• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CB, RWB, CM, ST. Then maybe another CM and a LWB if Vinagre is going out on loan.

I think a right sided centre back is a must as well as a right wing back. Would like to see another CM of high quality but that's about it for me.

A centre forward would be good but we don't know how Jimenez will fair yet so shouldn't rule him out.

No point in adding filler I think the 3 or 4 we add should be better than what we have right now.

CM, RWB, CB and striker in that order. The first three are a must for me. We can't be going into the season with Doherty as some RWB again and only Neves and Saiss for centre midfield. I'm sure we will get those 3 positions sorted

Started the Summer wanting a RWB, LWB, CM, R or L CH, CF, with a keeper as a nice to have. So still 4 places to fill for my ideal world with CM and RWB absolute musts.

Two wing backs with excellent delivery and decision making plus a really high quality smart striker.

Having watched a lot of the World Cup, I think Vida would be a top drawer signing for us and I hope we have/had something in place before the tournament properly got going for him. Dodgy haircut aside, he's a proper CB - mean, harsh in the tackle, reasonably good on the ball, good in the air. Little bit on the slow side but you can't have it all. I was very impressed with him at the WC and I think he'd work really well in a three man defence and would give us some added steel at the back. Hause is ready to come in at any time and has been featured heavily on our social media pages throughout pre-season so I think him and MGW will be 'promoted/pushed on' in their development and roles within the squad this season.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that we need to bring in another CM. We're going in to the season with Neves & Saiss - and MGW (who lets not forget we're unsure will work in a midfield two) as our options. We need some more numbers/quality there without a shadow of a doubt.

Wing back is an area of concern. I can deal with Douglas/Vinagre on the one side but we still have zero cover/competition for Doherty - German Phil will likely never play for us, plus he's injured again isn't he? We simply have to sign another RWB.

I'm the same as Johnny on the FW. It would be nice if someone absolutely top drawer came available, but we've got Raul (who deserves a chance), Jota/Cav/Costa rotating as a fluid front three, Bonatini and even Rafa Mir has found his shooting boots this pre-season, even if it's early doors. So I can see the sense in holding out in that position unless we're offered something too good to turn down.

I really don’t want to see the words “cover/competition for Doherty” ever again. He needs to be the cover for a much, much better replacement.

In terms of numbers and cover, CM and RWB are an absolute must.

After that a better CB would be ideal.

I really don’t want to see the words “cover/competition for Doherty” ever again. He needs to be the cover for a much, much better replacement.

Well, yeah. When I say "competition", I mean "replacement" - but Doherty is absolutely fine as a back up player in that position. He's no where near as bad as people make out, but that's another argument.

He's an ok wingback to a point, providing you're playing very much on the front foot and he doesn't have to do much defending. And you don't count on having tons of actual output down that side.

He always has been and always will be an abysmal full back, he definitely is that bad there. Fortunately we shouldn't be seeing any more of him in that position in a Wolves shirt.

The criticism on this forum for Doherty is ridiculous.

Maybe if he hadn't spent years being a fat slob with an attitude only a single notch better than Greg Halford's and defensive ability only a single notch better than Mo Camara's, people would be more conciliatory towards him.

He did alright last season. There is absolutely no way he is a Premier League player though.

I would never have been saying this this time last year but I am happy for him to be a member of the squad for this season coming up. He looks even trimmer this pre-season, he's obviously a popular member of the squad and I think ability wise he is fine as a squad member in a Premier League side. We will quickly move on (hopefully anyway) from him much like many other players if we are as ambitious as we appear but if Nuno rates him I can handle that for now.

Anyone we sign in that position (and you'd like to think we will) we would obviously be looking for a better standard of player. I wonder if we are still interested in Sarr.

Is it? As Deutsch has already said he’s an abysmal full back, he’s proved that over and over again, and while I’ve admitted he improved a great deal last season due to his position change his output was pretty shit given the amount of time and space he had and the service to him being pinpoint. He’s nowhere near Premier League standard, that’s my opinion no matter how ridiculous you find it.

I would never have been saying this this time last year but I am happy for him to be a member of the squad for this season coming up. He looks even trimmer this pre-season, he's obviously a popular member of the squad and I think ability wise he is fine as a squad member in a Premier League side. We will quickly move on (hopefully anyway) from him much like many other players if we are as ambitious as we appear but if Nuno rates him I can handle that for now.

Anyone we sign in that position (and you'd like to think we will) we would obviously be looking for a better standard of player. I wonder if we are still interested in Sarr.
Absolutely agree. I guess some people find things difficult to let go.

Maybe if he hadn't spent years being a fat slob with an attitude only a single notch better than Greg Halford's and defensive ability only a single notch better than Mo Camara's, people would be more conciliatory towards him.

He did alright last season. There is absolutely no way he is a Premier League player though.

"He did alright"

That is simply bollocks.

Also to keep refering to what he did in other seasons is farcical too, Coady was shit before last season, it's not relevant now.

I'm of no doubt that we can do better, but Doherty had an excellent season last season, and with Douglas seemingly less attacking as the season went on (either by design or his own limitations) Doherty became crucial to the way we played. He deserves far, far more credit than he receives on here, it seems popular to slate him for some reason.

Whether you consider the criticism hyperbolic or not is actually neither here nor there with regard to the initial comment.

We have gone up a division. Whatever position we recruit in, getting cover in is not what we need. Any signing must be better than what we have. We have to improve on last season's squad, not fatten it out.

Is it? As Deutsch has already said he’s an abysmal full back, he’s proved that over and over again, and while I’ve admitted he improved a great deal last season due to his position change his output was pretty shit given the amount of time and space he had and the service to him being pinpoint. He’s nowhere near Premier League standard, that’s my opinion no matter how ridiculous you find it.

He isn't a full back though is he, he's a wing back, as much as Coady won't be playing CM next season, it's not relevant anymore.

If Doherty had come in as a fresh signing at the start of last season and performed the way he did, there is no way he would receive the criticism he does, it's all ingrained from years of slating him.

Just try and be more balanced folks.

"He did alright"

That is simply bollocks.

He didn't produce as much in attacking areas as he should have done (he still can't cross a ball for one thing) and there were still quite a few games where he was very poor (Barnsley and Forest at home, Villa, Sheff Utd and Fulham away, there's five straight off). But he also had some good games. He improved in some key areas, ie fitness and learning how you actually cover the back post. He had a decent season. 7/10. Not "excellent", that to me is "bollocks".

His touch, output and defending are not good enough for the Premier League IMO. Our wingbacks are going to spend a lot more time in their own half this season and we know that is not his forté. He even admits it himself.

I don't even want to talk about him, I just don't get why he's being white knighted out of nowhere on a Monday morning. He's played nearly 200 games for us and conservatively I'll have seen 130+ of them so I'll reserve my right to have an opinion on him, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back