• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could well be. 3 goals in the league, 1 in the Champions League. I've no idea what sort of defender he is though.

Coentrao is the Portuguese Podolski, one good World Cup and traded off that for the rest of his career.
Sporting fans love him, he's been a top signing for them. I can forgive not quite being as good as Marcelo.

Surely Coentrao would thrive as a wingback?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Anyone been following whats going on at Sporting CP recently? Seems like an absolute shit show. We could definitely take advantage of that in the summer with a few bids for the likes of William Carvalho, Fabio Coentrão, Rui Patrício or Gelson Martins.

Joel messaged about it. Apparently the president called all the players lazy after the CL game and then the players refused to train.

Sporting fans love him, he's been a top signing for them. I can forgive not quite being as good as Marcelo.

He's class, I watched him closely when I saw Sporting in the CL. I was well impressed, he's a classy defender, doesn't just head it and kick it, can make runs and has a lovely pass in him.

Do you reckon we could get someone like Stefan De Vrij (CB)? His contract at Lazio is up in the summer so that could mean he'd get huge wages somewhere. No harm in asking though.

I love De Vrij, think he's great! Would be amazing having him here. However, when there was all of the talk of him not signing a new contract, he was linked with the likes of Arsenal and Man U. I would assume he would end up at a team playing in Europe, but who knows, if Alderweireld does leave Spurs in the summer there could be a bit of a CB merry-go-round.

Anyone been following whats going on at Sporting CP recently? Seems like an absolute $#@! show. We could definitely take advantage of that in the summer with a few bids for the likes of William Carvalho, Fabio Coentrão, Rui Patrício or Gelson Martins.

Basically, the club's president lost his marbles as Sporting lost against Atlético for the CL. Made a huge press release on facebook, as is his usual practice, slanting individual players for failing sitters or making mistakes while defending. Mind, he didn't target the team in general, he mentioned the players by name. Considering this is not the first time he has done stuff like this, the players made a statement on their Instagram and facebook pages dissing the president for his remarks.

Bruno then replied, with another public statement, suspending every player who had posted the statement and dissing them some more. Some news reported that the players refused to train, however this has been officially denied by Sporting.

All was resolved yesterday, the players weren't suspended from training or playing, their league match is scheduled to start in a few minutes now.

A couple hours ago, the president issued another statement saying there are whistleblowers amongst the squad who are feeding lies to the press and the other team players, due to some newspapers reporting that a few players received threats to their phones social media by ultras.

This will probably result in most players wanting to leave in the summer, so should prove to be a good hunting ground for promising newcomers to the pack.

I'd take Joe Allen from Stoke even if he does look like Joe Wilkinson

Was at the Albion Swansea game yesterday and based on that I would hardly want any of their players. Turgid rubbish and both were happy to play for a point. Swansea played a back three with wing backs but we look so much better playing it than them. Their midfield which I think was a three of Carroll-Clucas-King was very narrow and non-existent most of the time, Albion cut right through it time and again. Always looking to take the ball sideways to a fellow midfielder who subsequently lost possession or backwards to Mawson who was the only one bringing it forward. They paid more for Clucas than we did for Neves. Unbelieveable. Ayew played in a bit of a free role and Abraham up front - no wingers until Dyer came on and they never looked to get it wide from midfield except when Olsson tried to make runs but was generally ignored. The way they use the system compared to us is terrible. They have one CB marking one striker, another marking the other striker, and then Fernandez as their Coady to mop it up when the others mess up but doesn't seem to understand his role too well and runs around like a headless chicken when it comes to marking. No wingers negates the advantage of the system, truly rubbish.

Abraham scored from the corner but was abysmal, no attacking outlet whatsoever. Made poor runs, didn't do well in the air, and could not link play. Would not want. Fabianski was pretty good, like him but not what we're looking for. Olsson was okay but is no significant improvement on Douglas. Apart from the 'keeper the only Swansea player who actually impressed me was van der Hoorn who I haven't rated before now - was probably their MOTM and he only played the first 45 before getting injured! On the Albion side Rondon was decent, linked up the play well. Would be an improvement on our current centre-forwards particularly in this style even if his shooting isn't the best.

So only improvement from those two I can really see is Rondon. Not a fan of Gibbs. Am expecting Southampton and Stoke to gone down now so from them I'd love Soares from Soton, he would be brill for our system. I agree Romeu would be a good upgrade on Saiss. Forster is rubbish nowadays, fans don't rate him much and I would prefer Ruddy. Butland would be great but will he have suitors higher up? Allen would be a good midfield partner for Neves. No to Shaqiri who is too inconsistent and has a bad attitude.

I’d love Mawson, he’s serious quality.

Think he’s destined for bigger than us for now though.

Hernandez would be wasted here. We don't use that sort of player.

Tentative links to Thomas Partey of Atletico. Would think he'll be going elsewhere (if at all) but I suppose you never know. Certainly a step up on N'Diaye and Saiss (much as I love them both).

Is Partey the guy that Simeone throws on as sub in a different position pretty much every week? Can't say as I've seen a lot of him but at the same time he's never stood out as anyone of any particular value for anything.

Is Partey the guy that Simeone throws on as sub in a different position pretty much every week? Can't say as I've seen a lot of him but at the same time he's never stood out as anyone of any particular value for anything.

Played well in the Madrid Derby on Sunday. He's more of a ball winner than passer though.

Rondon mooted in the last few days by a few...the normally reliable John Percy says his release clause is £16.5m.

Nah, you're alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back