• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nikolas

@NikolasAlek
22h22 hours ago

Looking more and more likely that Sporting will find compromises with the players that have or want to terminate their contracts.

All still possible, but currently we are moving close to a compromise and the Rui transfer going through in a monetary sense rather than for free.

Seems he is essentially our player either way now. I'm sure Sporting will take the original money as offered - not that they seem to behave with much logic at the moment.

My biggest concern is hearing from those who know more than I, that he actually isn't especially good.

That goal against Leeds in the 0-3 win is enough for me :)

My biggest concern is hearing from those who know more than I, that he actually isn't especially good.

He is good though, it’s just hyperbole that he’s either world class or crap.

To my mind he’d be the fifth best keeper in the premier league, and buying that standard of player is fantastic for us.

I’d have him behind De Gea, Courtois, Ederson and Lloris but ahead of the rest. I’ll be very happy with him coming in.

Nuno played with a three man midfield often to close games out but I don't think he ever started with that organisation of players. Sometimes we would replace a striker with N'Diaye, who would be almost a false striker (withthe inside forwards narrower too), and sometimes he would play Neves deeper with Saiss and N'Diaye/Gibbs-White either side of him. But it never really gave us the balance that the 1-3-4-3 did. Granted, we obviously played that more often and most likely train for that formation more often.

NES current formation can be trouble in PL specially against top teams with a lot of ball possession and quality players on the wings. Losing ball possession when the wingers are high on the pitch, when you have top talent on the other side, is tough. Usually both CM's had a good dynamic, with one containing and the other giving coverage, but when you are facing players with other quality that you didn't face in the Championship it can be tricky. Both CM's can be tempted to pull back too much which will lead to a huge gap between lines.

Very curious with NES approach.

He is good though, it’s just hyperbole that he’s either world class or crap.

To my mind he’d be the fifth best keeper in the premier league, and buying that standard of player is fantastic for us.

I’d have him behind De Gea, Courtois, Ederson and Lloris but ahead of the rest. I’ll be very happy with him coming in.

I would not place him that high. Patricio is a good keeper for a portuguese player (most suck) but I would not rank him that high. He is capable of the very best but sometimes of the very worse too.

For example this was on his last portuguese league match:

https://youtu.be/Qf9ZTQzIUW0

But of course this is my favorite:

https://youtu.be/V_mMGtRFfxY

Calm down though...he is capable of pulling this off too:

https://youtu.be/y7hPH83pFiA

NES current formation can be trouble in PL specially against top teams with a lot of ball possession and quality players on the wings. Losing ball possession when the wingers are high on the pitch, when you have top talent on the other side, is tough. Usually both CM's had a good dynamic, with one containing and the other giving coverage, but when you are facing players with other quality that you didn't face in the Championship it can be tricky. Both CM's can be tempted to pull back too much which will lead to a huge gap between lines.

Very curious with NES approach.

It will be interesting, but we will come up against similar teams in terms of style to in the championship where our mid press will hurt teams. The inside forwards have been especially important to our defensive structure, hence why fast, aggressive players like Jota and Cavaleiro have been priceless. Costa has a different style but is as equally hard working. We tend to try and trap the opposition in wide positions but with the back three and two centre mods we are well protected centrally.

It will be interesting, but we will come up against similar teams in terms of style to in the championship where our mid press will hurt teams. The inside forwards have been especially important to our defensive structure, hence why fast, aggressive players like Jota and Cavaleiro have been priceless. Costa has a different style but is as equally hard working. We tend to try and trap the opposition in wide positions but with the back three and two centre mods we are well protected centrally.

With the conversion of the Boly and Jota loans I would say we're going to stay with the 3-4-3 formation.

It will be interesting to see who else we buy to strengthen that formation, particularly at wing back.

Cancelo would be perfect on the right hand side.

For the left hand side I would go with someone with better defensive skills. Maybe Aaron (Espanyol)

Yep Cancelo would be ideal but doubt we will get him. More likely Sarr from Marseille I reckon. Left hand side is tricky as I'm keen for us to sign Vinagre permanently but at moment he probably isn't an upgrade on Douglas (who we may well stick with for next season - his delivery will be vital)

Fresh statement from Sporting.

https://bit.ly/2kICU1y

To summarise: Bruno de Carvalho & the board won't be stepping down & say they want "no more lies or manipluation" from Gestifute with regard Rui Patricio. Again calls on Rui Patricio to reflect on & reconsider his release demand.

This really isn't worth the bother.

For free is a ridiculous good deal. For 18M, Wolves can do better. Is it worth all the bother in the future with courts and FIFA circus? I don't think so.

There isn't a lot of bother in waiting for 7 days and picking up a top end keeper for freebies

There isn't a lot of bother in waiting for 7 days and picking up a top end keeper for freebies

That's not going to be the end of it though is it, Sporting aren't going to say "fair enough, he's yours".

It's a mess and we don't want any part of it.

Legally it looks like that is the end of it and there is fuck all they can do

FIFA wont stop us registering him. The only issue to settle would be how much (if any) compensation Sporting were due. In the meantime he'd be a Wolves player.

That is right. Sporting will go to courts and FIFA. It's no wolves problem since in case they decide in favour of sporting, it's Patricio who is going to pay. But it's still a pain in a*#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back