• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

I've started to explore a bit more in Fallout 4 now, found a few new places and done a couple of little side quests to get on people's good sides. I think it seems a lot more compact than Skyrim though, not sure if that's the case, a few times I've been checking out a new location I'd found then spotted something a little way down a road that looked interesting and before I know it I've discovered another new location within sight of the last one.

Probably need to start doing something with the settlements part of the game now as I've discovered 3-4 places that I can mess around with and not really done anything so far, would be helpful not to go all the way back home to ditch loot everytime I've been raiding.

Not a fan of the Ghouls either, horrible bastards. I've dealt with most other enemies quite well so far though, looking to copy my sneaky archer from Skyrim as a sneaky sniper, picking things off from distance where I can and saving VATS for when enemies get up close as my aim when hip firing is awful. Definitely need to find a more powerful gun soon though because what I've got now isn't great.

Settlements aren't vital although I do spend a silly amount of time messing around with them. They are useful because you can build stores in them. I have shops all over the map!

My weapon of the moment is a modified turbo hammer which does 235 points of damage with one blow.
There's not much that walks away from me alive!

Settlements aren't vital although I do spend a silly amount of time messing around with them. They are useful because you can build stores in them. I have shops all over the map!

My weapon of the moment is a modified turbo hammer which does 235 points of damage with one blow.
There's not much that walks away from me alive!

I'm shit with melee weapons, if I ever got overwhelmed on Skyrim I just used to summon a load of creatures and run away but thankfully I haven't really found myself in that situation yet on Fallout, 3 Ghouls charging after me is the worst I've had so far.

I've not found any stores anywhere yet either so I've just got stacks and stacks of shitty pipe guns and Raider armour piling up in Sanctuary until I find someone to sell it to. Though I was reading something the other day that mentioned arming your settlers with better stuff to improve defences in lieu of building turrets and things so I might craft some improvements onto them and hand them out.

I'm shit with melee weapons, if I ever got overwhelmed on Skyrim I just used to summon a load of creatures and run away but thankfully I haven't really found myself in that situation yet on Fallout, 3 Ghouls charging after me is the worst I've had so far.

I've not found any stores anywhere yet either so I've just got stacks and stacks of shitty pipe guns and Raider armour piling up in Sanctuary until I find someone to sell it to. Though I was reading something the other day that mentioned arming your settlers with better stuff to improve defences in lieu of building turrets and things so I might craft some improvements onto them and hand them out.

You will stumble across some merchants as you keep exploring.

Tip but no spoilers.....there are some places you can find outside the map boundary.

I also use conjuration in Skyrim all the time. I'm just about to begin my final playthrough in Skyrim now I know that I am getting the enhanced edition for Christmas.....maybe I should try a sneaky build for a change.......

I've never used a build like that. Any hints or tips?

Well, the first tip is to use sneak in the cave at the start to kill the bear with an arrow. Free easy sneak skill points. Sneaking around is fairly simple enough but I have always struggled with picking pockets. After that I guess head to the thieves guild or astrid as soon as the plot allows you rather than checking out the companions early doors.

I personally have used smack everything on the head or fireball the entire universe characters.

i did sneak, conjuration, archery route. never needed to fight close up very much. didn't pickpocket much, but sneak for the backstab when you can take out difficult opponents comfortably.

there are probably easier ways but i went out to the coast where the seal-like creatures were and just sneaked around them for a while. plus get a few critical hits on them with arrows, retreat, sneak and repeat, to get levels up.

EDIT: meant to add sneak is perfect with conjuration HW, as you can get pretty close to key enemies without being picked up, then zap in the one, then two dremora lords, step back unseen and survey the carnage. you don't want or need heavy armour with a sneak build.

the sneak, sniper route is probably as close as you get to it in Fallout4 and i went with that too.

Last edited:
I'm probably not the best yo advise as my character ended up that way through circumstance more so than design.

I started off as one of the lizardy things because I wanted to breathe underwater and be immune from diseases. Think the Elf was a better choice if I'd been set on archery from the start but I only went down that road because I was a massive coward who didn't want to get involved. I probably wasted a few early level ups on irrelevant perks too but remember there being some for enhanced damage with ranged weapons and sneak attacks that were very useful. I used to stick with very heavy armour too which probably wasn't in keeping with what someone going down that route would opt for but again I was a big girl's blouse.

Actually I think I've probably made a mess of my Fallout character too as I didn't understand the perks system at first. Might start again seen as I've barely begun and do it right this time.

Well, that's made up my mind then. I think I'm going to be a sneaky bow carrying mage.
This is so different to any build I've ever played before in a Bethesda game.

Roll on Christmas!

I'm going to start Fallout again in a bit, need to work out what Perks I need to focus on first and then I can gear my character that way rather than take a flyer on what stats to start off with and waste my first few level ups on the wrong things as I have so far, should only take a couple of days to catch up to where I am anyway now I know what I'm doing.

I'm going to start Fallout again in a bit, need to work out what Perks I need to focus on first and then I can gear my character that way rather than take a flyer on what stats to start off with and waste my first few level ups on the wrong things as I have so far, should only take a couple of days to catch up to where I am anyway now I know what I'm doing.

if you want to go stealth/sniper (but not melee), you don't need strength or intelligence. can't remember what I did exactly but I shoved a lot into agility and luck. the Luck perks become pretty devastating at higher levels and I think I only got to level 38 or something around that. I also got to add a mystery hitman perk - it's not called that but occasionally a guy turns up from nowhere and finishes off the victim. it may seem a little bit ropey early on and you have to avoid melee but if you stick with it everything gets a lot easier. I checked this link out before starting.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/fallou...sniper-and-melee-perks-tips-and-tricks-493797

if you want to go stealth/sniper (but not melee), you don't need strength or intelligence. can't remember what I did exactly but I shoved a lot into agility and luck. the Luck perks become pretty devastating at higher levels and I think I only got to level 38 or something around that. I also got to add a mystery hitman perk - it's not called that but occasionally a guy turns up from nowhere and finishes off the victim. it may seem a little bit ropey early on and you have to avoid melee but if you stick with it everything gets a lot easier. I checked this link out before starting.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/fallou...sniper-and-melee-perks-tips-and-tricks-493797

I've just been looking through the perk list and there were only a couple in the Strength column that held any interest for me, armour crafting and extra carry weight, there's still quite a few Intelligence ones that I'd like to make use of though, few in there that sound like they'll aid with crafting as you go on. I'd consider a lot of the Luck perks to be nice to have but by no means essential. My bigger problem with the perks last time out is that I didn't understand what granted the ability to select them, so when I created my character I just filled up the stars where I thought they'd be useful without knowing what they enabled later down the line, I'd be working on the assumption you needed all the previous perks in whichever column to unlock the one you wanted and thus wasted most of my level ups.

I'm by no means a connoisseur but I just prefer to attack from distance where I can plan what I'm doing and easily escape rather than get overrun, panic and lash out wildly until I die.

Well, that's made up my mind then. I think I'm going to be a sneaky bow carrying mage.
This is so different to any build I've ever played before in a Bethesda game.

Roll on Christmas!

nice. that's the sort of the build I used back in morrowind days. but I don't think I ever got to high level conjuration because I think you could pick up loads of conjuration wands. so you could swamp most enemies with a pack of conjured things whilst staying safe and zapping them with either heavy duty spelled arrows or killer destruction spells.

I've just been looking through the perk list and there were only a couple in the Strength column that held any interest for me, armour crafting and extra carry weight, there's still quite a few Intelligence ones that I'd like to make use of though, few in there that sound like they'll aid with crafting as you go on. I'd consider a lot of the Luck perks to be nice to have but by no means essential. My bigger problem with the perks last time out is that I didn't understand what granted the ability to select them, so when I created my character I just filled up the stars where I thought they'd be useful without knowing what they enabled later down the line, I'd be working on the assumption you needed all the previous perks in whichever column to unlock the one you wanted and thus wasted most of my level ups.

I'm by no means a connoisseur but I just prefer to attack from distance where I can plan what I'm doing and easily escape rather than get overrun, panic and lash out wildly until I die.

the sniper/sneak route is definitely what you want. sneak in, line up the enemy, critical hit, back off if you need to until you're invisible again. sneak back in, repeat. too easy tbh. the luck perks are great, especially when you get your critical hit monitor restored regularly later on. really handy when you're taking a group down. also the better criticals which for a sniper means you can typically take out high level enemies with one critical hit sniper shot.

the sniper/sneak route is definitely what you want. sneak in, line up the enemy, critical hit, back off if you need to until you're invisible again. sneak back in, repeat. too easy tbh. the luck perks are great, especially when you get your critical hit monitor restored regularly later on. really handy when you're taking a group down. also the better criticals which for a sniper means you can typically take out high level enemies with one critical hit sniper shot.

Does the critical hit thing come into play all the time or only when you're using VATS? I always go for sniping manually and then use VATS when I get found out rather than just spraying bullets around everywhere.

Does the critical hit thing come into play all the time or only when you're using VATS? I always go for sniping manually and then use VATS when I get found out rather than just spraying bullets around everywhere.

you use one of the buttons for the critical as you shoot so it's not automatic (I don't think). as a sniper I tended to sneak in and then use VATS to choose who and what part of them to hit, particularly as VATS tells you your % chance of hitting. so if you want a critical you can choose the highest %. it may seem a bit formulaic, but that's what snipers are about!

you use one of the buttons for the critical as you shoot so it's not automatic (I don't think). as a sniper I tended to sneak in and then use VATS to choose who and what part of them to hit, particularly as VATS tells you your % chance of hitting. so if you want a critical you can choose the highest %. it may seem a bit formulaic, but that's what snipers are about!

I much to prefer to do my sniping manually, VATS is just a backup when I've messed it up and something's charging down at me.

I'll have my character so he's got the basics for sneaking/sniping covered but then I tend to just adlib things a bit and make him a bit of a packhorse crafting machine.

I much to prefer to do my sniping manually, VATS is just a backup when I've messed it up and something's charging down at me.

I'll have my character so he's got the basics for sneaking/sniping covered but then I tend to just adlib things a bit and make him a bit of a packhorse crafting machine.

fair enough. the great thing about these games is you find the way that suits you and you enjoy playing.

I didn't even bother to do any crafting in the end, never felt the need to. I pretty much just carry weapons and ammo, health and any weight allocation I have left, I use for spare armour which I rarely use. haven't needed heavy weapons so haven't had to wear the power armour very much. the only issue with weight has been picking up heavy kit/weapons that looks nice just to dump in a store and never use.

fair enough. the great thing about these games is you find the way that suits you and you enjoy playing.

I didn't even bother to do any crafting in the end, never felt the need to. I pretty much just carry weapons and ammo, health and any weight allocation I have left, I use for spare armour which I rarely use. haven't needed heavy weapons so haven't had to wear the power armour very much. the only issue with weight has been picking up heavy kit/weapons that looks nice just to dump in a store and never use.

I didn't really care for the power armour when I used it in that early mission, can't see me bothering to track any down in the future especially when it uses up resource and potentially just leaves you stranded if you run out.

I like to craft weapons/armour to improve them rather than just buy/scavege better things, can be a good way of bumping XP and making easy money too when I've found some traders.

I didn't really care for the power armour when I used it in that early mission, can't see me bothering to track any down in the future especially when it uses up resource and potentially just leaves you stranded if you run out.

I like to craft weapons/armour to improve them rather than just buy/scavege better things, can be a good way of bumping XP and making easy money too when I've found some traders.

if you find some power armour just put it on and take it to store somewhere. it will be useful later for a couple of missions later on.

hardly spent anything so haven't needed any cash. until my nephews showed up and made me buy an Overseer's gun from one of the Vaults. good weapon mind with a double shot.

if you find some power armour just put it on and take it to store somewhere. it will be useful later for a couple of missions later on.

hardly spent anything so haven't needed any cash. until my nephews showed up and made me buy an Overseer's gun from one of the Vaults. good weapon mind with a double shot.

I hardly ever use the power armour. I just carry a load of stimpacks and radaway.

A lot of people complain about companions getting in the way, but I have found them really useful and they all have an interesting back story which can lead to extra perks.

I'm just about to venture into Far Harbour....it looks really spooky. Quite different from the main area.

Bethesda games are my gaming joy!!

I hardly ever use the power armour. I just carry a load of stimpacks and radaway.

A lot of people complain about companions getting in the way, but I have found them really useful and they all have an interesting back story which can lead to extra perks.

I'm just about to venture into Far Harbour....it looks really spooky. Quite different from the main area.

Bethesda games are my gaming joy!!

I'd not ran out of any medical supplies yet before I restarted either.

I always take a companion with me, as I did on Skyrim too, the only time they ever bother me is if you're sneaking around somewhere very quiet and they keep making little noises that make you think there's something else around, the dog on Fallout is a bad offender for this, but I'd rather have them there to carry stuff, back you up or just serve as a distraction 99 times out of 100.

Back