• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2024/25 - Everything Not Wolves

It’s an oligopoly rather than monopoly.

/pedant

Fairly predictable that the owners would want a bigger name in charge at the first opportunity to get rid of Howe.

He's good but he's not elite. He's had basically one spectacular season and a load of other decent (but no more) ones.

Rashford scored 30+ goals a couple of years ago, you wouldn't find it easy to sell him now.

Juan Mata joins Western Sydney Wanderers in the A League.

Yeah, I saw Luis Garcia play for the Mariners. You can see the class.
Sometimes the class tells but it can be surprisingly absent from some of them. Pirlo and Gerrard mostly just looked like old men, even in MLS.

Sometimes the class tells but it can be surprisingly absent from some of them. Pirlo and Gerrard mostly just looked like old men, even in MLS.

I can understand it with Gerrard as he was all action but Pirlo surprises me. He was a yard quicker in the head than nearly all others and I would have thought that it still would have been on display in MLS.

I can understand it with Gerrard as he was all action but Pirlo surprises me. He was a yard quicker in the head than nearly all others and I would have thought that it still would have been on display in MLS.
Suppose it depends what he's got around him too - if people aren't on the same wavelength then he could easily get shut down with his lack of mobility, that first yard in the head only gains you so much breathing space.

Agree on both. It was legitimately shocking to watch Pirlo at NYCFC and matches would almost happen around him.

Obviously he still had skills that simply couldn’t (and still can’t) be replicated in MLS. But in open play it was like “I dunno who this guy is but the real Pirlo must be off with Tupac, Biggie, and 1982 Michael Jackson on that island”.

Suppose it depends what he's got around him too - if people aren't on the same wavelength then he could easily get shut down with his lack of mobility, that first yard in the head only gains you so much breathing space.
Very true. Same with Kaka at Orlando and to a lesser extent Schweinsteiger at Chicago.

Agree on both. It was legitimately shocking to watch Pirlo at NYCFC and matches would almost happen around him.

Obviously he still had skills that simply couldn’t (and still can’t) be replicated in MLS. But in open play it was like “I dunno who this guy is but the real Pirlo must be off with Tupac, Biggie, and 1982 Michael Jackson on that island”.
Add David Villa to that mix.

Kaká is remembered fondly? Not sure why he’s been mentioned.

Schweinsteiger was physically way over the hill but Chicago have legitimately been terrible for over a decade. So fair enough on him.

Kaká is remembered fondly? Not sure why he’s been mentioned.

Schweinsteiger was physically way over the hill but Chicago have legitimately been terrible for over a decade. So fair enough on him.
He is in Orlando. Just been made their first Hall of Famer... which is something of a joke given he only played 75 games for them. But, my point was really in regard to people not being on the same wavelength. Only Kevin Molino was close to understanding him and even he wasn't that close really. It was highlighted in the All-Star game that first year when Kaka played with better players and you could see the class ooze out of him.

Back