• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time we were promoted to the Premier League we made the mistake of having most of our signings as "back up or competition for" players we already had with the odd signing of a better player.
This time we seem to be doing it correctly, replacing players at the top and moving on players at the bottom.
I agree with Alan when he said earlier that an upgrade on Saiss may be difficult to bring in at the moment and he should be given his chance this season. However we have ONE, first team RWB and we need to sign another as I don't know where German Phil is and Oscar Buur isn't ready. SO...Do we sign an "understudy" for the wing back we have or upgrade and move him down a level to the back up role? Even the most ardent Doc fan must acknowledge that it is a weak spot in the squad and we must improve the standard of player there.

RWB improvement is top of my list, RCB is 2nd on my list and if we can get an upgrade on Saiss and another QUALITY forward then we should but I really would like MGW to be given the chance to prove what he can do. If you are good enough, you're old enough

RWB is an issue because we have no replacement if Doherty got injured and as we need to sign a RWB then it makes sense that we would be looking at someone who is potentially better than Doherty.

I haven’t said they didn’t count. They are a big part of the game but the stick that is being used to beat Doherty with is a biased one. Just bringing balance to the argument.

I haven't beaten Doherty at all bar saying he needs upgrading and isn't good enough for the Premier League, never mentioned Douglas at all (who I'd also like to see upgraded). No bias at all other than personally I don't think he's good enough. If that's the case then all I've seen are biased views saying that he IS good enough with absolutely no evidence to back it up other than the previous three seasons don't count. Nor do set pieces. Or something like that.

Exactly.

Also, this talk of Doherty not being able to cross is a red herring (firstly because i don't think that's true) and secondly because we very, very rarely actually crossed the ball into the box at all last season (relatively speaking).

Doherty's touch is fine, he was bringing down 40-50 yard passes from Neves 4 or 5 times a game, every game and without being blessed with pace (somehow) seemed to wriggle his way around opposing defenders.
I would expect being able to control a Ruben Neves pass to be a basic requirement of a professional footballer at any level. It's not like he ever gives you much work to do, I don't think Doherty had to check his stride once all season.

I haven’t said they didn’t count. They are a big part of the game but the stick that is being used to beat Doherty with is a biased one. Just bringing balance to the argument.

But Barry gets a free pass because he was a new signing, takes a decent corner and scored a few banging set pieces.

Yep, real balanced....

I presume you have the stats to back all of this up?

Or is it just your opinion that you are putting forward as fact?

If you watched Wolves last season and thought we were a side that banged in cross after cross then your opinion is clearly not worth considering.

I will try and find some stats though, just for your benefit.

RWB is an issue because we have no replacement if Doherty got injured and as we need to sign a RWB then it makes sense that we would be looking at someone who is potentially better than Doherty.

How dare you, Matt Cafu is the best RWB to have ever played the game and any insinuation he isn't good enough is treasonous.

I would expect being able to control a Ruben Neves pass to be a basic requirement of a professional footballer at any level. It's not like he ever gives you much work to do, I don't think Doherty had to check his stride once all season.

Jesus wept, Neves' passing so good now that it makes everyone's first touch easier, over that distance it's all about the receiver's touch.

Jesus wept, Neves' passing so good now that it makes everyone's first touch easier, over that distance it's all about the receiver's touch.

Of course the quality of the pass makes a difference. Pinging 40 yard passes to feet and with the right pace is a bit different than bringing down something around your throat at 80mph.

Correct.

"He has a bad touch"

"He was passed to over long distances every game"

"That's because the passes were so good"

Genuinely laughing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I haven't beaten Doherty at all bar saying he needs upgrading and isn't good enough for the Premier League, never mentioned Douglas at all (who I'd also like to see upgraded). No bias at all other than personally I don't think he's good enough. If that's the case then all I've seen are biased views saying that he IS good enough with absolutely no evidence to back it up other than the previous three seasons don't count. Nor do set pieces. Or something like that.

I haven’t picked out anyone’s individual view point, and I’m not disagreeing with the view or saying Doc is the best thing since sliced bread. What I am saying is that Doc isn’t as bad as made out and is better at defending and attacking in open play than Douglas. Baz’s set pieces are an asset, however we can’t carry him in the PL for this and I’d also like him replaced. Especially when we have other players in the squad just as capable taking corners and Neves is probably better from direct FKs.

Fuck me, Juventus have a lot to answer for here. Stealing our number 1 target for RWB, the European giant wankers that they are and causing people to go over the top in their descriptions of our current 1st choice.

Come on Jeff, get target number 2 in quickly please

Doherty isn't shit

We are threadbare at his position.

There is no point in buying cover. EVERY transfer we make this summer should be an upgrade.

That's the point.

Fuck me, Juventus have a lot to answer for here. Stealing our number 1 target for RWB, the European giant wankers that they are and causing people to go over the top in their descriptions of our current 1st choice.

Come on Jeff, get target number 2 in quickly please

Just gone for the defensive upgrade. Might not get as many goals though.

350B0489.jpg

Average crosses per game:

Wolves - 16
Fulham - 16
Cardiff - 18
Villa - 23
Boro - 20
Derby - 16
Bristol City - 18
Leeds - 16
Norwich - 16
Brentford - 20
Forest - 17

Pretty much on a par with most of the top half for crosses per game.

Hi I'm Matt, I'm a premier league footballer you lot either work in a call centre or a warehouse... xx
aba566e8c4ef436545abdcac064cc61e.jpg

Of course the quality of the pass makes a difference. Pinging 40 yard passes to feet and with the right pace is a bit different than bringing down something around your throat at 80mph.

Sometimes on wet and windy days the diagonal ball forward of the wingback for him to take and continue at speed is a difficult test of that players technical and athletic ability.

Doherty isn't shit

There is no point in buying cover. EVERY transfer we make this summer should be an upgrade.

That's the point.

and Wolves agree with this - Hence the Cancelo bid so a lot of talking over nothing here really. Monday mornings are the best

Doherty isn't shit

That's the point.

At least somebody gets it.

No it isn't. Doherty controlled most of Neves' long balls (no knocking Doherty there, see?) but then let himself get closed down and did fuck all with it. His touch is irrelevant if he doesn't do anything with the space he had when he got the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back