• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

October 2001.

I had one of these bad boys (with D2 branding). Germany was way behind the times as far as mobiles go for a while. Didn't break it.

1baeb843f3f7a1b824f0117cc90f41a3--philips-mobile-phones.jpg

Phones were made of sturdy stuff in those days. If it had been a smartphone it would have cracked all over the place. Once I'd put the battery back in and clicked the back cover back on it was fine :D

That goal is one of very few fond memories from watching England. Up there with the 5-1 in Germany.

So what you're basically saying is Sven was awesome.

I need to write an article about him at some point. Misunderstood.

I enjoyed the Sven years. We actually had some genuine world class players and we went into tournaments feeling like we had a chance. Plus, I had a man crush on Beckham.

He's one of only 3 England managers in my lifetime that could have won a tournament. Look at the shite that's been served up since he left.

Our squad in 2004 was ludicrously good. I'm not sure I'll ever seen an English squad with such quality.

You can add me to the Becks mancrush list too. Hero.

We've won a grand total of 0 knockout games since he left. Not qualified for one tournament, went out in the groups in another.

I'd still take him over Southgate now even though he's done nothing for a decade or more.

And I saw Becks first, I even moved to Manchester for him* and everything.

*Not just for him

Don't think it makes too much difference. They'll beat Georgia.

I can't see how Wales can't get in the playoffs. Unless they lose of course.

They aren't going to beat Belgium

Edit - And Scotland would need to win, and Croatia need to win. Too many things need to happen for Wales not to get a playoff.

Greece aren't out of it in that group (they could leapfrog Bosnia tomorrow if Belgium draw or win and they beat Cyprus away). That would put them on 13 points in the mini-table - with Gibraltar to play which will be irrelevant for that purpose.

Wales probably need to win on Monday. They can't risk drawing.

Italy 1-1 Macedonia

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Fuck off Ventura!

I enjoyed the Sven years. We actually had some genuine world class players and we went into tournaments feeling like we had a chance. Plus, I had a man crush on Beckham.

He's one of only 3 England managers in my lifetime that could have won a tournament. Look at the shite that's been served up since he left.

I was fortunate enough to see England win the world cup. Were we the best team in the competition, probably not.

But we had fantastic team spirit, and a manager in Sir Alf Ramsey who was not afraid to make difficult decisions.

Looks like Iceland will be in Russia next year top of the group with only Kosovo at home to come and Croatia have to go to Ukraine.

You could argue Ramsey lucked out with Greaves getting injured and having to play Hurst.

Like Bobby Robson would never have actually dropped Bryan Robson for David Platt in 1990 if he weren't forced to.

Jimmy Greaves at that time would have still done superbly well. Ramsay lucked out that the replacement was spectacular in the tournament.

Back