• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In May 2013 we lost 2-0 at Brighton to be relegated to League 1. Doherty is the only player who started that day who is still at the club (Batth was a sub, as we had a rock solid CB pairing of Johnson and Gorkss). I think the guy deserves massive credit for what he has achieved since. No, he won't be the best RWB in the Prem, but he'll be a long way from the worst RB/RWB. He's made the absolute most of his talent and I think he's to be applauded for that.

If we played him at RB then he absolutely would be the worst RB. He was consistently either the worst RB in the Championship or occasionally bumped up into second or third bottom when Rotherham or someone awful played an absolute farce of a footballer there.

Fortunately that won't happen. I think I'd actually rather see JOH back in our midfield than watch Doc as an orthodox full back on either side ever again. He was beyond awful.

He's done well over the last year (not two years, he was shite in 2016/17 and I'm not going over that fucking Player of the Year award the season before again) which is more a question of attitude than anything, plus Nuno keeping him well away from defending a lot of the time. He still can't cross for shit.

In May 2013 we lost 2-0 at Brighton to be relegated to League 1. Doherty is the only player who started that day who is still at the club (Batth was a sub, as we had a rock solid CB pairing of Johnson and Gorkss). I think the guy deserves massive credit for what he has achieved since. No, he won't be the best RWB in the Prem, but he'll be a long way from the worst RB/RWB. He's made the absolute most of his talent and I think he's to be applauded for that.

And he can score too.

Can somebody get the ban hammer out for Cyber. Appalling behaviour.

I've seen the shirt post about Traore and whilst its a lovely gesture I'd be very uncomfortable with someone giving my kids a shirt with a religious comment like that which is opposed to my own views. It would have been better to have signed their shirts and got them vouchers to get then shirts for a player who will still be playing for them surely?

Spiers saying fee is £18m and will be announced tomorrow.

That can't be the same player that's being discussed on this board - because the bloke in that video sticks it on a plate for his teammates in a number of those clips...

The pace is scary. The skill is scary. With a bit of fine-tuning (and I trust Nuno and his team) the bloke could be absolutely lethal.
Completely agree. His output can be hit and miss but he's improved that side of his game and Nuno/Cathro will improve his overall game now he has a decent attacking team to play in.

I've seen the shirt post about Traore and whilst its a lovely gesture I'd be very uncomfortable with someone giving my kids a shirt with a religious comment like that which is opposed to my own views. It would have been better to have signed their shirts and got them vouchers to get then shirts for a player who will still be playing for them surely?

Well you would just after turn him down and your kids go without wouldn't you he has his rights too and they don't have to conform with yours.

Well put Norm.

Disagreement is what discussion is. I don't see pro-Adama types being railed out of here, no matter how wrong or cheerfully optimistic they might be. What I don't like is "Nuno has done it and he knows the score so deal with it" levels of "argument", in fact that isn't an argument. If we lose 3-0 on Saturday then I'm not going to shrug my shoulders and say "well I probably wouldn't have done any better", it's total bollocks.

Traore may or may not be a massive success.

My concern with this is actually that we are spending our record sum on strengthening an area where we are already very strong, while we have one functional RWB (and how functional depends on your view about Doherty - I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now), and our centre back options are looking fairly limited. There are other much more urgent priorities for us to deal with by 5pm on Thursday. If we sort them too, then all well and good. Otherwise this signing looks like a plaster on a cut on your hand while ignoring the fact that your leg is broken.

My concern with this is actually that we are spending our record sum on strengthening an area where we are already very strong, while we have one functional RWB (and how functional depends on your view about Doherty - I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now), and our centre back options are looking fairly limited. There are other much more urgent priorities for us to deal with by 5pm on Thursday. If we sort them too, then all well and good. Otherwise this signing looks like a plaster on a cut on your hand while ignoring the fact that your leg is broken.

The two issues aren’t related. We will almost certainly try and sign players in other positions and we may fail, that we signed a player in a different position is irrelevant. It’s not as if we deploy all our resources on one signing and then move onto the next.

If we sign Traore, it is what it is on it’s own merits.

Well, well, the rumours site has Doherty to the Magpies for £7m, Danny Rose coming in and Jonny moving to the right. #ReliableSauce

£7m for doc :)

I'd love Rose, but perhaps a more reliastic target might be Like Shaw.

Come on pad, you're better than that. We're not holding back on Mina et al because we want traore first/more

Come on pad, you're better than that. We're not holding back on Mina et al because we want traore first/more

As you will see from the post quoted - I say if we sort it, then all well and good.

My point is about priorities. If they all get sorted then I will be delighted, obviously. I just think you should concentrate on the weaknesses first, but that's just me, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back