• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your way, if he is $#@! we lose all £18m.

If he succeeds and plays well we pay an extra £4m. That's a small premium for success in today's market. Plus his value will increase and easily cover that cost any way.
Where does it say that the instalments are success based rather than guaranteed? I read it that rather paying £18m up front we've agreed to pay 10 with a balance to follow. The final value is unknown, but it could be a very similar deal to the one Nixon said yesterday.

Another vote for the pro-Traore camp here. Watching the game at Middlesbrough live you could almost feel the panic in the Wolves defence when Traore ran at them. As someone else has said, he's not just quick, he is lightining quick and the more I watch football the more important I think real pace is. If Nuno thinks he can coach him and Ruben Neves says he was the best player he played agaisnt last season, that'll do for me. Just hope that if does sign we judge him on performances, not pre-conceived ideas

I am also with the minority in feeling positive about this transfer. He has undoubted pace and skill (albeit raw) that differentiates him from what we have. There were a few games last year (including the only one I got to see us play in person - Forest at Home) where we needed something different to the trusted talents and we didn't have it available. I think we will face this situation more often in the PL so having another dynamic option could be vital. Yes, it's potentially an expensive plan B but I'm also not seeing many cheaper alternatives.
Using the one game where Nuno tactically lost the plot and spent 45 minutes thinking he was Steve Bruce is a strange example to use 'for in Nuno we trust'.

Anyway, I've listed earlier all the reasons why I think it's a poor, overpriced and unnecessary transfer. It looks like it's happening so time to get behind it and hope it works out.

Using the one game where Nuno tactically lost the plot and spent 45 minutes thinking he was Steve Bruce is a strange example to use 'for in Nuno we trust'.

Anyway, I've listed earlier all the reasons why I think it's a poor, overpriced and unnecessary transfer. It looks like it's happening so time to get behind it and hope it works out.

Just to be clear, it was not the only game I saw.

Any transfer is a gamble. This guy could beckon a top player. We might end up struggling to get our money back but, for what it's worth I think he will do well.
As for the deal it's clearly structured like it is for FFP purpkses. As the add ons only become due when the relevant milestone is reached they have freed up more money for immediate use.

Help a simpleton out here, didn't Traore have a good half season?, I don't seem to remember him in the 1st part .
Also, as already asked,he ripped us a new one (albeit with dreadful final balls) down the left...but he's being bought for the right side?
I really hope he doesn't become a Bright MK2, I don't think I will be able to stand the moaning when he loses the ball.

Let’s not forget that Costa and Cavaleiro arrived with not dissimilar reputations. Fancy dan / pace merchants with no end product. I dare say on those reputations alone, some people might also have had concerns (had we been in a position of strength like now).

I 100% can see AT’s limitations, but I actually think it will be pretty hard to lose money on him. If he’s crap, whoever next season’s big spending Championship sides are could easily be tempted into paying £10m+, based on his Championship effectiveness. See B.Afobe.

People aren't understanding what the £10m upfront means in this instance

Well yes, I get that he wants it, but I am sorry paying a load more if it works out isn't bright. If it doesn't work out, burned money, if it does spent more than was needed. Its crap business.

And this is why I said people have already made their minds up - even if he does well people won't get on board.

Let’s not forget that Costa and Cavaleiro arrived with not dissimilar reputations. Fancy dan / pace merchants with no end product. I dare say on those reputations alone, some people might also have had concerns (had we been in a position of strength like now).

Cav took a lot of stick in his first year (incredibly). Called lazy, ineffectual, never worth £7m. People couldn't have been further from the truth despite watching him most weeks with their very own eyes. He's a very different player to Traore, but I think Adama will prove a lot of people wrong. He's going to be a very good member of the squad IMO

he's being bought for the right side?

He will play both sides. The wide of the 3 always swap over during games but against us where he gave Douglas and Boly an uneasy game he was on the right for Boro

This signing basically gives 2 players per position in the front 3

Costa/Cav Jiminez/Bonatini Jota/Traore

In my opinion this will actually push Bonatini to the back of the queue and we see games where our front 3 will have Jota in the middle and then either Costa, Cav or Traore joining him. Whatever the opinion on him and in true internet style, to get a point across going OTT is the only way, I just like the fact that Nuno wants this player and the club have done whatever they can to support the manager. Our spend in filling the front 3 with enough options will be £28m (£18m Traore, £5m Leo & £5m Jiminez...I wonder if we swapped Jiminez and Traore costs around the reaction would be different?)

Dan mentions being linked to Hugill and how we would react differently and no longer be "in Nuno we trust"...ignoring the fact he is shit, if we are linked to that sort of player again it means the club no longer trust in Nuno and are back with Thelwell leading our business...

Agree with all of that Kenny

And this is why I said people have already made their minds up - even if he does well people won't get on board.

I hate this kind of fucking horseshit. People are fucking idiots if they think fans do not want every player to be a success in a Wolves shirt.

All I said was that if he was shit we are burning a load of money, and if he is great we are guaranteeing burning a load more money than in the up front deal. How this is win-win is a complete mystery to me.

If he is great does spending £4m more matter? If the club are where Fosun want us to be by the time he can be classed as a success and that £4m or whatever is required, then fucking happy days, Boro get to have a few of European Football ££££.
If he is poor, he will be gone loooooong before any extras are needed and you can pretty much guarantee that we will get back pretty much all we gave to Boro when he gets sold back to the Championship to a newly relegated team with money to burn to get back up.

Im with DW on this one, its fine to admire the attributes of a player but to sign someone purely for those attributes is a risk IMO. Yes Traore is very fast and has great dribbling skills but he literally just runs anywhere he can and quite often there is little to no end product. Its fine to say he will run into pockets of space but will they be the right pockets of space, when Jota has made an intelligent run will he pass him the ball or just continue running head down to beat another 5 players??

The general view from all fans from what I can see is that he has all the attributes but has no footballing brain this could be a problem for us.

This isn't not to trust Nuno, I do. But he is going to drop a clanger at some point (no-one is that consistent) I just hope it isn't this one for 18 million quid.

I hate this kind of fucking horseshit. People are fucking idiots if they think fans do not want every player to be a success in a Wolves shirt.

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed (again)? Calm down. I've never said he doesn't want him to do well, why are you such an angry man on here these days?

He literally just said how either way it's not a good deal, regardless if he does well? Hence why I think some have made their minds up, regardless of how he does.

All I said was that if he was shit we are burning a load of money, and if he is great we are guaranteeing burning a load more money than in the up front deal. How this is win-win is a complete mystery to me.

Who said it was win-win?

As PQ suggested to before really, it is somewhere in the middle. I have never said I think he is amazing, but I can totally see the merits of signing him and think he will be a good part of what is a very good squad we have. Equally, I understand people's reticency towards it but think some of the negativity has been over the top.

If he is great does spending £4m more matter? If the club are where Fosun want us to be by the time he can be classed as a success and that £4m or whatever is required, then fucking happy days, Boro get to have a few of European Football ££££.
If he is poor, he will be gone loooooong before any extras are needed and you can pretty much guarantee that we will get back pretty much all we gave to Boro when he gets sold back to the Championship to a newly relegated team with money to burn to get back up.

this.

This debate is this forum's "Mancienne is gash" moment (for those of you that go that far back). Bring on 5pm Thursday already

:icon_lol:

To be fair I initially thought Mancienne was quite good but was quickly proven wrong. 14 year old me always saw (or managed to find) the good in players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back