• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

Must ignore work and keep up with things on here, as it takes me days to catch up !
Wombat and James, heartfelt congratulations to both of you ( and commiserations to the future Mrs James :) )
Paddy, want to be pleased for you but if you have any spare cash I'd like :

13195_bodyfrontM.jpg

Floyd Rose bridges scare the shit out of me!

Yes, GAK are really good. My son ordered some speaker stands from them and one was faulty when it arrived. They sent a replacement with no quibbles, and didn't even want the faulty one returned. You will get an email a day from them from now on though.

Floyd Rose bridges scare the shit out of me!

Really? I have got used to them over the years as they have a big advantage of staying in tune even through extreme trem pyrotechnics. No that hard to set up and keep in trim really, although I am slightly nervous about a seven string one!

The downside to a Floyd imho is that they can suck a bit of tone. Looking forward to contrasting the hardtail LP for that point, which I can see myself using for quite a lot of rythm tracks.

I've never had one so can't really comment with any authority or experience, but I don't like the thought of that much wood being scooped out of the body to accomodate them. I had heard that they're a nightmare to set up and annotate properly to get them to stay in tune. It's different courses for different horses though, I guess. I would never have the need to dive bomb ala Dimebag and a strat trem is about as far as it goes for me. I prefer thru-body hard tail. Seems the most sturdy and reliable setup.

I remember seeing a natty little video on YouTube demoing a way to setup your strat trem in such a way that it retuned itself on a full depress of the trem arm. Worked really well.

Really? I have got used to them over the years as they have a big advantage of staying in tune even through extreme trem pyrotechnics.

The downside to a Floyd imho is that they can suck a bit of tone. Looking forward to contrasting the hardtail LP for that point, which I can see myself using for quite a lot of rythm tracks.

I've never had one so can't really comment with any authority or experience, but I don't like the thought of that much wood being scooped out of the body to accomodate them. I had heard that they're a nightmare to set up and annotate properly to get them to stay in tune. It's different courses for different horses though, I guess. I would never have the need to dive bomb ala Dimebag and a strat trem is about as far as it goes for me. I prefer thru-body hard tail. Seems the most sturdy and reliable setup.

I remember seeing a natty little video on YouTube demoing a way to setup your strat trem in such a way that it retuned itself on a full depress of the trem arm. Worked really well.

Now I know how Frank feels when he reads requests about IT....

My first guitar had a strat trem. Nightmare when you are spending half the time doing teenage kerry king impressions. Since then I have always had FR bridges. Getting them set up properly can be a bit time-consuming, especially if you are changing your tuning dramatically (not a problem for me as all my guitars tend to be tuned to straight E flat, unless I drop the top E to drop D tuning) but once done they stay pretty well in tune for a good time. Regular string changes help that too. It is horses for courses definitely and I have used Floyds for over twenty years now (ulp!) and am really looking forward to a hard tail for the contrast when the LP gets here.

I am intrigued about today's new arrival (which is at home so hurry up and move work clock...) . Not only a 7 string but a very long scale (26.5" I think). Not quite a baritone, but I would imagine that the trem set-up will possibly be affected by that extra distance as the strings would need to be tighter to tune to e flat (well g flat on the seventh string but you know what I mean) than on a regular length neck. I will report back tomorrow on my findings and may have to stick a pick or two on FB.

Definitely need pics, sir.

I remember skimming through a sticky thread on the old Music Radar forums (RIP) about how to setup a FR properly. Was about 100 pages long and put me off for life. I have a hard enough time with the intonation on a strat/tele! Like I said though, it's not like I would ever use one for the type of stuff I'm into.

All the guitarists in the metal bands I played in used Floyd Rose. Great for fine tuning and pitch bending but a nightmare if you break a string onstage and you dont have a spare guitar.

Agreed. I have seen blokes with about six guitars in a rack so that they have main guitar and then a backup for each tuning they are using. Looks awesome, but somewhat expensive.

Had some work published in Microporous and Mesoporous Materials :)

Clicky

That's a fantastic achievement. Reading your abstract is it to do with materials that could be used in batteries for electric cars? Or am I completely off beam?

That's a fantastic achievement. Reading your abstract is it to do with materials that could be used in batteries for electric cars? Or am I completely off beam?

Not at all as it's in a similar area. The work we/I am doing is for an updated version of an ethanol/methanol fuel cell and if it becomes viable, it could be used there down the line. Fuel cells tend to be in other things though, ranging from small electronic devices to satellites.

Congratulations fella!

Cheers!

Cool. I see Mark E. Smith is a co-author (unless that's you) - must be a quiet time for The Fall at the moment.

I'm first author ;)

The service I have received from the Guitar Amp and Keyboard centre. I ordered one guitar from them last week, and amazingly I was authorised to use some spare funds here to get a second one (THANKS SQUEEZE first up!!). I ordered a nice looking 7 string and was looking forward to it arriving when I got an email informing me that the guitar I wanted was a new 2014 model and stock wouldn't be in until April. Now, I have waited a LOT longer than that for guitars before. My ESP was an eight month wait for it to be built in their custom shop, and that then became ten when it got bumped back in the queue because one of the big endorsees was going on tour and needed about ten new guitars for the tour. So basically, I would have been happy to wait.

However, GAK emailed me and said they had a very similar guitar in stock but unfortunately it didn't quite meet my specification as it had a Floyd Rose rather than hard-tail bridge. I loved it and said yes please, at which point I realised the alternate was £100 more. GAK gave me the guitar at the same price as my original order, and followed it by pointing out that I now had three guitars and would I like a three guitar stand to keep them all nice and safe, which would be free. Stonking stuff. AND THEN, they paid for immediate FEDEX which means my guitar will be here tomorrow, all at their cost.

Unbelievable customer service, and I will use them for everything guitar-based that I can in future.

I have it in my hands. It is fucking gorgeous. My God the neck is lightning quick. Can't wait to plug it into the Marshall, but no chance tonight. That might have to wait for Friday. Acoustically it has a bag of tone, which is a brilliant sign. Not finding the extra neck width of the seven string a problem at all. Maybe I should try an 8 string next...

(unbelievably, Schechter are bringing out a 9 string later in 2014. A chord on that thick string would sound like satan's bowel movements)

E B G D A E B F# C# I think, but don't quote me on that!

(I would probably downtune it two tones just to see if I could break the foundations here. Sunn :)))) should definitely invest in some)

Ernie Ball 9-String (.009/.012/.016/.026/.036/.046/.064/.080/.090)

That is the string thicknesses anyway

.090 is mentalist

Back