• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

One is never too old to have a ' date night '

Getting to work on my free day (booked day off) after being asked if I'll work overtime and finding the shift is already covered as rosters messed up...Being told to go home and still being paid the full shift ;)

First 2 pints of British beer at Waterloo station. Off for a few more with mates tonight, then off for a curry later. Cant wait to watch my first match this year. COME ON WANDERERS.

School starting age should change, says minister
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34188808

Seems the best place to put this, I was born in August and although I don't remember a great deal of being 5yrs old the one thing that has stuck with me all my life is this.
I started school aged five in the fifties (no nursery then), after a few weeks I was taken out of the class I was in and put into the next year with kids who had already been at school for 1 year.
I had a shocking education and left school with hardly any qualifications, in those days nobody gave a fuck that being virtually twelve months younger than some of your classmates mattered.

First 2 pints of British beer at Waterloo station. Off for a few more with mates tonight, then off for a curry later. Cant wait to watch my first match this year. COME ON WANDERERS.

Welcome "home" THM...have a great night

A few beers, curry and a match, does it get any better than that :) enjoy thm.

Not sure if I have asked you this before, apologies if I have, but how long have you lived in Spain and where do you class as ' home ' these days?

A few beers, curry and a match, does it get any better than that :) enjoy thm.

Not sure if I have asked you this before, apologies if I have, but how long have you lived in Spain and where do you class as ' home ' these days?
About 24 years, I try to do 12 to 14 weeks in the UK a year. 2x6 or 2x7 at a time.

School starting age should change, says minister
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34188808

Seems the best place to put this, I was born in August and although I don't remember a great deal of being 5yrs old the one thing that has stuck with me all my life is this.
I started school aged five in the fifties (no nursery then), after a few weeks I was taken out of the class I was in and put into the next year with kids who had already been at school for 1 year.
I had a shocking education and left school with hardly any qualifications, in those days nobody gave a fuck that being virtually twelve months younger than some of your classmates mattered.

Wish they had done this earlier, my twins were born on the 29th August and are just 6, but started in year two today.

Luckily they are quite big for their age and already could read when they started, but it was very difficult at first being put into a class with children almost a year older.

I benefitted from going in younger (very late May birthday). I needed to be going that year quicker. Horses for courses and I think parents and pupils should have a choice about it.

Since my birthday is in November I didn't start until September the year after. I was one of the oldest in my year.

Problem for many parents is that there is pressure to accept the September start place offer as it won't necessarily be available if you wait till later in the year.

We are already turning people away who have moved into the village as we are full to capacity and have at least 3 children who probably aren't ready, but are in school as the parents couldn't afford to turn the place down as it wouldn't be there next summer. Needs to be more flexibility so that summer born children can, if needed, come in a year later but still start in the Reception year & not be forced to miss that one out.

Schools have no real discretion to vary the intake to take account of individual development levels.

Then again starting at 5 is not essential - my sisters kids in Denmark didn't start formal schooling till they were 7 & both are highly educated university graduates.

Back