• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Semantics really. In our top 2, unless you are very misguided. The point remains the same.

As @Deutsch Wolf says, the job of the club is to win games, not be a talent factory.

And no, fans don't want to hear how good the club are at 'developing' players. We want the club to win games of football and treat us decently , both of which haven't happened this calendar year.
The job of Hobbs is just that though.
That doesn't change until Jeff goes or Fosun sell up/get that investment, so I will stick with appreciating a degree of honesty from the man put forward to the fans on transfers etc.

Can separate the different elements enough to understand his comments. Also know the policy is loaded with risk and at some point it will bite us and we will be back in the Championship.
I would say GO feels similar as he is publicly pushing for players who are proven to add on top of the talent factory purchases.
Whether he gets his way, we will see. History says nope but this window actually started with us spending money before we had received a penny, which was a huge change compared to last summer.

I'd mind less if they spent money properly and they clearly don't. There's no efficiency in the model.

Jota goes and we sign Fabio and Hoever.
Nearly all of the money for MGW goes on Guedes.
We needed the Neves sale to balance the books but we get the bonus of somehow getting back more than we paid for Collins and Nunes, who are both shite (and in themselves a horrible indictment of how we scout players). Great stuff....except we've bought little of any value with it.
We get Jonny, Fabio and Sasa off the wage bill for six months and do nothing with it.

We need 4-5 good players in three weeks, we aren't going to get them.

I'd mind less if they spent money properly and they clearly don't. There's no efficiency in the model.

Jota goes and we sign Fabio and Hoever.
Nearly all of the money for MGW goes on Guedes.
We needed the Neves sale to balance the books but we get the bonus of somehow getting back more than we paid for Collins and Nunes, who are both shite (and in themselves a horrible indictment of how we scout players). Great stuff....except we've bought little of any value with it.

We need 4-5 good players in three weeks, we aren't going to get them.
Agree it's been all over the place but we seem to have landed on the actual original Fosun* plan from last summer by default.

We all know Silva was not a scouting team idea
We all know Guedes was the top of the Mendes mountain.

Collins was an odd as the even this place was largely positive with his arrival and fans at his previous club gutted he had gone.

Not a clue who will sign in the next few weeks and their quality will vary on who you ask for an opinion. So until they actually kick a ball for us, can't call if they are good or not. A large portion of were meh at Mario for example and he has turned into a vital player for us.
Could also sign no one as well....the Jeff lottery.

*always been about finding potential and selling 1 or 2 a window for profits to reinvest. Just never done it as we had a spell where China allowed money to be invested and we could go for players like Mout, Rui etc

The job of Hobbs is just that though.
That doesn't change until Jeff goes or Fosun sell up/get that investment, so I will stick with appreciating a degree of honesty from the man put forward to the fans on transfers etc.

Can separate the different elements enough to understand his comments. Also know the policy is loaded with risk and at some point it will bite us and we will be back in the Championship.
I would say GO feels similar as he is publicly pushing for players who are proven to add on top of the talent factory purchases.
Whether he gets his way, we will see. History says nope but this window actually started with us spending money before we had received a penny, which was a huge change compared to last summer.
GoN shouldn't be anywhere near having an opinion on recruitment, this is the man who was pushing for Harrison Reed.

He should stick to coaching the same way the very best current managers do.

Neves
Coady
Giles
Sanderson
Sarkic (RIP)
Collins
Nunes
Kilman
Neto

Well over £200m of sales there, all since the end of 2022/23.

Lifted all those off the wage bill as well as Jonny, Raul, Moutinho and Adama who were on close to £300k a week between them.

So if you have a model that works, you can bank some of that money to cover previous spending and well, just to have it in the bank, and sign half a dozen players that benefit the squad.

Except we don't do the last bit. All we're doing is losing good players.

Edit: We got money for Raul too so add him to the first list as well.

Last edited:
Not sure we've spent any incoming money wisely since promotion

Except we don't do the last bit. All we're doing is losing good players.
Well no but a large part of that was the recklessness of Jeff, post Covid and the Lopetegui save our season spree (which carried into last summers budget).

Personally I have no issue with what we are doing on the transfer front if we are open about it and actually stick to it.
I don't want another panic window that then fucks up the next 2.

The other club stuff should marry up to that policy and have no argument that Jeff has done that. He hasn't, he has set everything else up as if we are doing big spending each window but in just looking at the Hobbs comments it matches my expectations in that 1 area.
The fact I am not even remotely interested in returning to Molineux is based on the other stuff

The Hobbs piece is meh, its just normal management speak claptrap, I stopped listening to that sort of shite at work 30+ years ago. Dunno why they feel the need to come out with it but can't be arsed to get angry about it.
We all know Fosun have been crap for a few years now and it's been discussed a lot.
Whether the new version of the model works out remains to be seen.

GoN shouldn't be anywhere near having an opinion on recruitment, this is the man who was pushing for Harrison Reed.

He should stick to coaching the same way the very best current managers do.
I think the majority of signings he gets a minor input.

I doubt he had much of a view on say, Lima. Got told we could get him, given an overview etc.

If he wants league ready players, it will still be a Hobbs thing but then he re-signed Doc..so maybe trust GO there...👀

I don’t doubt we are going to sign 3 or 4 players in the next few weeks. Don’t expect them to be anything more than filler though like the deals at the end of the window last year (Doyle/Bellegarde/Bueno)

I don’t doubt we are going to sign 3 or 4 players in the next few weeks. Don’t expect them to be anything more than filler though like the deals at the end of the window last year (Doyle/Bellegarde/Bueno)
A couple of them need to be better than filler, CB and right sided wide forward imo.

Ideally I'd still like to do this, I appreciate we won't sign 8 players, it's more of a list of where I think the squad has deficiencies

2 new keepers, bin Sa and Bentley
Versatile experienced full back, ideally can cover both sides, but definitely left
2 new centre halves, bin Bueno
2 Inside forwards
Centre Forward
Bin Podence, Guedes, Chiquinho, Silva and Sarabia or Hwang

They won’t be signed as filler. But that’s what they’ll end up being. If you’re not paying in the top bracket then it’s highly unlikely you are getting a top player who hits the ground running.
Missed out on Wharton last season because they didn't want to pay the money.

I don't think Hobbs is that great yet. He's in credit but not by much.

Ideally I'd still like to do this, I appreciate we won't sign 8 players, it's more of a list of where I think the squad has deficiencies

2 new keepers, bin Sa and Bentley
Versatile experienced full back, ideally can cover both sides, but definitely left
2 new centre halves, bin Bueno
2 Inside forwards
Centre Forward
Bin Podence, Guedes, Chiquinho, Silva and Sarabia or Hwang

Out:

Santi
Guedes
Chiquinho
Silva

Bentley

IN:

2x Goalkeeper
1x Centre back
1x Left midfielder/wide attacking player
1x Centre forward

That's an absolute ideal scenario for me. Realistically I don't expect either of the goalkeepers to leave and they'll both continue to be a problem for us. If our interest in Antonio is true I also don't expect the CF option to be any kind of serious player and only there for back up/experience.

I'd like to keep both Sarabia & Podence to be honest but if either of them do leave then we need someone to play right inside forward.

They won’t be signed as filler. But that’s what they’ll end up being. If you’re not paying in the top bracket then it’s highly unlikely you are getting a top player who hits the ground running.
I'm not expecting like for like replacement for Neto etc but 'expect' better than just a journeyman, chances are I'm gunna be disappointed but I'll leave kicking off till that happens.

Out:

Santi
Guedes
Chiquinho
Silva

Bentley

IN:

2x Goalkeeper
1x Centre back
1x Left midfielder/wide attacking player
1x Centre forward

That's an absolute ideal scenario for me. Realistically I don't expect either of the goalkeepers to leave and they'll both continue to be a problem for us. If our interest in Antonio is true I also don't expect the CF option to be any kind of serious player and only there for back up/experience.

I'd like to keep both Sarabia & Podence to be honest but if either of them do leave then we need someone to play right inside forward.
That's the ideal, doubt we'll fulfill all those but we'll see.
It'll be a right sided midfielder/wide attacking player won't it? We have Rodrigo for the left?

Back