• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doherty isn't shit

We are threadbare at his position.

There is no point in buying cover. EVERY transfer we make this summer should be an upgrade.

That's the point.

And has always been the point. Not sure why we needed a load of "Waaaah, stop being unfair to Matt" in the first place.

Sometimes on wet and windy days the diagonal ball forward of the wingback for him to take and continue at speed is a difficult test of that players technical and athletic ability.

Indeed, but my point still stands. Round the throat or to feet?

Average crosses per game:

Wolves - 16
Fulham - 16
Cardiff - 18
Villa - 23
Boro - 20
Derby - 16
Bristol City - 18
Leeds - 16
Norwich - 16
Brentford - 20
Forest - 17

Pretty much on a par with most of the top half for crosses per game.
Source?

So thanks for that, it's the joint lowest of any team!

This is Wolves, a team that dominated posession in the majority of games they played, so therefore would cross more if that was Wolves game plan.

Crossing from open play was definitely not a characteristic of Wolves play. You only have to look at our striker and the lack of goals scored by his head to realise that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Source?

This is Wolves, a team that dominated posession in the majority of games they played, so therefore would cross more if that was Wolves game plan.

Crossing from open play was definitely not a characteristic of Wolves play. You only have to look at our striker and the lack of goals scored by his head to realise that.

Just because we don't float the ball aimlessly into the box doesn't mean we don't cross the ball.

The main aim of our attacking play is to create overloads against the opposing full back. We cross the ball a lot, just drilled crosses or cut backs.

Source?

WhoScored. No idea how reliable they are but thought I'd pull the info together to save you the trouble.

If you removed Bruce's and Pulis' antiquated tactics from that lot then we're around average with everybody else with Brentford being the outlier. So nobody really banged in cross after cross.

I didn't realise crosses had to land on somebody's head either, you can put low crosses in.

Either way, the quote below is just plain wrong.

If you watched Wolves last season and thought we were a side that banged in cross after cross then your opinion is clearly not worth considering.

Just because we don't float the ball aimlessly into the box doesn't mean we don't cross the ball.

The main aim of our attacking play is to create overloads against the opposing full back. We cross the ball a lot, just drilled crosses or cut backs.
Yep, lots of cut backs, I wonder if they are classed as a cross in this instance. They shouldn't be.

Doherty dropping his head (literally looks down at the floor all the time) and not chasing back at times annoyed me last season. He just doesn't look interested. Can't see how he won't get ragged by some Prem wingers (Not much different to Douglas in that sense). Just my opinion, won't mean much here but we can all have one.

Doc did plenty of chasing back last season simply because Nuno proper got at him if he didn't. He actually improved on his defending at the far post as well(not that hard to do when the starting point is so dreadful)

The first few pre-season games that were shown online, every time Doc did what he had done in previous seasons Nuno went nuts at him. He soon learnt that if he wanted to stay, he needed to work.

Disclaimer: This is not me calling Doc the greatest EVER I still want us to sign a RWB and have Doc as the back up option.

Either way, the quote below is just plain wrong.

EP said:
"If you watched Wolves last season and thought we were a side that banged in cross after cross then your opinion is clearly not worth considering.

So you think Wolves were/are a side that banged in cross after cross then?

Of course the quality of the pass makes a difference. Pinging 40 yard passes to feet and with the right pace is a bit different than bringing down something around your throat at 80mph.

Over that distance you're not going to be able to just gently place something onto a team mates foot though are you? It's going to have to have considerable weight on the pass to cover the distance without getting cut out so the receiver will have to have a decent touch to kill the ball, it's not like we're talking about little 15-20 yard passes where Doherty is some Berbatov like God taking things into his stride when some moron is smashing at him but a long crossfield pass is always going to need a bit of work to get it under control.

So you think Wolves were/are a side that banged in cross after cross then?

I'll go with the stats and say we averaged roughly the same as everybody else bar a couple. Roughly 3% of our passing total. That wasn't the part I was referring to though, I was referring to the part that I'd bolded where you dismissed someone else's opinion as not worth bothering with. Ridiculous statement, as was the one below.

The criticism on this forum for Doherty is ridiculous.

Yeah, awful ain't it.

He did alright last season.

I would never have been saying this this time last year but I am happy for him to be a member of the squad for this season coming up.

I’ve admitted he improved a great deal last season

All I wanted was an upgrade, naughty me.

I'll go with the stats and say we averaged roughly the same as everybody else bar a couple. Roughly 3% of our passing total. That wasn't the part I was referring to though, I was referring to the part that I'd bolded where you dismissed someone else's opinion as not worth bothering with. Ridiculous statement, as was the one below.

Yeah, awful ain't it.

All I wanted was an upgrade, naughty me.

I want an upgrade too!

The talk of him being poor at crossing and having a poor touch amongst other things is what got my goat.

Also, how do Wolves crossing stats compare to the rest of the league, why just cherry pick the top? A lot of our crosses were from set pieces, and as a team that dominated we would naturally have more corners and free kicks than many other teams, despite that we are still the lowest anyway, so my point remains, we were one of the lowest (if not THE lowest) crossing teams in the Champ.

42% of Wolves play came down the right, a much higher % than the centre and left, if Doherty was just "alright" we wouldn't have won the league with him playing a key role in a formation that relies on it's wingbacks.

He is poor at crossing, watch how many times he Eastwoods it into the shins of the LB.

His distribution is shit I agree. However I love his drags through the defenders legs. Fucking legendary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back