• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

A lot of it comes down to luck I suppose. If we'd have had a properly fit Beckham, Neville and Gerrard in 2002 then I think we could have overcome Brazil. If Rooney doesn't get injured then I'm convinced we'd have won Euro 2004 (Sven takes his share of the blame for making the wrong sub). There was clearly a fatigue about the whole regime in 2006 but remember, we also lost Owen to a cruciate injury in the groups. He definitely didn't get the rub of the green.

Not sure about the Sven love. He beat Denmark and Ecuador in the world cup knockout stages with probably the best group of players since 1970. He also took stupid gambles on players fitness and rarely looked like he had a plan B. Oh and Walcott.

On the other hand we win 2004 if Rooney doesn't get injured.

Foreshadowed by Hodbod and Keggy. Succeeded by McClaren and Capello*.

It's no wonder he stands out a bit.

*Actually Capello was alright for a little bit but lost the plot overnight to an extent I'm not sure I've ever seen in any other manager at any level

Strangest part is that there's a very good crop of Italian players emerging from Serie A.

His long career is mediocre at best. 30 years as a coach and achieved what? Promotion with Spal 30 years ago. How on earth does this guy get such a gig? From the impeccable Conte to this chump, madness. Ancelotti is knocking about, I would get him in immediately

Capello had a plan and everything but seemed to abandon it the moment we qualified. Then we had all the calling up retired players nonsense...

How on earth does this guy get such a gig?

Welcome to our world...

We might end up appointing Steve Agnew next as we seem to love rubbish Middlesbrough managers. We even had Bryan Robson on the staff in Euro 96...

Capello lost interest once he was overruled by the FA on Terry and the captaincy. Sven was too negative and never really let the team loose in tournaments, took too many gambles on injured players and kept trying to pick the best players rather than the best team eg Scholes on the left. In hindsight though Quarter Final defeats are a high watermark of the last 20 years.

Capello lost interest once he was overruled by the FA on Terry and the captaincy. Sven was too negative and never really let the team loose in tournaments, took too many gambles on injured players and kept trying to pick the best players rather than the best team eg Scholes on the left. In hindsight though Quarter Final defeats are a high watermark of the last 20 years.

We used to see quarter finals as a disappointment. Great days.

We should sack him today and give it to Ancelotti.

I'd genuinely take Mick over Southgate. Not even joking.

Elsewhere, maverick stuff from Croatia who've sacked their manager with one game to go (and they need a result in Kiev too).

Mick, Colin, Sean Dyche are all managers I'd have over Southgate

I'd even taken the hosts of match of the day, maybe not Garth brooks though. His team's of the work are usually bonkers

Mick, Colin, Sean Dyche are all managers I'd have over Southgate

I'd even taken the hosts of match of the day, maybe not Garth brooks though. His team's of the work are usually bonkers
81WaB7mcH5L.jpg

Given a choice I would sooner listen to Garth Brooks views on football rather than Garth Crooks.

Exactly my point, if I wanted someone to lasso something he'd be my first port of call.

P.s. is this when you realise you're making the transition to middle age when you start getting names wrong...

Kane and Rashford aside - all of our “class” players only show glimpses of that “class” for their clubs albeit they are surrounded by foreign CLASS players which as we (Wolves fans) should well know does bring out the, previously unnoticed, best in you. Too many I AM players who think they’re a hell of a lot better than they are.

Exactly my point, if I wanted someone to lasso something he'd be my first port of call.

P.s. is this when you realise you're making the transition to middle age when you start getting names wrong...

Oh yes. My kids have been called all sorts before I reach their correct name.

Kane and Rashford aside - all of our “class” players only show glimpses of that “class” for their clubs albeit they are surrounded by foreign CLASS players which as we (Wolves fans) should well know does bring out the, previously unnoticed, best in you. Too many I AM players who think they’re a hell of a lot better than they are.

It took the Wolves club manager 6 weeks to develop a pattern of play from scratch, yet theres no indication the England set up has even started to develop a system of play to take forward into the tournament stage of competition.
I would question the work they are doing on the training field.

Understand your view but a bit harsh on Dele Alli - he had a fantastic season last year.

Back