• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's decent but definitely not worth this hassle. If he was as good some claim he wouldn't be 30 and still playing for Sporting.

He’s played in several world cups and won the European championships. There’s a lot to be said for a one club man (for the bulk of his career) too. Let’s not kid ourselves. Our current first choice goalkeeper is John Ruddy. This would be a massive upgrade.

He's decent but definitely not worth this hassle. If he was as good some claim he wouldn't be 30 and still playing for Sporting.
He's only moving now because of the chairman. He stayed for years out of loyalty.

He’s played in several world cups and won the European championships.

He's played in one World Cup and won the European Championships, which is the same roll of honour as Eder and I doubt you'd fancy him leading the line for us next season.

He’s played in several world cups and won the European championships. There’s a lot to be said for a one club man (for the bulk of his career) too. Let’s not kid ourselves. Our current first choice goalkeeper is John Ruddy. This would be a massive upgrade.

Granted I've not seen a huge amount of him but he's always looked like a bit of a flapper to me. Portugal not exactly renowned for its goalkeeping exports either. Our current manager being a pretty good example.

Is he a Flappy McFlapperton?

If we sign a keeper, only thing then is, what do we do with Ruddy? Who plays when X keeper doesn't, Ruddy or Norris? Surely one has to go, or Norris goes on loan and it's make or break whether he's our backup keeper next season.

He's lightyears ahead of John Ruddy. It's a massive upgrade.

He isn't he really isn't but a premier league duo of him and Ruddy would be fine.

Norris out on loan in the championship and it's win all round.

FWIW supporters of other clubs in Portugal seem to think rather highly of Rui.

He's played in one World Cup and won the European Championships, which is the same roll of honour as Eder and I doubt you'd fancy him leading the line for us next season.

Funnily enough, when I posted my comment I was laughing because I knew you’d be popping up shortly after with an example of a shit player who’s featured in a major tournament - you’re quite predictable like that... although I did expect you to go with one of the Greek squad from their Euro winning squad rather than Eder :icon_lol:

Patrício + Ruddy as our two first team goalkeepers next season would be excellent for a club at our level.

Transfer Markt.com values in euros FWIW

Ruddy 3m
Patricio 16m
Butland 22m
Joe Hart 10m

Patrício + Ruddy as our two first team goalkeepers next season would be excellent for a club at our level.

Even better if the combined transfer fees = £0

Funnily enough, when I posted my comment I was laughing because I knew you’d be popping up shortly after with an example of a shit player who’s featured in a major tournament - you’re quite predictable like that... although I did expect you to go with one of the Greek squad from their Euro winning squad rather than Eder :icon_lol:

You shouldn't make silly arguments then :)

He's a decent keeper with the odd ricket in him (so like Ruddy then...), I was definitely against the idea at a mooted €30m as he's worth nothing like that, just over half that amount then maybe but I suspect we could do a fair bit better and I wouldn't be expecting him to be fantastic for us, if it means we spend the next couple of months saying we've signed him, Sporting say we haven't and there's a whole wrangle going through FIFA/CAS then absolutely no, we don't need that kind of diversion in a critical window.

Living down here been getting laughed at by Bournemouth fans I know that we have paid that much (whatever the price was - though suspect that they did no more than get their money back) for resigning Afobe as they consider him to be worthless.

Whatever - we will presumably bring in a primary striker so he is here as back up (both he & Leo have faults & whilst I would have considered Leo as the better bet and a cheaper option for that role am happy to trust Nuno's judgment)

Bringing in 2 new strikers who do not know the club or the system would be a risk as no way of knowing whether they will cut it - we have some promising youngsters who can fill in for the odd game or using a 3 of Jota/Cavaleiro/Costa with no fully recognised striker is also an possibility when we have no other option.

Re Jota - seen this today - really can't see what benefit that is to him or us so probably 'made up rubbish'

It is absolute fucking bollocks. I mean how many times do the club have to confirm that Jota is ours???

Podence also resigned. Average player.

William Carvalho and Bruno Fernandes are next in line (BF is a tremendous player).

Would Bruno Fernandes and Ruben Neves be a little bit lightweight together in a midfield or does he have attributes beyond his size (appears to be only 5'8" - 1.73m for all those in metric)?

Could the Afobe fee be in relation to a sell in clause we have? If we have a 25% sell in clause and have payed 12.5 then it makes a little more sense?

Probably more to do with the loan fee for the last six months being taken off.

Podence also resigned. Average player.

William Carvalho and Bruno Fernandes are next in line (BF is a tremendous player).

I've kind of been following what's happening at sporting today.

The sporting president seems mentally ill. He's destroyed the club in a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back