• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Literally everything about the way this club is run screams the fact the owners would be way more happy in the championship if it weren't for TV money.

I think reading between the lines it means they are happy to have the extra money to spend on the rest of the team.

Hobbs talking a load of shite here.

This back slapping bollocks considering how they've tested the fans this summer is particularly galling:

Matt Hobbs: "The reason we get players like Pedro is because this is our model and not everyone will love that, but we can take so much credit for the way we bring players in, the way we look after them, the love they develop for the football club, and the clubs they’re moving on to, for the fees they are. Whilst it’s disappointing for us, because everyone wants world class players, timing wise, it felt like the right time.”

What a load of nonsense, Neto was all to do with Mendes.

It's much more Keane/Lescott than Fletcher/Nunes. But he still quite obviously wanted to go.

And selling your best player less than one week before the season starts when we have no-one in the squad who is ready to replace him is not "the right time" in any sense whatsoever.

Not my problem now but I'm sure those paying some of the highest season ticket prices outside of London will be delighted to hear our Sporting Director publicly confirm that we essentially function as a talent factory for bigger clubs, with no safety net for those times when we mess up and sign a dud. Feel that raw ambition.

This back slapping bollocks considering how they've tested the fans this summer is particularly galling:

Matt Hobbs: "The reason we get players like Pedro is because this is our model and not everyone will love that, but we can take so much credit for the way we bring players in, the way we look after them, the love they develop for the football club, and the clubs they’re moving on to, for the fees they are. Whilst it’s disappointing for us, because everyone wants world class players, timing wise, it felt like the right time.”

What a load of nonsense, Neto was all to do with Mendes.
Well can't they?

If the job is to get players, improve and sell for a profit then yep, they can take credit and if no other fucker will give it them, then self back slap away.
Neto arriving was Mendes but his improvement is on the club. GoN especially got the best out of him.
Our previous sale was a kid from non league and sold for £40m.

Next up will be turning £15m Gomes into a £50m sale

To me, it seems to be fashionable right now to say fuck you at the club whatever it is.

The Sporting Director saying, yep we did our job based on what they are asked just seems a stretch but if raging over everything at the club is your thing, go nuts my friend.

I mean for a start, saying Neto didn't want to leave. Don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining, of course he did.

And in what way is it the right time?
Not sure he did want to leave, it was too good a opportunity to let slip.

Same as Neves

That's been confirmed numerous times though. Hardly a shock is it.
He shouldn't directly say it and tell the fans that we should be grateful to see them full stop. Why can't they just behave normally, it's not much to ask.

Plus there's the flim-flam of whether we will or won't use the money. I remember them telling us that moving Fabio and Sasa out early meant we were well positioned to use the spare budget to sign a striker that the manager actually wanted to use. Went well, IIRC.

They can't have it all ways. You want to charge premium prices, don't act as if you're Rotherham United.

Well can't they?

If the job is to get players, improve and sell for a profit then yep, they can take credit and if no other fucker will give it them, then self back slap away.
Neto arriving was Mendes but his improvement is on the club. GoN especially got the best out of him.
Our previous sale was a kid from non league and sold for £40m.

Next up will be turning £15m Gomes into a £50m sale

To me, it seems to be fashionable right now to say fuck you at the club whatever it is.

The Sporting Director saying, yep we did our job based on what they are asked just seems a stretch but if raging over everything at the club is your thing, go nuts my friend.
As @Deutsch Wolf says, the job of the club is to win games, not be a talent factory.

Jeff the balance sheet can fuck off and I'll be absolutely delighted when Fosun sell and we can stop this ridiculous charade of trying to be something nobody wants or needs.

And no, fans don't want to hear how good the club are at 'developing' players. We want the club to win games of football and treat us decently , both of which haven't happened this calendar year.

Mendes has far more of a hand in developing players careers then the bang average manager but very good coach we currently have. I would argue Nuno was the catalyst for Neto and GoN was just getting him back to that level after the Lage debacle.

They can't have it all ways. You want to charge premium prices, don't act as if you're Rotherham United.
Agree but Hobbs and his team are asked to work in a particular way and they are doing.
Much prefer him to be open and honest on that front.

Makes a change from the A.I bullshit we get from the Exec Chairman.

Agree but Hobbs and his team are asked to work in a particular way and they are doing.
Then he should be telling his boss that in an email not the fans who are shelling out to hear the 'be grateful you're a feeder club in the PL' bullshit.

Hobbs has done some great work but he needs to tell his PR people to fuck off or write something decent for him as he can't do it.

Makes a change from the A.I bullshit we get from the Exec Chairman.
Being a bit better than Jeff is no kind of bar. I don't mind Hobbs on the whole and he does the bidding of his paymasters, that's fine. Patronising the fanbase and saying things that patently aren't true, not fine.

Back