• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

38m for raul?? woof

Basically that is his release fee. We agreed the 38m Euros when we signed him on loan and have the option to take that up in May. If we do go ahead, the £5m we paid for his loan deal will be included in that 38m

The thing is this 30m or whatever it is - that's just the release clause isn't it? Surely once the loan ends we can just negotiate a more sensible fee for him? Don't think Benfica are going to play him.

Wolves scout was present at Montpellier vs Lille on Tuesday.

Our colleagues at Le 10 Sport understand that a scout from Premier League side Wolves was present at this week’s encounter between Montpellier and Lille on Tuesday to watch three individuals playing for the Northern-based side in particular.

They are: Nicolas Pépé, Lille’s enigmatic forward, who incidentally got the winner in that game, and right-back Zeki Celik, as well as Portuguese midfielder Xeka.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...s-present-at-montpellier-vs-lille-on-tuesday/

The thing is this 30m or whatever it is - that's just the release clause isn't it? Surely once the loan ends we can just negotiate a more sensible fee for him? Don't think Benfica are going to play him.

We essentially have 1st call on him. We have a date set (probably end of May) where we can say to Benfica we will take that deal we agreed last year. After that, he is back on the open market. So while we could wait until June 1st and try for a better deal it is unlikey to happen. If we want him, we will pay what we agreed last summer

Too much money then in my book as much as I like him.

Contributed less to Wolves than Afobe has to Stoke with his 1 goal.

Hardly a fair comparison considering Donk has played 10 minutes and a couple of cup games. I know who my money is on when it comes to which of the two will be better value in the long run.

Mariah Afobe is a waste of space these days, we absolutely merked Stoke there.

Contributing to goals.

He has scored four, has five assists (six if you count his saved header at Cardiff being knocked in on the rebound) and has won a penalty too (which should count as an assist).
Scored 5 if you count the perfectly good goal ruled out against Spurs.

Hardly a fair comparison considering Donk has played 10 minutes and a couple of cup games. I know who my money is on when it comes to which of the two will be better value in the long run.

Well he's not been injured, he's been available for essentially every game so it's still a fair comparison in terms of total minutes available compared to their output.

Was said earlier but I don't think Fosun care much about the exact numbers involved.

They will do, we may have a lot of money but everyone works to some form of budget and 30m is a good chunk out of it.

OR we could trust our scouts.

You can't go out and sign 'proven' Premier League players every time. Not in our position.

Anyway, this is another Timbo v A Bola fight to the death. Spiers is adamant there's nothing in it and A Bola think it's done and dusted.

I do trust our scouts (I don’t play FM anymore so my international football knowledge is poor these days). And I’ve not said I want “proven PL player”. I just don’t reckon a 24yr old doing ok In a poor Portuguese team/league is going to be any better than Costa/Jota/Cav who are all cheaper, younger and better CVs.

Now just off the top of my head, I’d rather we sign Lozano who isn’t “proven PL” but has a solid CV and wouldn’t be that much more expensive. (Now please don’t go into the intricacies - “PSV wont sell him”, “he wouldn’t come” etc. I’m just using this as an example to say we can spend a bit more money and get someone who I’m more confident will improve the first team.

They will do, we may have a lot of money but everyone works to some form of budget and 30m is a good chunk out of it.

We can make a loss of £39m per season over three seasons in the top flight. With all the TV money coming in, plus you can guarantee Fosun will be finding ways of growing our commercial income substantially. Unless we were throwing £80-£90m each at players, I am pretty sure that we can keep within that guideline. Plus, don't forget it really only applies if you make Europe as it is a UEFA issue.

Our bigger concern is wage bill limits. We can go up to around £81m this year, and can raise it by £7m next year, even if commercial income doesn't grow. That's an extra player on £70k a week each season.

Now we are in the top flight I don't believe FFP is even an issue for us. Not at this stage. We can't go out an sign Hazard, Mbappe, Neymar and Bale. But we can compete very well in the transfer and wages market to aim at just below the big boys.

We can make a loss of £39m per season over three seasons in the top flight. With all the TV money coming in, plus you can guarantee Fosun will be finding ways of growing our commercial income substantially. Unless we were throwing £80-£90m each at players, I am pretty sure that we can keep within that guideline. Plus, don't forget it really only applies if you make Europe as it is a UEFA issue.

Our bigger concern is wage bill limits. We can go up to around £81m this year, and can raise it by £7m next year, even if commercial income doesn't grow. That's an extra player on £70k a week each season.

Now we are in the top flight I don't believe FFP is even an issue for us. Not at this stage. We can't go out an sign Hazard, Mbappe, Neymar and Bale. But we can compete very well in the transfer and wages market to aim at just below the big boys.

Whilst all that may be true. The statement that Fosun won't care about transfer fees is incorrect.

Oh yes - they are an investment business so will want value for money. This is where we differ. You think the fee for Raul is excessive. I think it is market rate.

Back