• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the West Ham fans pretty much all liked him there.

They detested most of their team, their board, their fans and pretty much their whole club last season.

My impression was that he was average for the first half of the season but good the second half

They detested most of their team, their board, their fans and pretty much their whole club last season.

My impression was that he was average for the first half of the season but good the second half
He only signed for them in January.

Nuno has proving to get the best out of do called average players. He will come into a home from home here with loads of his own country men. I'm sure he will do well under Nuno.

Someone on MMix reckons Joao Mario is a done deal to be announced next week.

Have to be behind the striker. Or the Third CM if we go that way.

Edit - although I’d prefer Costa and Jota in those roles from what I’ve seen of Mario

Replacement for bright in the bench.

There's a Portugese fan on the Mix who rates him highly and thinks he can easily play alongside Neves.

I really like him, might be the only Portuguese player who's smarter than Neves. Reads the game really well, has very good technique and passing, but his intelligence is his biggest strength. Because he's black, a lot of people take a long time to notice it. They seen to notice his technique and athleticism before his intelligence for some reason (I'm gonna say racism).

I think he would play next to Neves, moving around more and doing more short passes and 1-2s, while Neves remains more static doing longer passes. But he can play all 3 midfield positions and winger, because he has the intelligence to know what to do and when to do it.
His biggest weakness is that he can't score, he misses the easiest goals (but scores bangers), so I wouldn't play him next to the striker. He also might have some confidence issues from time to time, but Nuno probably can fix that.
He was destined to be a star from a young age, had some attitude problems when he was a teenager (like 17 [correction: he was 19]), was a bit arrogant and thought of himself as a superstar. I think he's a lot more humble now.

He has been hyped in Portugal since he was ~15 years old (hard to pin-point), I started watching him (not very regularly) when he was ~18 and I became very impressed with him when he was loaned to Vitória de Setúbal when he was 20. That was when I noticed his intelligence, made some passing decisions that just blew my mind, right from the first game when he wasn't physically at his best because he was punished by Sporting for throwing a tantrum.

It doesn't matter if he can play one position or four positions to a mediocre level.

I saw him once in person when he was at Inter, was on holiday in Milan last August. He came on with about 25 minutes to go for Borja Valero (the Albion one) and looked worse than him. Wanted a lot of time on the ball, which he was allowed to have, had I think two aimless shots, then just played it safe, short passes and the like. They played in a 4-2-3-1 and he was part of a two with Vecino at first with Brozovic behind the striker, then I think moved into the ten when Brozovic came off. Wasn't that impressed, Valero looked a lot better, more attacking flair and looked to bring the ball forwards with Joao Mario did not.

My impression of him at West Ham is just what I read online and it's not positive. Wants too much time on the ball all the time, his shooting is pretty poor and can waste good chances but has the potential to score a worldie and was bad at moving the ball forwards.

I think you will find he would have given doc away.

And paid for the travel costs to his new club

I've seen him play and I don't like him. Sorry if that bothers you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back