• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

You mean like we trust them with Traore?

This, 'we must trust them' is crap. They've done a reasonable job buying Portuguese players and those in the Mendes network but outside of that we've not got a great track record. It's early days though and this lad may be brilliant. I seems odd to be going for a player in the same position as Traore, almost like an admission of failure.

I would've thought we'd be in for another striker in the mould of Raul and a RWB to compete/ replace Doc. We seem to have everything else covered.

Sack them all, then.

/closethread

(Wasn't it Nuno himself who insisted on signing Adama?)

Traore is our plan B, which worked fine at the start of the season. I can see exactly why our scouts and wolves wanted him - he is very different to our other IFs and different for a reason. Anyway there is a different thread for exactly this sort of nonsense.

£18m for a plan B isn't nonsense. It's piss poor recruitment and recruitment is what this thread is about.

£18m for a plan B isn't nonsense. It's piss poor recruitment and recruitment is what this thread is about.

Not really, £18m for Wolves & Fosun is peanuts. If it gives us a viable plan B (as it did earlier in the season) then its well worth it.

Not really, £18m for Wolves & Fosun is peanuts. If it gives us a viable plan B (as it did earlier in the season) then its well worth it.

I think I'd rather our record signing in our first season after promotion to the top flight was a player to walk into the first team. It isn't very good recruitment for a newly promoted club to be buying plan B's when you need to improve plan A first.

The amount spent on each transfer really doesn't bother me anymore TBH, because it's not like the Tomasz Frankowski situation when we chucked the remainder of our available budget at a dud who turned out to be shit. Normally, the price we pay isn't the value of the player (or anything to do with how good they are) but is what the selling club asks for. Pretty simple really.

Is Traore worth £13m more than Moutinho? No, of course not.

Different argument to whether they were well scouted or not but I wouldn't pay too much attention to transfer fees under Fosun as it's not like that's the last of our cash, and we've only got coppers and those annoying, fiddly little 5p coins left in Jeff Shi's wallet.

I think I'd rather our record signing in our first season after promotion to the top flight was a player to walk into the first team. It isn't very good recruitment for a newly promoted club to be buying plan B's when you need to improve plan A first.

Not sure that is correct. You could easily see last season we lacked the ability to change our attackign style (Forest, Fulham away etc) - Traore really does offer something completely different and if we can use him as we did against West Ham then great. Money doesn't really matter as Langers says

If I were to spend a huge chunk of money regardless of budget (of which Shi and Dalrymple have both said they are trying to stay within FFP regulation) on something which isn't going to yield immediate results or at the very least show promise that I've made the right decision then people within my business would be rightly fucked off.

If I did it at home then the wife would be fucking livid and I'd be sleeping outside with the mouse corpses the cat keeps bringing to us.

Not sure that is correct. You could easily see last season we lacked the ability to change our attackign style (Forest, Fulham away etc) - Traore really does offer something completely different and if we can use him as we did against West Ham then great. Money doesn't really matter as Langers says

I can't agree with that logic at all. I can't see how Traore would've made a difference against either Cardiff or Forest last season and plan A worked perfectly fine for 90% of the time.

A newly promoted team trying to have a plan B before improving plan A seems silly logic to me.

To add to that Traore was the biggest signing of the window and rightly people expect something of a player who is the record signing to be an instant impact. We're not in the top 6 where we can be buying players for potential and let them have time to bed in, we need to get to that level first and I can't imagine there was a queue for Traore and we'd get gazumped if we didn't move immediately.

I'm still not convinced in our scouting department yet. I don't think they've found anybody any good that Jorge hasn't.

You mean like we trust them with Traore?

This, 'we must trust them' is crap. They've done a reasonable job buying Portuguese players and those in the Mendes network but outside of that we've not got a great track record. It's early days though and this lad may be brilliant. I seems odd to be going for a player in the same position as Traore, almost like an admission of failure.

I would've thought we'd be in for another striker in the mould of Raul and a RWB to compete/ replace Doc. We seem to have everything else covered.

Ah brilliant, we haven’t had a Traore discussion for a while,...

I can't agree with that logic at all. I can't see how Traore would've made a difference against either Cardiff or Forest last season and plan A worked perfectly fine for 90% of the time.

A newly promoted team trying to have a plan B before improving plan A seems silly logic to me.

But we did improve - we signed Moutinho, Raul, Jonny & Dendonker - nearly 40% of the team, all better players, plus made others permenant.

Its not an either / or decison to improve or have another option - we needed (and did) both, its just we weren't to knpw Jota wouldn't start well, Cav would be injured and Costa would be pap. Back end of last season we struggled at times to score and create and partly relied on Afobe as our Plan B, he didn't fit and Nuno didn;t want him, ergo we needed another option.

Edit - so many typos, but I cba to fix them

Ah brilliant, we haven’t had a Traore discussion for a while,...

Do you have a problem with reading?

Here's a clue, the discussion is about recruitment. If you've got nothing to add, much like you never have, then kindly do one.

But we did improve - we signed Moutinho, Raul, Jonny & Dendonker - nearly 40% of the team, all better players, plus made others permenant.

Its not an either / or decison to improve or have another option - we needed (and did) both, its just we weren't to knpw Jota wouldn't start well, Cav would be injured and Costa would be pap. Back end of last season we struggled at times to score and create and partly relied on Afobe as our Plan B, he didn't fit and Nuno didn;t want him, ergo we needed another option.

Edit - so many typos, but I cba to fix them

Yes, I edited my post whilst you were typing. There's no way our scouting team improved our team it was clearly Jorge's connections to the players you've listed along with the Benfica connection.

I guess that's why we have turned them over at the end of the window.

I would add it is certainly an either/ or discussion. You have a limited time to get players in to a newly promoted team, the plan A is always to improve that team first as if you don't you can have as many plan B's as you like, you'll still struggle.

Yes, I edited my post whilst you were typing. There's no way our scouting team improved our team it was clearly Jorge's connections to the players you've listed along with the Benfica connection.

I guess that's why we have turned them over at the end of the window.

I would add it is certainly an either/ or discussion. You have a limited time to get players in to a newly promoted team, the plan A is always to improve that team first as if you don't you can have as many plan B's as you like, you'll still struggle.

I don't disagree with that at all - if the Pritchard link is true it just shows our scouting network is very poor.

I don't disagree with that at all - if the Pritchard link is true it just shows our scouting network is very poor.

I'm hoping that's just an agent pushing his clients name around.

I very much doubt the Pritchard story to be honest. The Sun's hit rate is up there with Talkshite.

Portimonense president on Shoya Nakajima to Wolves: “There has been a conversation, but it is not yet 100% finalised, but it is possible already in January. Nakajima is 80% at Wolverhampton... he is a great player and we will all regret his departure.” (Radio Renascença)

giphy.gif

I was quite hoping we'd sign Pritchard a couple of years ago when he ended up signing for Norwich but things are completely different now. Not an improvement on our side so hope it isn't true.

Know literally nothing about Nakajima so can't say anything about that.

If the Nakajima thing's true at a guess I'd say Costa's in the firing line. Cav has the flexibility to play across the front 3 and already has a couple goals (with a couple bad performances mixed in, mind)

Costa's had a couple good games but has generally underwhelmed. Bit early for Traore to be written off yet as well.

Back