• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

Currently ranked 15th, Russia will be in the top pot, but Chile and Wales are above us and haven't qualified so effectively 14th as we stand. Poland and Switzerland (if they qualify) look like being Top seeds, so a favourable draw is out there.

Russia is a joke and playing with old people in wheelchairs(would be more suitabale for paralympics imo)...but may get lucky with a flukey draw to get out of the group because of their seeding position..then they will go out..

You might want to look at Poland's qualifying results. Inconsistent sums it up. But if you catch them on a good day, they could be a seriously dangerous opponent.

No doubting that, but compared to drawing Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium or Portugal has to be seen as favourable. If France don't squeeze above Switzerland then the Swiss, Poland or Russia are the teams we'd want.

Russia is the team you want. No competitive football for ages. Average to crap side.

Saying that, top two are going to qualify from each group, so being in with Germany or Argentina means a proper competitive game that might, just might help set England up for the latter stages.

We'd beat Germany or Argentina in the Group game and lose to Columbia in the round of 16

I really really really hope a real underdog wins it. A 1992 Denmark scenario would be wonderful. Restore my faith in international football, which as you cdan see, is tinged with lots of cynicism

Greece in 2004 was probably more unlikely

Argentina are not very good at the moment. And I don't think they'll have a good midfield and defense suddenly sprout up before summer.

Finally, stupid boring international fortnight is over

World Cup seeds will be:

Russia
Germany
Brazil
Portugal
Argentina
Belgium
Poland
France

Spain will miss out, they're only ranked 8th and everyone above them has definitely qualified (first time they've not been seeded since 1994).

So England will get one of those and two of the following (all contingent on who actually qualifies, and whether we get a UEFA or CONMEBOL seed - ie if we draw one of the six UEFA seeds, we can't get any UEFA teams in the below list whatever happens. Bolded those countries who are definitely through):

Costa Rica, Iceland, Iran, Egypt, Japan, Nigeria, Serbia, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Panama, Croatia, Denmark, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Tunisia, Senegal, DR Congo, Australia, Greece, Morocco, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Cape Verde, Honduras, South Africa, New Zealand.

We can't get Mexico, Spain, Uruguay, Colombia, Peru, Switzerland or Italy.

Last edited:
Christ, that's a good argument for reverting to a 16-team tournament. I'm slitting my wrists just imagining some of those matches.

Tbf there's a very low chance that any of DR Congo, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, South Africa or New Zealand will qualify. Looks less iffy if you cross them off the list.

Let's hope we get Russia then because I don't like the look of those other top seeds!

I don't like the look of anyone while Southgate is manager. It's beyond his wit to break down Malta and Lithuania with any conviction.

Entirely possible that we'd get someone like Panama and draw 0-0, à la Algeria in 2010 (don't ever try watching "highlights" of that game). Of course it doesn't have to be this way, we could get rid of him knowing full well that he'll do nothing in this tournament, isn't building a grand project, doesn't have loads of good ideas and doesn't even especially want the job. But we won't.

Northern Ireland v Switzerland
Croatia v Greece
Denmark v Republic of Ireland
Sweden v Italy

Don't think either NI or Republic will be too disappointed with their draw. Obviously both wanted to avoid Italy

Back