• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

I really don't know what clubs of that size are doing showing interest in him tbh.

If we can get one of them to bite on a permanent deal that's amazing, we can't be too greedy though. The best possible outcome is to get him out of the club ASAP.

Wolfsburg were very poor last season, they're at a low ebb in comparison to how they've generally been over the last 15-20 years. Valencia have been a bin fire of a club for the best part of 20 years.

He's still nowhere near where they should be aiming and I can almost guarantee that he'd be crap for either, but hopefully they get sucked into the thinking of "if Wolves paid that much for him then he must have something about him" or they love his goal compilation of tap ins vs Liechtenstein and Faroe Islands U21s.

They're looking at him purely based on his youth reputation, fee, and that he's at a PL club.

It happens all the time. See Liverpool sales of young players for examples.

How often does any club sell one player and immediately replace him with a player of equal “value” at the same position, though? It doesn’t feel often, at the least.

Regardless, my point was more that solutions don’t always come from expected places.
To me, a good club will have a first team squad (with some players pulled from youth/reserves) of anywhere in a flux between 21-28 players, and have a Best XI with anywhere between 1-3 players in their system to step up once a first team player is sold. Then it's a case of rinse repeat and see who can step up.

We kinda did this under Nuno, and did sign youngsters like Neto and Vintinha, but got lucky imo with him only having a very small squad he used for most his tenure.

Since then the transfer policy and team strategy seems all over the place, likely because it is. A "reaching the bar" situation, or whatever you describe it as, shouldn't be where we are now which is looking like our depth is going to be tested yet again after losing 3 players (Kilman, Neto, Bueno) despite getting in 2 players early (R.Gomes, JSL).

We're not at panic stations like this time last year and there's definitely not as much fear of relegation threat. Yet the familiarity of same shit, different season with the squad remains. And after the off-field stuff this pre-season its understandable I think that people are already fatigued by it all.

"He's irreplaceable for a club like us at this moment," O'Neil said of Neto's departure.

"He's a top winger in world football and we knew it would be a challenge to keep him because of that.

"Obviously his last few seasons have been hampered by injury, but when he's fit and free-flowing there's not many like it in world football.

"I'm gutted to lose him. He was quite emotional as he's been here for a long time.

"I know he likes it here and he really enjoyed his time before I was here and with us.

"But when big clubs come calling you have a big decision to make.

"I spoke to him about the option of staying. It wasn't that he needed to go, it was up to him and we'd have loved to keep him if he wanted to stay.

"No-one can judge him for choosing to go play for Chelsea. It's one of the biggest clubs in England and we wish him very well. I loved working with him.

"You can't replace him, we're not going to go and sign another Pedro Neto, it's about using it (the money) well enough to replenish the squad in a few areas – a wide player being one."

“Next week is a big one for me to make sure the lads are ready for the Premier League and next week is a big one for us in the transfer market.

"The early business that we did was great because it showed everyone that we mean business and we are able to do stuff, Rodrigo, Pedro, Jorgen, it’s fantastic of the club to get them done so early.

“We are all really aligned with what we want to do here, and we understand there are still challenging situations which we’re trying to manage. We’ve made another £100 million this summer, we made £100m last summer, and that does provide its challenges to keep the team staying competitive and keep the team as strong as it once was four or five years ago when they were competing for Europe and there was fantastic times here.

“We’re trying to get it back to that, but with a very different make-up behind the scenes that we’re working to. But I enjoy those challenges a lot.

"Me and Matt (Hobbs) have spoken a lot about what we’re trying to do, trying to get players in who can help us with the money we’ve received, and hopefully we can help this group now, because they’re in a good spot, they’re giving everything, but the Premier League is tough.

“We’ve signed a lot of young players and hopefully we can sign a few that can help us in the here and now, as well as some more young ones. As a club, we try to sign ones who are going to add value to the football club, Rodrigo and Pedro Lima especially, they’re ones who have real talent, but also have a value.

“But we do need to do some who are ready now and have played in the Premier League and know what it’s all about because it is going to be a tough test.

"We need to make sure we get it right, we need to make sure that I get the team right, and I’m really looking forward to the season, but there is still some work to do between now and the end of August.”

SkySports reporting we're in talks with Nantes for an 18 year old CB called Bastien Meupiyou.

SkySports reporting we're in talks with Nantes for an 18 year old CB called Bastien Meupiyou.
Mendes client. Left-footed CB who is out of contract next summer. We apparently have already made two bids for him, the latest one being around 4m EUR. They want closer to 10.

Was looked at by Spurs and Man City in January just gone. Only 18 and played 1 senior game for Nantes but very highly rated.

Seriously fucks me off all this "Chelsea are a big club" business.

What's the point of being in the Prem. if this is our mentality? Sure, they have become a big club over the recent past but all this bullshit seemingly makes us subservient to them.

Pedro was hugely important to us. Seems to me he wasn't particularly bother about going if we had made more of an effort to keep him. Making a player feel wanted is massive and it's not always down to money.

I could handle Neves leaving, even Raul and Traore but this one leaves a massive void. The one player we had of creating something out of nothing. Smacks of what happened to Southampton with all their best players being cherry picked. It's happening to Brighton as well.

Of course he wanted to go. Saying the right things in the press and having a good attitude about it is purely for the fans.

It's more telling that we had an agreement with him to let him go for a suitable bid. That didn't come out of thin air. He'd been at the club for what he considered long enough and asked for that so he could take another step up, the same as Neves, Jota, Nunes, etc already have.

Of course he wanted to go. Saying the right things in the press and having a good attitude about it is purely for the fans.

It's more telling that we had an agreement with him to let him go for a suitable bid. That didn't come out of thin air. He'd been at the club for what he considered long enough and asked for that so he could take another step up, the same as Neves, Jota, Nunes, etc already have.
I'm pretty sure his agent was very keen for him to go as well.

Looks like Meupiyou is happening. I hope he's not the centre back we've been after. He's going to need the ability of Baresi to go straight into the first team at this level.

Keen says in his article that if the deal goes through he will join the first team. Can't be our only signing at CB surely, but it would leave us with 5 - unless Santi Bueno is going out and another senior one comes in? Can't see us running with 6 CB's

Keen says in his article that if the deal goes through he will join the first team. Can't be our only signing at CB surely, but it would leave us with 5 - unless Santi Bueno is going out and another senior one comes in? Can't see us running with 6 CB's

This is exactly it.

We were 1 CB short last season, Meupiyou becomes 5th choice, Mosquera 'replaces' Kilman.

If Santi goes (obviously depends on there being any interest in him which hasn't been reported and doesn't seem likely) then we'll replace his spot in the squad with a more experienced CB.

I've got high hopes for Mosquera (maybe not as much as Alan) but thinking he'll seamlessly replace Kilman immediately seems like it's incredibly risky. Especially with who to best partner with isn't established. An 18yo in the first team as CB isn't going to be a starter for a long time.

This is exactly it.

We were 1 CB short last season, Meupiyou becomes 5th choice, Mosquera 'replaces' Kilman.

If Santi goes (obviously depends on there being any interest in him which hasn't been reported and doesn't seem likely) then we'll replace his spot in the squad with a more experienced CB.
Unless Dawson is struggling and GoN thinks he can't play the high line. In which case we might see another.

I think this young lad might be the signing though. Got to hope he's more Saliba rather than Collins.

Arsenal have apparently put Kiwior up for sale, he would be a fine addition, would cover LB too.

Kiwior is an excellent player, but I would have thought his wages would be a little rich for us. Sadly it looks like Tsimikas is going to have a bigger role to play at Anfield under Slot, otherwise I would definitely be interested in trying to get him in.

Back