• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me but I slated Matt Doherty because he was a fucking terrible full back. I don't need an agenda to point that out. He's still a fucking terrible full back.

Digging out a keeper who has nearly 20 clean sheets with eight games of the season to go isn't quite in the same bracket.

How many goals against do you think Ruddy has been partly or majorly responsible for this season? I reckon you'll struggle to name five.

There was a graphic put up on Sky the other day to say he was joint second in the Championship this year when it came to direct errors leading to goals. That’s not even the major factor for me - you’ve got your head in the sand if you haven’t seen the silly little errors that have crept in to his game at an alarming rate as the season has progressed. Silly little things that would cost us at a higher level. He seems like a top bloke, and he’s been in credit for most of this season because of some top saves early on, but I highly doubt he’ll be starting next season as our number 1.

Name them then. Call out all these goals he's been at fault for.

I don't care what Sky's graphics say. I'll give you Forest away and Norwich at home for free.

Name them then. Call out all these goals he's been at fault for.

I don't care what Sky's graphics say. I'll give you Forest away and Norwich at home for free.

Pointless argument because it’s a matter of opinion. For example, I put him at fault for yesterday’s goal. Sure, it’s travelled through bodies and perhaps taken a deflection - but it’s gone through his fucking legs. He should save it.

Going back to your original comment - just because I (and many others) want Norris to have a run in the side, doesn’t mean we have an “agenda”. Choose your words more carefully.

It is an agenda because it flies in the face of empirical fact.

Out of interest how many of Will Norris' six games for Wolves have you seen? I've seen three of them and while I think he's a very good keeper with a lot going for him, I don't think there's an inestimable case to chuck him in.

Well Matt Doherty has been a part of a side that's kept 20 clean sheets this season too, so you labeling him a "fucking terrible full back" also flies in the face of "empirical fact"...

Except we both know there's a lot more to it than that - same as there's more to Ruddy's performances than the clean sheet column.

I've seen Norris a similar number of times to you (albeit via streams and not in person). I fail to see the relevance of that particular line of debate, because my opinion has been formed on the many, many times I have seen Ruddy play, rather than the few times I have seen Norris.

He doesn't play at full back any more (or even in defence, really).

Have another go.

He doesn't play at full back any more (or even in defence, really).

Have another go.

:icon_lol:

We'll have a beer (and a cuddle) next time I'm up and discuss the matter in person. I always enjoy getting Matt Doherty involved because I know it pushes your buttons!

I think it would be ridiculous to replace Ruddy with only 8 games left. Would be one to upgrade next season though.

Mentioned it a few pages back but Butland isnt worth what his inflated English player at a wealthy club value would be. Liverpool need a better upgrade on him ideally for where they want to be, and we'd be better looking abroad.

If I was ranking prem keepers I'd have Butland below Begovic for example. I'd be interested in what Romero fancies doing if De Gea remains at Utd.

Saying Ruddy is a good keeper, or should keep his place, because he has 'nearly 20 clean sheets' is a fallacious argument. He has 'nearly 20 clean sheets' because he has played so many games. In % terms Norris has a far better clean sheet record. And no-one has an agenda against Ruddy, but he clearly isn't the long term solution. Norris might be and we should find out

Saying Ruddy is a good keeper, or should keep his place, because he has 'nearly 20 clean sheets' is a fallacious argument. He has 'nearly 20 clean sheets' because he has played so many games. In % terms Norris has a far better clean sheet record. And no-one has an agenda against Ruddy, but he clearly isn't the long term solution. Norris might be and we should find out

That's a ludicrous argument :icon_lol: How many clean sheets did Carl Ikeme manage in four seasons of being the regular keeper for us at this level? I'll tell you right now he was personally responsible for a crazy amount of goals. I've actually seen people arguing Ruddy isn't a significant upgrade on him which is nonsensical.

Anyone can play that game, I could disparage the fact that 40% of Will Norris' clean sheets came against the might of Yeovil (17th in League Two) and Bristol Rovers (10th in League One). I wouldn't though, not least as he played very well in the latter game.

Ruddy has been protected by a very decent back 3 & a number of games that we totally dominated so he didn't need to do anything.

There will be upgrades around & if one becomes available wouldn't object, but not sure that he is the most pressing issue

For me I think we need upgrades in these positions:

Ruddy

Douglas
Bennett
Doherty

Bonatini/Afobe

At least five players need upgrading straight off the bat. Then if you look at our midfield there’s little depth in there beyond Neves and Saiss so we need at least one more as I can’t see Alf staying. If we’re going to add another it would have to be an upgrade on Saiss with him becoming a squad player. All that is assuming we make Boly permanent (I really hope we do).

That’s six players to strengthen the first team which is one hell of a shopping list even for Fosun.

I think that's fair. Going to be a few loansas well as a couple of permanents I think. With absolutely no basis in fact I'd like to see if we could get Loftus-Cheek, Alexander-Arnold/ Gomez and Ings if we could.

Just for the sake of debate (and I’m intrigued where sky got figure from) I’ll have a go.

Cardiff home - NML shot goes straight through him. But the bigger errors were Boly going for a ball he didn’t need to, then he missed it, then Douglas was slow to recover.

Forest away - we know

QPR - seem to remember him losing a 60/4 to Washington after we gave the ball away sloppily.

Millwall - should have done better from the cross. It’s about a yard out. But defending at back post wasn’t great either. No challenge from anyone.

Norwich - we know

Few maybe in the Could do better. Burton, Fulham second. Villa 4th.

Ruddy is an upgrade on ikeme.

However, the quality bar has been raised significantly which is why this conversation is happening.

Put Ruddy in last season's team...

Ruddy or Hennessey, I prefer Ruddy! Moire commanding better talking better organisation. Would he play in goal in a top 10 premier side? Probably not. Rome was not built in a day however. There will be some changes but we won't start next season with 11 new faces. Other positions are in more pressing need of an upgrade

Andre Silva came on for Milan today and scored an 82nd minute winner in a 3-2 win against Chievo

Won't prove a great deal either way.

Ruddy has done a good job for us this season, I don't see how he has a realistic chance with any of the goals at Villa and yesterday was a tough one, there's been an agenda building against him for a while though. A lot of the people bigging up Norris won't ever have even seen him play.

Even though I've said I think we need to upgrade on Ruddy I certainly don't have an agenda against him. The only goal I'd blame him for lately is Norwich's equaliser, solely because he had so much time to see it. He's been brilliant this season and has been a much needed shot in the arm in a position that really needed it. I only think we should upgrade on him because I think he'd struggle back in the Premier League, and I doubt Will Norris is the answer just yet.

Not that I think your post was aimed at me either, just clarifying my stance :D

I think that's fair. Going to be a few loansas well as a couple of permanents I think. With absolutely no basis in fact I'd like to see if we could get Loftus-Cheek, Alexander-Arnold/ Gomez and Ings if we could.

Loftus-Cheek wouldn't be a bad call at all, a season long loan could be highly possible there, I reckon he'd compliment Neves perfectly. Gomez and Alexander-Arnold would be a no go though I reckon, TAA will probably play second fiddle to Clyne next season and I can see Gomez being pushed across to the middle to take Klavan's place so there won't be three competing for one position. I'd have either here though on a short term basis.

That's a ludicrous argument :icon_lol: How many clean sheets did Carl Ikeme manage in four seasons of being the regular keeper for us at this level? I'll tell you right now he was personally responsible for a crazy amount of goals. I've actually seen people arguing Ruddy isn't a significant upgrade on him which is nonsensical.

Anyone can play that game, I could disparage the fact that 40% of Will Norris' clean sheets came against the might of Yeovil (17th in League Two) and Bristol Rovers (10th in League One). I wouldn't though, not least as he played very well in the latter game.

No, it's not a ludicrous argument: it's one based on maths. Of course Norris played against Bristol and Yeovil. He also played against Soton and Man City. I'm not looking to fall out with you, simply making the point that you can't use the number of clean sheets Ruddy has to argue that he should keep his place. Put any number of keepers in the Wolves team this year and they'd equal that number of clean sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back