• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

One of the biggest leagues in the world and it's still populated by teams who are glorified revolving doors for good players to prove themselves. Remarkable that they demonstrate no ambition to actually win anything, but happily fleece the fans with inflated prices. I actually believed Fosun had ambition to be successful! Fool me once... I preferred the honesty of the Championship than this making up the numbers and selling your best players every year treadmill. Watch as Arsenal dismantle us effortlessly and the gulf in quality is once again there for all to see.

Suppose it’s worth mentioning that when we bought Neto none of us had any idea what to expect. Turned out okay.
Apples and oranges.

We'd just finished 7th and could afford him time to develop (indeed as late as the end of October he was playing in what was a reserve team away at Villa Park in the League Cup). He started one league game before Christmas.

We've just sold our best player and won't replace him.

How often does any club sell one player and immediately replace him with a player of equal “value” at the same position, though? It doesn’t feel often, at the least.

Regardless, my point was more that solutions don’t always come from expected places.

That's the ideal, doubt we'll fulfill all those but we'll see.
It'll be a right sided midfielder/wide attacking player won't it? We have Rodrigo for the left?

Rodrigo and who else?

For me the issue is we are now looking for the replacement. I get we might have targets scouted etc, but that is different to having someone ready and integrated with the group and system. I felt like a couple of the signings this season fitted a better return to that up and coming development team, and I have no issue with selling players to other more established teams but I have an issue with doing that whilst still not having done the work on the squad it feels like we needed.

Am not into the "transfer window only closes at X" rhetoric, as the points for the games before them count for the league table regardless.

How often does any club sell one player and immediately replace him with a player of equal “value” at the same position, though? It doesn’t feel often, at the least.
You can do what we did with Neves and Moutinho and have their replacements signed before you sell/release them.

I don't know what you're suggesting, that we continually downgrade the squad every time we sell someone because that's just what happens? Well if that does happen then we get relegated eventually. We don't have *that* much headroom on that front as it is.

You can do what we did with Neves and Moutinho and have their replacements signed before you sell/release them.

I don't know what you're suggesting, that we continually downgrade the squad every time we sell someone because that's just what happens? Well if that does happen then we get relegated eventually. We don't have *that* much headroom on that front as it is.
I’m just not sure what would qualify as a “replacement”. Rodrigo looks like he’ll offer an outlet of similar style to Pedro, so maybe the replacement is already here as we’ve done before.

One of the biggest leagues in the world and it's still populated by teams who are glorified revolving doors for good players to prove themselves. Remarkable that they demonstrate no ambition to actually win anything, but happily fleece the fans with inflated prices. I actually believed Fosun had ambition to be successful! Fool me once... I preferred the honesty of the Championship than this making up the numbers and selling your best players every year treadmill. Watch as Arsenal dismantle us effortlessly and the gulf in quality is once again there for all to see.
Aren't most leagues like that now? It felt like Dortmund sold their best player to Bayern every Summer. Anyone who is reasonable in Scotland goes to Celtic or Rangers. PSG the same in France etc.The Championship isn't honest, PL parachute payments massively weight it in the favour of those teams. They were 3 of last year's top 4.

Aren't most leagues like that now? It felt like Dortmund sold their best player to Bayern every Summer. Anyone who is reasonable in Scotland goes to Celtic or Rangers. PSG the same in France etc.The Championship isn't honest, PL parachute payments massively weight it in the favour of those teams. They were 3 of last year's top 4.
And even when an outsider actually wins something, it’s almost never enough to stop the team immediately getting pounced on by the big boys.

Rodrigo and who else?
Well I would have said RAN but we've just got rid of our other LB so I guess we'd be shoehorning Bellegarde or Hwang in there, not ideal obviously.
Right side we only have Sarabia. Not sure what we're doing with Chiquinho or whether hes even adequate.

Chiq goes if we sign another right side player.

So, staying

Well I would have said RAN but we've just got rid of our other LB so I guess we'd be shoehorning Bellegarde or Hwang in there, not ideal obviously.
Right side we only have Sarabia. Not sure what we're doing with Chiquinho or whether hes even adequate.

You don't want Hwang or Bellegarde in that position. Hwang needs to be playing centrally so he spends as much time as possible in goal scoring spaces and Bellegarde's only real elite quality is that he can run at players in tight spaces, you'd be negating all of their positive attributes by playing them wide.

Rodrigo's only back up is Chiquinho at the moment and he isn't good enough.

Apples and oranges.

We'd just finished 7th and could afford him time to develop (indeed as late as the end of October he was playing in what was a reserve team away at Villa Park in the League Cup). He started one league game before Christmas.

We've just sold our best player and won't replace him.

Totally agree with all this - it’s about replacing him.

We’re not naive enough to know that the big clubs will come and take our best players - unless you’re Real Madrid, it happens to everyone.

It was Neves last year, Pedro this, probably Cunha and/or J Gomes next, and so on…..

If we’re replacing them with Bellegarde, Larsen, Doyle and similar (and not necessarily critical of them - just pointing out they’re not comparable) then we are left with not much.

We know what happens next.

As it is, currently, I fear that the current squad is pretty threadbare in the top quality cupboard.
Cunha is probably the best we’ve got and he’s made of biscuits.

Big week for Hobbsy.

You don't want Hwang or Bellegarde in that position. Hwang needs to be playing centrally so he spends as much time as possible in goal scoring spaces and Bellegarde's only real elite quality is that he can run at players in tight spaces, you'd be negating all of their positive attributes by playing them wide.

Rodrigo's only back up is Chiquinho at the moment and he isn't good enough.
Oh I agree, I'm just trying to suggest what might happen if we don't get the replacements you mentioned.

I could've written that Hobbs piece having never met Pedro and never been near Compton, it's the usual dialed in puffery.

A few issues in there that he didn't need to say that are just nonsense though. It's nowhere near 'the right time' for us. We've basically lost 50% of our creativity, and the other 50% is just cong back from injury. He talks about all the scouting and planning they do for every position, that's as may be but then why have we not had a fit for purpose centre forward for four and a half years? And as for being a deal we couldn't turn down, fuck off. The Nunes deal, the Kilman deal, fair enough - massive over payments. But £50m isn't a massive overpayment, so it's not a deal you can't turn down. You can argue decent value, and Chelsea can argue bargain. Maybe there was gentleman's agreements or what not but don't try and fucking gaslight us into thinking that we've been made this once in a lifetime offer that was impossible to turn down for the good of the club

I could've written that Hobbs piece having never met Pedro and never been near Compton, it's the usual dialed in puffery.

A few issues in there that he didn't need to say that are just nonsense though. It's nowhere near 'the right time' for us. We've basically lost 50% of our creativity, and the other 50% is just cong back from injury. He talks about all the scouting and planning they do for every position, that's as may be but then why have we not had a fit for purpose centre forward for four and a half years? And as for being a deal we couldn't turn down, fuck off. The Nunes deal, the Kilman deal, fair enough - massive over payments. But £50m isn't a massive overpayment, so it's not a deal you can't turn down. You can argue decent value, and Chelsea can argue bargain. Maybe there was gentleman's agreements or what not but don't try and fucking gaslight us into thinking that we've been made this once in a lifetime offer that was impossible to turn down for the good of the club
Tbh even Neto’s comments are pretty shallow. Once a wolf always a wolf, I'm sure our paths will cross again...yes in a fortnight. I know he didn't write that any more than I did, but it's in his name. Just do the thanks for everything, I'm off to a bigger club line, that's the reality

Back