• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

Don't talk nonsense then.

Nor has Costa been as bad as you make out (nor was Jota before that).

I'm not talking nonsense, I'm using my eyes.

You can't just say "no he wasn't" and then expect me to roll over at that. Equally I don't expect you to come around to my opinion of Adama simply because I say "he's not shit" and then scoff at you for disagreeing.

I'll tell you exactly why Adama Traore is shit, though I think everyone is sick of hearing it now.

Ruben Neves had a good game at Arsenal, even you didn't see fit to single him out for criticism in the verdict thread. You're trying to make a narrative fit when it doesn't. But yeah, fuck it. Sell the bastard. I never liked him anyway.

Anonymous and shit are not the same.

Ruben's been poor lately, that doesn't mean I think we should get rid. He's absolutely still the player at the club with the highest potential. Doesn't mean he gets a free pass when he's on a bad run of form.

At the time it wasn't worth singling him out because he hadn't been poor for nearly two months straight.

Fuck knows why anybody would entertain the notion that Neves was anonymous or shit against Arsenal. He bossed the midfield for the first 45 minutes. When Gundouzi came on he then dropped in and read the game like Petit and Silva did for all those years in Arsenal's midfield.

Neves was just grand against Arsenal

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Anonymous and shit are not the same.

Ruben's been poor lately, that doesn't mean I think we should get rid. He's absolutely still the player at the club with the highest potential. Doesn't mean he gets a free pass when he's on a bad run of form.

At the time it wasn't worth singling him out because he hadn't been poor for nearly two months straight.

Oh Alan. my sweet summer child. The match does carry on outside the borders of your television screen. Things happen in a match to which you're not privy.

Again, the condescension is really unnecessary.

Ok, well on the other side of the coin, we find it "unnecessary" when you slate the likes of Jota when you can't possibly have seen what he's put into a game and what his work does to us as a team.

Also when you flat out call performances "unacceptable" really grates.

Yeah, I'll just shut my mouth from now on when performances aren't good.

Just because a player is the new anointed one doesn't mean they should get a pass when they start playing poorly.

Frankly, the attitude toward them getting called out for it is a bit unacceptable. Being treated like a child really grates, surprisingly.

Neves is not shit but the midfield balance is questionable.

Instead of civil war lets discuss the realities so I will start with a question.

Is Neves/Mountinho partnership too samey or is Saiss a better option with either?

Personally I think when teams set up to stop us they probably are too samey but when we play somebody who believes in themselves and their system they are OK (at the very least)

I love Neves but I think that Saiss gives us a better option with Moutinho as he likes to get forward. (against the teams who just try to negate us)

That said with MGW in the mix it is even more confusing. If he plays behind a 2 then drops into most advanced midfield player without the ball its 50/50 if you want Neves/Moutinho or Saiss behind him but going forward its Moutinho for me.
That said Neves is class and leaving him out for Saiss seems strange.
I tell you what I am glad it aint me making the choices

Interesting.

I think we saw the solution already.

---Jota-------------------------Jiminez
----------------MGW
-------Moutinho--------Neves

Interesting.

----------------MGW

Long term, I agree. I also, though, think it is imperative that Neves rediscover his good form. We all know what he's capable of and, IMO, he isn't delivering it just now.

Not sure why that's so controversial.

Yeah, I'll just shut my mouth from now on when performances aren't good.

Didn’t you tell me to “just fuck off”, or words to that effect literally last weekend when this was exactly what I was doing?

You can’t have it both ways. It’s very hypocritical.

Interesting.

----------------MGW
Don't think that solves the problem personally. We still lack that Saiss type player who will sit a little bit more with the ability to get the ball back. I know Moutinho can do it slightly, as can Neves, but neither is a Kante / Torreira

We do seem linked to quite a few CMs / DMs so perhaps Nuno agrees.

Since Watford actually set up to diffuse our tactics by overloading the central midfield, the Neves/Moutinho combination has struggled to bear fruit.

Since Watford actually set up to diffuse our tactics by overloading the central midfield, the Neves/Moutinho combination has struggled to bear fruit.
It's clear to me that the correct partnership is Saiss + either/or. I hope Nuno doesn't bottle it tomorrow.

It's clear to me that the correct partnership is Saiss + either/or. I hope Nuno doesn't bottle it tomorrow.

If we're sticking with 2 in the middle then yeah, I think you're right, but with MGW dropping in as a 3rd man from up top, we could go back to Moutinho and Neves again - they're undoubtedly both better players than Saiss.

If we're sticking with 2 in the middle then yeah, I think you're right, but with MGW dropping in as a 3rd man from up top, we could go back to Moutinho and Neves again - they're undoubtedly both better players than Saiss.
Even then I like the alternative element that Saiss gives us, it's him that allowed Moutinho to have the influence he did against Chelsea. I do appreciate that that Moutinho, Neves and MGW haven't started as a 3 yet though so it's just an opinion rather than fact. If we were going that route then Bournemouth would be a side suited to it

Back