• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

It is very offensive to label English people alive today with the acts of their ancestors centuries ago. Would you go to Germany and show complete hatred towards them because of what a regime did there 70 years ago.
Also it's highly sanctimonious of welsh and more Scottish people to slate the English of there past when theycontributed to the British empire.

I'm not going down this road today.

It is very offensive to label English people alive today with the acts of their ancestors centuries ago. Would you go to Germany and show complete hatred towards them because of what a regime did there 70 years ago.
Also it's highly sanctimonious of welsh and more Scottish people to slate the English of there past when theycontributed to the British empire.

For the third, and hopefully last time, I haven't labelled you at all. I have explained why ABE exists. It doesn't mean we all have to hate each other, but it explains the root of the rivalry and why England seem rather ganged up on by the other countries.

TBH I have no ABE at all about football. I really don't. Wales have been crap for aeons until the last three years so there isn't really much rivalry.

My only ABE is related to rugby union.

I've never seen that as nasty. You don't like us (or the way we used to play in the 90s and under Woodward) but meh...I can live with that. Makes it more amusing when we rock up in your backyard and do you over :D

I'm sure I remember you posting on here that you supported England in football and Wales in rugby paddy?

For the third, and hopefully last time, I haven't labelled you at all. I have explained why ABE exists. It doesn't mean we all have to hate each other, but it explains the root of the rivalry and why England seem rather ganged up on by the other countries.

TBH I have no ABE at all about football. I really don't. Wales have been crap for aeons until the last three years so there isn't really much rivalry.

Paddy I know how what you mean but having lived in Scotland for four years during my forces days and being subjected to the abuse I did during two major tournaments it's hard not to feel some resentment back.

Ah - I think relating to the football with Scotland it is much MUCH more intense. Probably because we were so crap for so damn long in Wales. (Not that our rugby has been without nadir after nadir for a long period between the seventies and the turn of the millenium).

I just think resentment is probably a shame. Healthy rivalry is one thing, but when it spills over (whomever is doing the spilling) then that is unfortunate and not needed.

(I however reserve my rights to fucking despise Will Carling, Rob Andrew, Clive Woodward, etc etc. I can't get my head around saying anything nice about the English rugby team. It's in the blood)

I've heard you say nice things about some of our players. I should have recorded you...

I'm sure I remember you posting on here that you supported England in football and Wales in rugby paddy?

Back in the day absolutely. Welsh mother, English father, and Wales were balls at football, so I followed England as well. However, last summer when we finally met in something competitive (I don't really remember much of the home nations championship tbh) then I was always going to support Wales in that match.

Suffice to say, I will be hoping England have a good tournament next summer, and will enjoy it if they do. Chances are they will struggle without a change of manager.

DP so I will answer DW

I think I said I admired Wilkinson. Not liked, but admired him.

And I always thought Mick Skinner and Gareth Chilcott were ace.

I can GUARANTEE I never said anything nice about Will Carling. I would happily put him in a cage with Rees-Mogg and let them fight to the death, while I held a gun to shoot the survivor.

Technically I'm half Welsh (my Mum was born in Wales to Welsh parents but spent most of her life in England) but I feel no affinity with Wales at all. The only time I've ever even set foot in Wales was for the Play Off final! Having said that, I'm also a pretty unpatriotic Englishman too. I'm not particularly proud to be English (although, it's better than being American :icon_wink:)

All nationalism is a pile of bollocks to me, it's just a way of the ruling elite finding another focus for anger of normal people.

That said I do like a bit of friendly 'bantz' when we play each other (I especially like poking the Welsh when we beat them at Rugby again), anything further than that is just a stupidity and a waste of time and effort

Paddy I know how what you mean but having lived in Scotland for four years during my forces days and being subjected to the abuse I did during two major tournaments it's hard not to feel some resentment back.

This always confuses me. What kind of people were you hanging around with that subjected you to such horrible abuse that you still bear a grudge?

I've lived in Scotland for about 19 years on and off and the only time my nationality has ever caused any problems was when I was thrown out of a pub in Glasgow for going absolutely apeshit when Daniel Sturridge scored in the last minute vs Wales and looking back I probably (definitely) deserved that.

I've been to 2 Scotland v England games at Hampden in the away end and will always support England over Scotland if they're in direct competition but I've got a lot of time for the Scottish national side, the glorious fuck ups that they are.

This always confuses me. What kind of people were you hanging around with that subjected you to such horrible abuse that you still bear a grudge?

I've lived in Scotland for about 19 years on and off and the only time my nationality has ever caused any problems was when I was thrown out of a pub in Glasgow for going absolutely ape$#@! when Daniel Sturridge scored in the last minute vs Wales and looking back I probably (definitely) deserved that.

I've been to 2 Scotland v England games at Hampden in the away end and will always support England over Scotland if they're in direct competition but I've got a lot of time for the Scottish national side, the glorious $#@! ups that they are.

Fair point their horrid behaviour only seemed to appear when England kicked off, day to day they were decent people just seemed to let a twin sibling out every time England played.

Italy
Switzerland
Denmark
Croatia
-----------
Northern Ireland
Sweden
Republic of Ireland
Greece

I think NI could beat Denmark or Switzerland.

I have read the last few pages, and despite googling it, I still have no idea what ABE is.

Back