• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

Can't believe how apathetic I've become about watching England. Germany and Brazil should be the highlights of the year and I really can't be arsed to watch either of them live. This side under Southgate just bores me to tears.

It's the nightmare combo of being both dull and ineffectual.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could see what he's building or any kind of new ideas that he's trying to introduce. Instead it's a hotchpotch of borrowed ideas implemented in a really half-arsed way and selection so random that Saunders would give it the stamp of endorsement.

If the FA had any vision they'd have said "Thanks Gareth for stepping in at short notice when the previous incumbent with a history of being a corrupt fat fool showed himself to be a corrupt fat fool and for not totally messing up qualifying. We appreciate it. Now off you pop with a tidy pay off" and gone and got a proper manager. Where do they seriously think Southgate is going to take us? Even if things went as well as they possibly could in terms of player form and availability?

As I've said before, not one of the current PL clubs would take Southgate as their manager, half the Championship probably wouldn't either.

Agree with the comments re apathy. And though Kane has withdrawn, Poch has already said he'll be fine for spurs next game. I don't even know when the 2 friendlies are, and completely forgot about the last 2 qualifiers only finding out when I turned the tv on for something to watch, and then turned them off owing to cockwomble hoddle featuring again!

Generally I agree with DW above. I mean, what is the point in calling Ashley Young up to the squad? No fucking reason whatsoever. If he'd called up the U17 winning team and played them I'd be more interested in seeing what happened.

I also think the contrast we're seeing with how our club are at the moment - the engagement they're developing with the fanbase, the style of football, the recruitment (not just onfield) gives us more to get our teeth into. Someone posted how boring international breaks are the other day (& I know I did last break) and youngwolf replied that it was only 1 day into the break. I was fucking heartbroken realising the next wolves fix isn't until a week on saturday.

You’d never have guessed that Dowie and Taggart might prefer Norn Iron to win.

Northern Ireland second best, but still keeping the Swiss at bay. And I think that Switzerland were rather fortunate not to be reduced to ten men after just a few minutes for a shocking challenge.

A penalty to Switzerland, though I am not too convinced about the validity of it.

Penalty converted, 1 - 0 to the Swiss.

A penalty to Switzerland, though I am not too convinced about the validity of it.

Penalty converted, 1 - 0 to the Swiss.

That was never a penalty.

Ref should be embarrassed giving that, in such a high profile game too

Came off his elbow. It's maybe a bit harsh but not "never" a pen, IMO.

He didn't make an unnatural movement with his arm towards the ball. He's jumped and turned his back - not much the defender could do

Nowhere near his elbow. Debatable if it even hit the back of his shoulder. Swiss should have been down to 10 players after the first 5 minutes as well.

He didn't make an unnatural movement with his arm towards the ball. He's jumped and turned his back - not much the defender could do

Difference of perspective, then. I tend to make handball as black/white as I can and ignore intent.

:shakehand:

Even if you ignore 'intent', it's still got to hit part of your hand/arm. Your 'back' is a different part of the body. Ref's been crap at best.

Even if you ignore 'intent', it's still got to hit part of your hand/arm. Your 'back' is a different part of the body. Ref's been crap at best.

Good job it didn't hit his back, then.

That's a bit like a handball at the other end. But ref didnt see it :)

Difference of perspective, then. I tend to make handball as black/white as I can and ignore intent.

:shakehand:

I'd prefer it if it was like this then there's no interpretation required on the part of the ref and the only decision to be made is "has the ball hit a certain part of the anatomy?"

However, there are guidelines to say when it's a penalty and when it's not

I'd prefer it if it was like this then there's no interpretation required on the part of the ref and the only decision to be made is "has the ball hit a certain part of the anatomy?"

However, there are guidelines to say when it's a penalty and when it's not

Just think it's impossible to judge intent, personally. It's like a dangerous challenge; you may not have meant to injure the opponent, but that doesn't stop it being dangerous.

Of course, that solution comes with its own problems. Nothing can be just perfect in sport!

Back