• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter 2018/19 Transfer Thread

I'd be happy with Origi, I think he's underrated.

Yep me too.

Yeah. I was surprised to see how negative the first few responses to that link were. My mate who is a Liverpool fan thinks he is underrated. He said he is the kind of forward that links play with the midfield and wide forwards - said he's very skillful in and around the box and can play neat little one two's in dangerous areas. Comparing him to Raul he felt he wasn't as strong in the air, but is quicker - so they could compliment each other nicely or certainly give us a different option whenever we need it.

For £20m I would say that's reasonable business by us and by Liverpool (as he's never going to get a proper run there).

Some people think we're waiting for the likes of Lewandowski to be available. Origi would be a great signing.

Origi would be exactly the sort of player we'd be looking for. The only reason to complain if we went after him would be if you were expecting us to pull a 30 goal a season striker out of thin air.

I don't think Origi's a particularly good footballer, he's LukakuLite (or AfobeMax) for me. Touch isn't very good and doesn't put in the work that Raul does. I'm sure he'd find a place in some team or other but I couldn't see it working here. That's not to say I'm right though.

He was dirt for Wolfsburg last season too.

I quite like Origi but I'm not sure if he fits our profile of forward that we want. We have signed three (four if you include Mir I guess) strikers under Nuno. Leo and Raul have performed similar roles, whereas Afobe looked less comfortable but offered movement in behind and a better quality of finishing - compared to Leo at that point anyway).

Maybe we want a forward with better movement in behind opposition defences which Origi may be better suited to, and he is pretty quick too, but how much would it change how we play - and would that be a positive? If Nuno is seeking that alternative I can understand it I guess. His goal record for Liverpool is better than I thought.

I'm on the fence basically :)

I think he could play any one of the three forward roles, but not so sure he could do it consistently. Good player but like Traore I'm not sure the brain is there for Nuno's system.

Not averse to him, but am unsure he is worth £20m personally.

The fact that we are discussing signing players at £20m (& I haven't enough of his play to know whether that's a fair value or whether he would fit our style) and not all are excited shows how far we have moved on in the last few years.

Back then we were bringing in Joe Mason for £3m (& that was an excessive fee for what he brought) & Grant Holt on loan :facepalm:

I think he could play any one of the three forward roles, but not so sure he could do it consistently. Good player but like Traore I'm not sure the brain is there for Nuno's system.
If he doesn't have the brain for Nuno's system why did Nuno sign him?

Because like all men, deep down Nuno is attracted to things that go really fast.

I don't think there's any grand plan for Adama. We just hope he'll learn how to play football some day, if he does then we'll have some player rather than a physical freak of nature (which is still of some limited use sometimes).

Adama is our 'something different'. He's our solution when people say we need to go four at the back etc, there genuinely isn't anyone else like him in the premier League.

He's already helped create and score goals, he's doing alright and probably doing exactly what Nuno wanted him for. He's certainly been more effective than the TWF poster boy IFs.

Adama is our 'something different'. He's our solution when people say we need to go four at the back etc, there genuinely isn't anyone else like him in the premier League.

He's already helped create and score goals, he's doing alright and probably doing exactly what Nuno wanted him for. He's certainly been more effective than the TWF poster boy IFs.

Debatable, Cav has scored two goals for a start. Plus I imagine Nuno didn't fancy spending £18m on a bloke who has been capable of starting one game up to late November (and he was rubbish).

He is what he is, I can see why we bought him, but you can't have a masterplan for him. Who knows what he'll turn out to be. He might never progress from what he is. He might knit it all together over the next few months or even years, and then we'll have a ridiculous footballer on our hands. That's the gamble I suppose, we have a very expensive trinket or we could turn the roughest of diamonds into a precious asset.

At the moment - and this really puzzles me, given he spent so long at Barcelona - it's like he's never had any coaching whatsoever before he arrived here. We have at least stopped him hanging around the halfway line quite so much, we don't want you there mate.

Debatable, Cav has scored two goals for a start. Plus I imagine Nuno didn't spend £18m on a bloke who has been capable of starting one game up to late November (and he was rubbish).

He is what he is, I can see why we bought him, but you can't have a masterplan for him. Who knows what he'll turn out to be. He might never progress from what he is. He might knit it altogether over the next few months or even years, and then we'll have a ridiculous footballer on our hands.

At the moment - and this really puzzles me, given he spent so long at Barcelona - it's like he's never had any coaching whatsoever before he arrived here. We have at least stopped him hanging around the halfway line quite so much, we don't want you there mate.

Not sure how old Adama is, but if you compare the thought process between him & MGW (who is clearer younger) then there is no comparison.

He does have attributes, but not sure he can ever be more than an impact late on when opposition defenders are waiting for the whistle

Adama is 23 in January, young but not a callow kid now.

I can accept that Sherwood and Pulis didn't bother coaching him but he spent over a decade at La Masia! And he appears to have picked nothing up at all.

Adama is 23 in January, young but not a callow kid now.

I can accept that Sherwood and Pulis didn't bother coaching him but he spent over a decade at La Masia! And he appears to have picked nothing up at all.

Think that Pulis tried, but not sure that he's ever going to be any more than head down & outpace everyone (which he will do) - the end result is likely to 1 in 5 as a devastating result the rest will end up somewhere other than the goal.

Was he at Barcelona with pep as the manager? Perhaps that's why he seems to have had no coaching,such a ridiculously talented group,perhaps pep thought he didn't need to coach anyone at the club,after all anyone can look great if you've got loads of cash and some of the best players on the planet,I doubt pep could do it on say burnleys budget

It's as simple as this - Traore is not a smart man and ideas are going to take a long time to sink in, with most of the work coming on the practical side rather than the theoretical. To get things right, he'll need game time with Nuno barking in his ear a lot more than he'll need coaches walking him through tactics at the training ground. Same with Bright, except I truly believe if it wasn't for football, he'd be in a hole eating his own shit.

It's as simple as this - Traore is not a smart man and ideas are going to take a long time to sink in, with most of the work coming on the practical side rather than the theoretical. To get things right, he'll need game time with Nuno barking in his ear a lot more than he'll need coaches walking him through tactics at the training ground. Same with Bright, except I truly believe if it wasn't for football, he'd be in a hole eating his own shit.

How do you know he’s not “smart”?

You’re a smart (sexy, charismatic etc) chap and I bet you’re fucking shit on the football pitch. It’s like comparing apples & oranges.

Do we *really* have to do this Traore debate again?

How do you know he’s not “smart”?

You’re a smart (sexy, charismatic etc) chap and I bet you’re fucking shit on the football pitch. It’s like comparing apples & oranges.

Do we *really* have to do this Traore debate again?

Not sure that there is really a Traore debate - just that at 23 he should have worked out what he can do & what he can't - others we have seem to be doing so at an earlier age so there will always be a question mark over him unless he can resolve that.

Not unhappy that he is here as he scares the fecking daylights out of defenders at times, but he's not a rounded PL player (as yet)

Back