• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will play both sides. The wide of the 3 always swap over during games but against us where he gave Douglas and Boly an uneasy game he was on the right for Boro

Cant remember the 1st half (away match) but that 2nd half he was definitely all left side, i can remember Neves trying to foul him umpteen times when he cut inside.

and he flicked the ball on for Bamford to score at the end.

I thought Wolves decision making when on the counter could be improved with the addition of the right type of player so I was hopeful of a smarter type than Traore but who knows his blistering pace might be just the ticket.

His fee is £18m, regardless of what happens as that is the number we had to hit to get to speak to him (My guess it will be structured like Costa's fee - Initial payment, in this case £10m and the rest paid across the length of his contract unless we sell him and then we have to pay off what we owe). I would say the add-ons will be extras based on appearances, team performance etc that will add a possible £4m to the bill. We could avoided that by simply paying £18m in one hit. Obviously he is a hit and £22m is nothing. He is a failure, we will get back a lot of what we are paying for him, we might lose some but then the same can be said of any signing we make. Jiminez could have a decent signing and then we pay over the £30m+ already agreed for him and he has a shocker the following for example.

As I put my personal view on this is I am just glad we have a board we are prepared to find ways to back the manager and give him what he wants rather than a board that decides what he wants and gets them in for him *cough*Joe Mason*cough*. If the deal is one the club are happy to do and they ain't no schmucks and Nuno is happy then right now, I am happy.

echoed to rapturous applause

giphy.gif

I saw the clip and thought the same. But I think your point about being able to beat players centrally when we've got the overload is a variation is a key one that we can add to our play, and he will improve us in that area. That next part is crucial but we've seen it with lots of players where they join a better team with better attacking principles and the player has become a lot more effective. His managers so far have been Sherwood, Garde, Karanka, Monk and Pulis I think in English football. I'm not sure any of them had any actual attacking structures or 'strategies', so IMO this is where we will find out whether Traore can add that next part to his game like he needs to. I don't see him as a greedy player personally, so I think he will improve a lot in our team with a more organised way of attacking.

That is just attacking though. The inside forward position if very important defensively which he will have to get to grips with quickly or it will take him a while to get regular starts. I have no issue with this though I imagine some think the fee is too high for someone to play that type of role initially, which I can understand.

I wouldn't have said that tendency with him is born out of greed, whereas with someone like Neymar I'd say that's definitely the case as he just wants it to be all about him, with Traore I think it's more a case that he just doesn't really see the bigger picture of a team game, he does what he's good at and just keeps doing it until it's no longer an option to continue. I think, initially at least, he'll be very similar to what is often seen with Bright, he'll get on the ball and do some exciting things with but ultimately it won't really lead to much. Hopefully, if the signing goes through as expected, he can learn that there's more to the game than just relentlessly running at defenders and that some of the other people on the pitch are actually on the same side as him and it's not a bad thing to use them from time to time, it does seem quite surprising that someone who came through La Masia at the time of peak Tiki Taka wouldn't already be well on board with that philosophy but who knows maybe with a bit maturity he can start to see some merit in those old lessons.

The key for me is if he can improve what he does in terms of when he releases the ball, I don't think anyone doubts his dribbling ability. At times he is going so fast that in fairness to him it must be difficult to be aware of the runs around him and I certainly don't see many situations where there is an overlap, hes just too fast for people to keep up.

As an impact sub I totally get it, ultra fast and scary as fuck and it will if nothing else unsettle defenses.

He has already improved under Pulis who lets be fair has a pretty basic and rigid approach to the game. Nuno has worked wonders with others but he still hasn't got the best out of Bright for example who has similar issues in terms of decision making.

We will find out soon enough and if its a masterstroke I will enjoy every mouthful of my humble pie.

You’re right about his speed Siggy, and one of the reasons that Pulis started getting goals and assists from him was the work they did about slowing him down - they said he was still faster than everyone else at 80% speed, so slowing down allowed him to start getting his head up and seeing what was around him.

I'm unconvinced by Traore. Very much agree that he previously has decidedly poor end product on the whole. I don't see him as much of an upgrade personally.

And as for him being direct and running at players, I would have said Costa was perfectly capable of that if we wanted that sort of play. Unless I'm remembering totally wrong he would do that fairly regularly in his first season here? So I would suggest he is under instruction to play more intricate passes than he used to. Why would we bring Traore here to run at people when we'd already coached Costa out of doing so? I accept Traore might be better at it than Costa though.

The fee I don't see the uproar about (other than the fact I suspect it will all be wasted), but performance based payments seem very sensible if we are acknowledging there is a risk, which surely anyone would.

I'll support him obviously and Nuno is an excellent coach so might well improve him but I am unsure of success.

Unless it's £10m plus add ons, can't see any logic to paying over the £18m release clause.

Unless it's £10m plus add ons, can't see any logic to paying over the £18m release clause.

Go and take your agenda somewhere else, you'll never want him to do well at Wolves even if we win the World Cup. ;)

Because of how the clause is set up. To pay just £18m we would have to pay it all in one go. Instalments and Boro can make additional terms.

We don't want to throw £18m down so a staggered payment, like 99% of deals, with the possibility we may pay extra. A lot of those extras should be dependent on us and the player being a success.

Because of how the clause is set up. To pay just £18m we would have to pay it all in one go. Instalments and Boro can make additional terms.

We don't want to throw £18m down so a staggered payment, like 99% of deals, with the possibility we may pay extra. A lot of those extras should be dependent on us and the player being a success.

But you end up paying more that way anyway? If we're that confident in the player why wouldn't you pay it all up front? Less risk.

But you end up paying more that way anyway? If we're that confident in the player why wouldn't you pay it all up front? Less risk.
Ain't got a clue but it makes sense to Jeff. Maybe an FFP issue as it keeps a chunk, £8m, to persuade Smalling to join....

Fosun would struggle to get 22% return on £18m. Why not lend Wolves £18m for 22% return rather than giving it to Boro. Makes no sense.

If that second £12m is based on hitting certain targets, how is that accounted for in ffp, do we know?

If that second £12m is based on hitting certain targets, how is that accounted for in ffp, do we know?

I'd imagine it would be invoiced when the targets were hit, which would make sense to do it if it's £10m plus add ons.

Can we start getting worried about RWB yet?

I'm not an accountant but I would think it would be done under transfer fee accruals over the time frame. You could then write off any payments you don't make.

Can we start getting worried about RWB yet?

I thought Jonny would be the back up to Doherty with Vinagre/ Giles as the back up on the left. Unless we're suddenly signing Danny Rose in which case Jonny can go and play on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back