• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be disappointed if either Doherty or Douglas start the season as first choice

I would be monumentally surprised. The fact we are talking about a loan and potential sub-loan for Vinagre tells you there is planning to bring one wing back in, and the bid for Cancelo suggests the other side is being looked at.

I don't think there will be that many more coming in now possibly another 2-3 at the most and I fully expect at least one of those to be a CM. The Cancelo link is the kind of upgrade we need to be looking at so if we cant make that kind of leap there is no point burning money for a marginal upgrade.

My main worry for Douglas would be his defensive capabilities, which have already been proved to be a bit suspect. Having Boly close by has masked over that problem to an extent but lets face it he will struggle in that department. In terms of his set piece capabilities I think we would have to spend some serious wedge to get someone close to Barry in that regard. For our first season in a transitional period he is fine for me, Doc would be the priority to upgrade or replace simply as he doesn't offer as much.

I think the next signings (ignoring loans for now) will be a CM to partner Neves, another striker (Mir nowhere near ready for me if ever) and a RWB (please let that be Cancelo)

Sub-loaning players is a weird idea and I don't buy that being our plan at all. Just a throwaway line in the E&S' piece.

You only really want to do it when you've committed to having someone for a year, you realise halfway through that they're no longer wanted or needed but the parent club doesn't want them back either. As in the cases of Teixeira and Ola John.

I think the next signings (ignoring loans for now) will be a CM to partner Neves, another striker (Mir nowhere near ready for me if ever) and a RWB (please let that be Cancelo)

I'd have thought another CB would be very high up on the list as well, preferably someone with a bit of pace. Our right side does worry me, especially if we're planning on pushing up a bit and controlling games. Bennett vs Mané or Hazard...

Sub-loaning players is a weird idea and I don't buy that being our plan at all. Just a throwaway line in the E&S' piece.

You only really want to do it when you've committed to having someone for a year, you realise halfway through that they're no longer wanted or needed but the parent club doesn't want them back either. As in the cases of Teixeira and Ola John.

Does sub-loaning guarantee us an option to buy that we could not secure otherwise?

I'd have thought another CB would be very high up on the list as well, preferably someone with a bit of pace. Our right side does worry me, especially if we're planning on pushing up a bit and controlling games. Bennett vs Mané or Hazard...
If we could get an upgrade at CB I would be more than happy but Bennett really surprised me last season and seems to be improving (his distribution for example which was not very good when he first came in)

I still think Hause has a role to play potentially he is an upgrade with Boly moving over to the right but a very poor game against Swansea limited his chances towards the end of last season.

The CB that worries me most is Batth after his performance against Villa I would be terrified watching him get taken apart by pretty much any average premier league IF or WF.

I honestly find the willingness of some to replace Douglas and Saïss totally shocking.

For the right hand CB I'd say it would be preferable for them to have some knowledge of covering or playing at RB because Doc will probably be upfield more often than not. The young Milenkovic lad for Serbia fits the bill as he's played in a back three and at RB. Fits our MO of buying young talent too.

I honestly find the willingness of some to replace Douglas and Saïss totally shocking.

Unfortunately it comes with the job. Neither are good enough for where we want to be and we can’t be sentimental about it (after all, they earn ridiculous amounts).

Defensively Douglas or Doherty aren't very good, they are going to need to defend a lot more next season, hence the need for upgrades. We will miss Baz's set piece delivery so someone we sign will need to be able to cover that area. If Saiss starts 10 PL games next season then I'm OK with that, but as first choice we need better. N'Diaye isn't the answer but someone in his style with more of a football brain would be.

BdC lost and the members' assembly voted him out.

Sporting might now accept our offer for Patrício to avoid a legal battle altogether.

How do Wolves stand if Afobe does not do very well at Stoke City and they decide they do not want to sign him permanently? Does he return to Molineux as I presume he is our player.

Barry Douglas was outstanding last season, and I can quite understand the reason for playing him almost only for free kicks. Watching the World Cup I have yet to see a free kick taker that I thought was superior to Douglas and Ruben Neves. But Bazza will be vulnerable in the PL both from a lack of pace and height. I love the guy and absolutely admire him as a professional, but he is not a top six Premier League player, and that is clearly where Fosun intend us to be

BdC lost and the members' assembly voted him out.

Sporting might now accept our offer for Patrício to avoid a legal battle altogether.

Thanks for the info. Good news for just about everyone then but is there any chance he could still be re-elected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back