• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

Northern Ireland v Switzerland
Croatia v Greece
Denmark v Republic of Ireland
Sweden v Italy

Both will have to be at their best to progress. Denmark is never an easy team to beat and the swiss on their day are resilient. There was no easy match though. Shame they didnt get each other. Better one guaranteed than none.

World Cup seeds will be:

Russia
Germany
Brazil
Portugal
Argentina
Belgium
Poland
France

Spain will miss out, they're only ranked 8th and everyone above them has definitely qualified (first time they've not been seeded since 1994).

So England will get one of those and two of the following (all contingent on who actually qualifies, and whether we get a UEFA or CONMEBOL seed - ie if we draw one of the six UEFA seeds, we can't get any UEFA teams in the below list whatever happens. Bolded those countries who are definitely through):

Costa Rica, Iceland, Iran, Egypt, Japan, Nigeria, Serbia, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Panama, Croatia, Denmark, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Tunisia, Senegal, DR Congo, Australia, Greece, Morocco, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Cape Verde, Honduras, South Africa, New Zealand.

We can't get Mexico, Spain, Uruguay, Colombia, Peru, Switzerland or Italy.

Argentina please from that lot.Belgium are so overdue a decent run its untrue and we have far to much shit history againt Portugal, Germany and France.You never really want Brazil but better in the group than in knockouts likewise Argentina. Argentina really arent that good. I know we arent either but a 0-0 with them would do if you win another match.I would like Nigeria or Egypt just to give Alan something to sing about or us something to rib him about. Its about time either way.Finish off with one of the play off winners and it would be a good hard fought group. Dont really want either Ireland to be fair as I have had enough of the ABE brigade for this world cup. What I really dont want is a group where we arer favourites to proceed. Its the kiss of death. Sooner have a group of death than a so called easy route.Better to lose against the best than fuck it up against the mediocre

Gomez, Abrahams and Loftus Cheek called up to the England Squad for the upcoming friendlies.

It really winds me up how so many people call him "Tammy Abrahams" :icon_lol: Where's the rogue "s" coming from?

I though Loftus-Cheek was injured?

Came back with a sub appearance against Newcastle, and then played a full part in the defeat against Bristol City and draw against West Ham.

The usual contradictions from an England manager. Tell the press they haven't called up a player (in this case - Wilshere) due to lack of game time pick other players who haven't played either.

The usual contradictions from an England manager. Tell the press they haven't called up a player (in this case - Wilshere) due to lack of game time pick other players who haven't played either.

He's shit at most elements of management but Southgate is really bad at that side of things (which is odd, as he's relatively well-spoken and wasn't a bad pundit at all). He's got a Lambert-esque knack of tying himself in knots.

Ashley fecking Young.

Wonderful stuff.

At least he's not picked four keepers? :)

Ashley fecking Young.

Wonderful stuff.

I mean why has he even done that, going to play him at LB are we? Because that's where he's playing the vast majority of his football for United. I rather think we'll pick an actual LB there, we aren't even short on options.

It was being widely predicted that Ashley Young would be in the England squad following his good form for Manchester United.

You don't pick players just to be "fair" though. We are never, ever, ever going to go into a tournament with Ashley Young as our starting LB and he doesn't play wide any more. He's old and hasn't played international football for over four years. It's a selection that serves no purpose, like when Southgate recalled Glen Johnson for his very first squad.

Got tickets the the Germany game, so really looking forward to this.
Ashley Young is disappointing, I would rather we look at young players, would have preferred to see one of the U20's that have not played than Young who has been tried before.

I actually don't mind Abraham being called up, think he's looked good.

Less convinced by the other two calls ups so far, and not delighted at all with Young.

Weird squad from Southgate. Only 3 keepers! (obviously Hart is still in there, and will no doubt start the first friendly)

Doesn't pick Wilshere because he isn't in Arsenal's side, but Danny Rose and Jesse Lingard get the nod.

And for some reason has picked 7 full-backs! Or at least 7 players who have been playing full-back predominantly this season

Only noticed today that Chris Smalling (has been playing pretty much every game for Man Utd over the last 6-7 weeks, in his 11 starts this season United have conceded six goals, 31 caps so a far bit of international experience to build on, has rarely ever let England down) isn't in the squad, but Harry Maguire and his gargantuan head is, despite looking like a serious weak link for a Leicester team who can't really defend (they have in fact conceded more goals in the league than Swansea, Burnley, Huddersfield and Bournemouth). Does he even look at who's doing what or just have a bit of a blind guess?

Back