• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you end up paying more that way anyway? If we're that confident in the player why wouldn't you pay it all up front? Less risk.

Maybe we want to spend that £8m elsewhere in this window?

I thought Jonny would be the back up to Doherty with Vinagre/ Giles as the back up on the left. Unless we're suddenly signing Danny Rose in which case Jonny can go and play on the right.

If Jonny was being thought of as an instant RWB then Rubes Jnr would have played some part on Saturday I reckon.

Unless we are bringing in a WB I think we are going with Jonny on the left, Doc on the right. Vinagre and then Giles to cover the left should Jonny have to move over. Would prefer us to buy a RWB but we are not even getting a shiot rumour on one.

I'll be disappointed if we start with Doherty. He's done well but his time should be up as first choice now. (I have tried to accept him being first choice but nope it's just not happening)

It would be a little strange not to go for another RWB after we bid for Cancelo, but perhaps he was a one-off ideally suited player that became available and we haven't actually been actively looking for one.

Having Saiss next to him is a no no, huge no no but I thought he did well again on Saturday and the 1 occasion where he needed to be switched on and defend he did. Would have been so easy (and like Doc from 2 years ago) to stand by and watch the guy head home an easy goal but he tracked the runner, got ahead of him and got in a great header. He even got a hug from Patricio for that....and I don't think our #11 hugs many people

Boly and Jonny

Bennett and Doherty

One of these seems a lot stronger than the other

Boly and Jonny

Bennett and Doherty

One of these seems a lot stronger than the other

1st Half

Doc and Saiss - Villarreal played 5 balls that split that side of our defence. Scored from 1, should have scored another and good defending from balls into the box saved us

2nd Half

Doc and Bennett - Villarreal played 0 balls that split side of our defence. Difference was, Bennett's positioning was spot on and Doc tucked back in a little bit more.

Maybe we want to spend that £8m elsewhere in this window?

You'd be amortising the fee anyway so it makes no difference. Unless it's a cash flow issue but I can't imagine Fosun letting that happen.

You'd be amortising the fee anyway so it makes no difference. Unless it's a cash flow issue but I can't imagine Fosun letting that happen.

Maybe they are keeping it back to give those STH's moaning about having old cards and no faux leather wallet what they want?

Maybe they are keeping it back to give those STH's moaning about having old cards and no faux leather wallet what they want?

Or people who aren't getting streams for free?

Nah, can't be. I've just paid £10 for a replacement card...

Imagine if they put a press release out apologising that they couldnt sign one last player because Steve from Bilston had kicked up a fuss about leather wallets.

1st Half

Doc and Saiss - Villarreal played 5 balls that split that side of our defence. Scored from 1, should have scored another and good defending from balls into the box saved us

2nd Half

Doc and Bennett - Villarreal played 0 balls that split side of our defence. Difference was, Bennett's positioning was spot on and Doc tucked back in a little bit more.

Yeah Bennett did a lot better. I like Bennett.

I still think we need to improve RCB/RWB or both though.

Agree with the notion that its not just the player but the combination, Doc and Saiss is a car crash it just doesn't work and if we start like that against Everton I may have a heart attack. No problem with Nuno trying things and taking Saiss off at half time should hopefully mean we won't see it again. Bennett and Doc works and one of the things that I like about bennett is that when he knows we are in trouble he has no problem whopping out the dark arts and stopping things.

Ideally I would like to see upgrades for both RCB and RWB but personally (making an assumption that Jonny is as good or better on the right) I think we would be better with Vinny on the left and Jonny on the right with Doc on the bench should we fail to bring in our targets.

If that second £12m is based on hitting certain targets, how is that accounted for in ffp, do we know?

from Man city's accounts

Players’ registration costs including transfer fees, agent fees, Premier League levy fees and other directly attributable costs are initially recognised at the fair value of the consideration payable for the acquisition. When a player registration is acquired, management will make an assessment to estimate the likely outcome of specific performance conditions. Contingent consideration will be recognised in the players’ registration costs if management believes the performance conditions will be met in line with the contractual terms. Periodic reassessments of the contingent consideration are completed. Any contingent amounts that management believe will be payable are included in the players’ registration from the date management believe the performance conditions will be met. Any additional amounts of contingent consideration not included in the costs of players’ registrations are disclosed separately as a commitment. Amortisation of costs is on a straight line basis over the length of the player’s contract.

you'd discount a future payable in determining the cost in present day terms. and by the sound of it, if their view about meeting conditions changes, they change the "cost" from that particular date and presumably the amortisation, which neatly deals with the issue of having to go back and restate/catch up.

having said that, treatment in accounts is not necessarily the same as treatment under FFP, though I've no reason to believe they'd be any different.

it does seem slightly open to some creativity. eg) could you potentially take a view that a condition won't be met in order to avoid an extra charge under FFP, at least until you'd dealt with any FFP problem.

I see kenny is on form today. Better watch my lip...

anyhows, controversial opinion time. Traore is being signed to give costa a significant kick up the arse. Not necessarily replace, but competition, as well as different tactics. Cav regularly played an hour, or was an impact sub. We now have options, plus are not totally reliant on 3 from 4 (which we were last year). Also means we have options if there is an injury.

Agree 100% with kennys earlier post in the thread - we now have 2 players for the front 3 positions. Now a couple of those cannot guarantee being on the bench every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back