• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

By his own high standards last season he's been below that a fair bit.

I think a major factor is that playing alongside Moutinho instead of Saiss he's anchored deeper because Joao likes to get forward more. Next to Saiss he was often the one stepping up to the halfway line and beyond to spray the ball around creatively and have the opportunity for through balls. In a deeper role he either has to keep it moving more simply or go for the crossfield ball.

He's not been anything like as bad as people are making out.

He didn't have a "bad" game on Sunday, he was shite against Huddersfield but so was everyone bar Coady and Vinagre.

I think its because he has been nowhere near as good as last year. Like Costa has been poor but we are comparing him to the higher standards he had set. Personally I dont think thats harsh. Patricio gets some extra scrutiny because he is touted as a world class keeper. Neves is touted as a world class midfielder. He hasnt shown that so far enough this season. Fair assessment for me.

The social media shouting doesn't help. Probably one game away from being classed as Ruben Ferguson on there...

He didn't have a "bad" game on Sunday, he was shite against Huddersfield but so was everyone bar Coady and Vinagre.

To clarify my own post (can't speak for others), I'm not suggesting he's another Costa out there or anything, but when lighting up the Championship his ascendancy seemed obvious and inevitable. He just hasn't had that same wow-factor this year, and I see nothing in his performance that says "Surely Juventus will swoop in any minute!". That doesn't mean I think he's played *horribly* though.

That I think he needs a rest right now and has some sharpness needing to be regained is a separate discussion entirely.

If we'd signed Neves this season without the goodwill from last I think he'd be getting a lot of stick. August was decent, beyond that not really. Ridiculous shooooot which I hold him and the fans in equal blame for and can't get his set piece delivery right.

I thought he'd dominate the midfield on Sunday being back alongside Saiss but he didn't and when against 10 men didn't set the tempo we needed him to. My own theory is he's either intimated by or in awe of Moutinho which is stopping him from really opening up.

Linked with Jean-Clair Todibo from Toulouse along with Lyon, Leipzig, Dortmund, Juve & Inter.

Defensive mid who has been moved back to CB.

I think last season he was good before Christmas but it wasn't till late November he became excellent think back to Sheffield Wed, Sheffield Utd, Bolton, Leeds etc and really stood out for e.g. Douglas was still on free kicks until Brentford at home.

Have thought for a while it's taking a similar path this season. He's ticked along and done a few eye catching things but it might not be until the new year we see the very best of him.

By his own high standards last season he's been below that a fair bit.

I think a major factor is that playing alongside Moutinho instead of Saiss he's anchored deeper because Joao likes to get forward more. Next to Saiss he was often the one stepping up to the halfway line and beyond to spray the ball around creatively and have the opportunity for through balls. In a deeper role he either has to keep it moving more simply or go for the crossfield ball.

This.

And I really wish people would stop with the shoooooooot shouts.

This.

And I really wish people would stop with the shoooooooot shouts.

Anyone who shouted that at Bennett v Huddersfield should be banned from Molineux for 10 years as well

Other thing you probably need to factor in that he's 21 and has a new baby at home (I think). Christ's sake, when we had two young kids I just wanted to go to work, lie on my desk and fall asleep

100% this. Far too little about a players personal life is taken onto consideration when discussing their form. Babies, family health, etc all take a massive toll and are totally unseen by us the great unwashed.

I thought Neves was decent enough against Newcastle. The one thing I was disappointed in was his set pieces. He took 3 free kicks in dangerous areas around their box and all 3 were really poor, no excuse for that really.

100% this. Far too little about a players personal life is taken onto consideration when discussing their form. Babies, family health, etc all take a massive toll and are totally unseen by us the great unwashed.

players are allowed to be human, but fans are also allowed to call out their performances regardless of any external circumstances.

(I mean this generally, not specifically about neves)

Last edited:
Think with Neves that a fair few have expected at least a couple of thunderbolts into the top corner this season given what he produced last season.

He's been a little bit off, but any shot like that is fine margins - he needs to trust himself & not listen to the crowd

He is still a top player but I thought his passing was poor on Sunday, long and short, it happens, no player is on it in every game.
We'll have to get used to our best players being linked with big clubs, its the way Mendez works, Its going to take me a while to get used to not getting too attached to players.....nature of the beast when you're moving in rhe circles we are going to be

Think with Neves that a fair few have expected at least a couple of thunderbolts into the top corner this season given what he produced last season.

He's been a little bit off, but any shot like that is fine margins - he needs to trust himself & not listen to the crowd

I don't even think that, necessarily. He hasn't had any wondergoals, but his shooting has also been incredibly off target at times, and his killer passing instinct hasn't been put into play as often.

it seems like half the time he's trying to gather the ball from 5 yards in front of the defenders

For me he's just been totally anonymous since the bad run started. Not Costa levels of bad but still hugely disappointing.

If there's one thing Ruben Neves should never be, it's a passenger.

Well that certainly didn't apply vs Arsenal for a start.

Well that certainly didn't apply vs Arsenal for a start.

You'll have to remind me what he did, then, because he wasn't involved in the goal at all and nothing else about that performance stands out.

The condescension isn't necessary.

Back