• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be gutted to see Barry Douglas go. Seems like a class character and a very popular member of the squad. His assists and goals last season cannot and should not be dismissed like they’ll just be replaced with the click of a finger. Even Ruben Neves can’t deliver a corner with as much whip and accuracy as Barry Douglas.

I appreciate we’ve made £4m on him in a year, and I understand the ruthless approach - but I hope this one doesn’t come back and bite us in the arse.

What I will say is, if the plan was to always replace Douglas with Jonny, if we’ve received a bid we’re happy with for a player who’s not in our starting 11 - you take it. Particularly when you have a player with as much potential as Vinagre ready to step in.

Will be sad to see Barry go but wish him all the very best at Leeds if that’s where he ends up. Cracking signing for them, although I’m surprised we’re doing any kind of business with them at all after last season!

It seems that a section of our fan base cannot grasp the concept that players have natural ceilings. No matter how nice they are, or how good they were below that ceiling, sentiment isn't going to make them burst through it. Keep a player when the team is above that ceiling and you are damaging the team. It's just logic.

I would have thought that our fans should be au fait with the issue after the last two seasons with Mick, but memories are selective at times for some of our supporters.

Barry was great for us, and played a significant role in a great season. I wish him well and if he returns with another team I will give him a nice cheer, but that's as far as it goes.

And in wholly unsurprising news, Dan O'Hagan isn't happy about Douglas being 'discarded'.

Just need Charles Ross to pipe up for the full house.

I'm very interested to see where Douglas plays if Bielsa plays his 3-3-1-3 formation :icon_lol:

I think that's right, we shouldn't be hanging on to players because of what they've done for us in the past, we should be hanging on to them for what they can do in the future... Douglas was great last season but I'm far from convinced he can do a good job in the PL, and neither is Nuno seemingly. We definitely had that sentimentality towards players under McCarthy, we kept playing them even though they were patently inadequate, yet even a vast number of fans couldn't accept it.

Ah, so whenever we buy anyone, sell anyone, play a match...

No, because when we play we tend to win, when we sign someone they tend to be good. So a ticketing mishap, selling a 'well liked' player, having a betting company as a sponsor (yeah, I know - I moan about that too..) etc normally coaxes him out of hibernation.

I don't mind when the club is criticised - despite the huge, positive changes we're never going to be perfect - but I do get frustrated with the refusal to give credit when it's due alongside criticism. And even an idiot would have to accept that we're doing a fuckload more right than wrong these days.

Love Baz, but that's superb business. He'll be a cracking addition for Leeds and no Wolves fan will wish him anything but the best moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back