• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

Result wise yes it was. I have no great insight into the individual games bar bits I have seen (Portugal v North Korea, England v Argentina, England in the final obvs)

1970 is probably the classic world cup, and I love watching any highlights I can get of it, but it is hard to comment about the experience as my parents were basically newly weds!

I apologise but associating English alive today with the hideous acts committed by lunatic king 800 years ago is below the belt.

I am not associating the English alive today. And to be clear Edward I wasn't a lunatic. Many things, mostly French, but not a loon.

My point is that the whole basis of ABE comes from the fact that Wales and Scotland were invaded and subjugated at that time. The clue is in Flower of Scotland for a start, or in looking up at Harlech castle.

You can't suddenly expect the more, shall we say, fringe members of the celtic society to like England, or English sport suddenly. It won't happen.

I loved 1990, partly because of England but also cameroon - it seemed like anything was possible.

2002 was also pretty decent, but as I mainly watched it on a tiny Black and White portable I may be wrong.

I am not associating the English alive today. And to be clear Edward I wasn't a lunatic. Many things, mostly French, but not a loon.

My point is that the whole basis of ABE comes from the fact that Wales and Scotland were invaded and subjugated at that time. The clue is in Flower of Scotland for a start, or in looking up at Harlech castle.

You can't suddenly expect the more, shall we say, fringe members of the celtic society to like England, or English sport suddenly. It won't happen.

Not saying they should all I said was expect the home nations to go into full ABE mode.

In my time:

1990: I was only nine so it seemed awesome at the time. My first World Cup and indeed proper tournament as I was still a bit young in Euro 88 (I remember seeing us lose to Ireland, but nothing really beyond that). My hero playing for England. England doing well (results wise at least). Cameroon beating Argentina. Immense goal nets, official ball and kits. Nessun Dorma. In retrospect the football was largely pap overall, Argentina getting that far was a travesty as they were awful.

1994: Actually a decent tournament football wise. Shame loads of the games finished well after midnight (indeed some were even a 1am start) so didn't see all that much of it live. Unfortunately overshadowed by Escobar/Maradona to an extent and the final was dogshit.

1998: Quality tournament (although France got a bit lucky all the way through, they weren't that good then. Their Euro 2000 team was the real deal).

2002: Alright and helped on a personal level by me being essentially free for a summer having returned from Germany and being able to watch all the games even though they were played at odd times. Upsets are always fun...but there were probably one or two too many here which diluted the quality a bit too much in the latter stages. Again no way Germany should have got that far with that squad.

2006: Started fantastically (possibly the best group stage I've seen) but really tailed off. Switzerland vs Ukraine is probably the worst World Cup match I have ever watched. I didn't see Austria vs West Germany in 1982 (well I might have done inadvertantly. I was 1) but I reckon even though that was a blatant fix it was better than this one. Italy weren't very inspiring winners, pretty average team Buffon, Cannavaro and Pirlo aside.

2010: The worst tournament I have ever seen, fucking diabolical from start to finish. Let us never speak of it again.

2014: Decent enough. Germany doing a hyper-mawkish Brazil 7-1 was great stuff and it means we'll probably never have to watch Scolari's football ever again.

In my time:

1990: I was only nine so it seemed awesome at the time. My first World Cup and indeed proper tournament as I was still a bit young in Euro 88 (I remember seeing us lose to Ireland, but nothing really beyond that). My hero playing for England. England doing well (results wise at least). Cameroon beating Argentina. Immense goal nets, official ball and kits. Nessun Dorma. In retrospect the football was largely pap overall, Argentina getting that far was a travesty as they were awful.

1994: Actually a decent tournament football wise. Shame loads of the games finished well after midnight (indeed some were even a 1am start) so didn't see all that much of it live. Unfortunately overshadowed by Escobar/Maradona to an extent and the final was dogshit.

1998: Quality tournament (although France got a bit lucky all the way through, they weren't that good then. Their Euro 2000 team was the real deal).

2002: Alright and helped on a personal level by me being essentially free for a summer having returned from Germany and being able to watch all the games even though they were played at odd times. Upsets are always fun...but there were probably one or two too many here which diluted the quality a bit too much in the latter stages. Again no way Germany should have got that far with that squad.

2006: Started fantastically (possibly the best group stage I've seen) but really tailed off. Switzerland vs Ukraine is probably the worst World Cup match I have ever watched. I didn't see Austria vs West Germany in 1982 (well I might have done inadvertantly. I was 1) but I reckon even though that was a blatant fix it was better than this one. Italy weren't very inspiring winners, pretty average team Buffon, Cannavaro and Pirlo aside.

2010: The worst tournament I have ever seen, fucking diabolical from start to finish. Let us never speak of it again.

2014: Decent enough. Germany doing a hyper-mawkish Brazil 7-1 was great stuff and it means we'll probably never have to watch Scolari's football ever again.

I can remember bits of 1982

Austria v West Germany was a disgrace. Bryan Robson scoring after about fifteen seconds against France, whom England absolutely took to pieces. The dire second round. Scotland v Brazil was quite entertaining. France v West Germany was a brilliant game, and Brazil v Italy was electrifying.

Paddy Power slaying internet idiots

BC04bAo.jpg

That weekend was fantastic

England Qualified (Played shite but who cares, one of the youngest teams at that level at the moment, can they improve yes, will they get out the group unlikely)
Scotland got knocked out in the final game, it's just a shame it was not a last minute goal that killed them
And then last night the Welsh got beat on their own pitch.

If Carling did weekends

All we need now, is Republic to draw Italy, and get humped.
Then Norther Ireland to win their play off

and all of a sudden it's a Carling World cup.

Back