• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

Good ball in by Walker and a proper strikers finish from Kane. It wasn't like the Burton goalie for Saiss' goal

I don't disagree with that, but the clearance by the goalkeeper was rather poor in my opinion. He gave the ball straight back to England.

I don't disagree with that, but the clearance by the goalkeeper was rather poor in my opinion. He gave the ball straight back to England.

Yep, and Slovenia should have had a pen too. Could have been very different

Not long got home from Wembley, Southgate is a fraud.

Given the managers job at Middlesbrough without the necessary coaching qualifications, relegated them within 18 months and then became the U21 manager. Inexplicably, finishing bottom of the 2015 Euro's group convinced some philistine at the FA he should be promoted to national team manager because of what exactly?

His substitutions tonight were rancid. After 60 minutes at home to Slovenia he makes a like for like substitution taking off AOC and putting Lingard on and then with five to go he throws on Michael Keane to cling on to that well earned point. That final sub smacked of Jackettism, I think Bristol City away we were chasing the game and he threw Doherty on for the final ten. Leaving Graham on the bench. Speaking of the bench, the fuck was going on with ours?! Two goalkeepers, five defenders and a DM.

We won in spite of the clown. If I were the FA I'd thank him for qualification and bin him off first thing. His post match comments are appalling "we aren't Spain" over the last month Harry Kane is pound for pound one of the best strikers in Europe, several more playing Champions League football. Your job is to instill confidence in your team not point out what they don't have.

Our play was just laboured we weren't aggressive or even try to get behind. Build up to around 25 yards and then look for fouls or pass back to the back four. Rinse and repeat. The one or two times we got behind Rashford chose a much harder chip than just sliding it home and crossing from wide was weak.

If Slovenia had a bit more about them they'd have nicked something today, fortunately they were very poor in the final third, their left winger has the touch of a rapist and confused crossing with "just spanner it as hard as you can" despite getting into good positions.

Regarding individual performances, AOC was a passenger, totally anonymous and amazed it took to 60+ to hook him.
Rashford I thought tried to make things happen not much came off, poor decision making for the 1v1, too cute.
Hart a couple of important saves
Dier reminds me of Price on this showing. Thought he was excellent last summer but just seemed tidy and recycled the ball whilst doing nothing of note.
Kane a few sniffs but didn't take them. Kept going like all good strikers do. Not Diego Costa though.

The rest were much of a muchness.

View from my brothers seat...

View attachment 1906

Looks like he was behind me, tunnel etc to the right on both pictures. Small world!

Upcoming World Cup would usually have me excited but underwhelmed to say the least.
The squad is what you'd say as average but if coached properly could do a lot better than what we are.
Squad selections are so unimaginative or picking the likes of Livermore AOC.
Eventually we'll get a stinker of a qualifying group and fail to qualify. Alarm bells must start to ring at the FA when they see rapidly receding attendances.
As has been said there's no set of fans in the top two divisions who'd want Southgate to manage their club.

Not long got home from Wembley, Southgate is a fraud.

Given the managers job at Middlesbrough without the necessary coaching qualifications, relegated them within 18 months and then became the U21 manager. Inexplicably, finishing bottom of the 2015 Euro's group convinced some philistine at the FA he should be promoted to national team manager because of what exactly?

His substitutions tonight were rancid. After 60 minutes at home to Slovenia he makes a like for like substitution taking off AOC and putting Lingard on and then with five to go he throws on Michael Keane to cling on to that well earned point. That final sub smacked of Jackettism, I think Bristol City away we were chasing the game and he threw Doherty on for the final ten. Leaving Graham on the bench. Speaking of the bench, the $#@! was going on with ours?! Two goalkeepers, five defenders and a DM.

We won in spite of the clown. If I were the FA I'd thank him for qualification and bin him off first thing. His post match comments are appalling "we aren't Spain" over the last month Harry Kane is pound for pound one of the best strikers in Europe, several more playing Champions League football. Your job is to instill confidence in your team not point out what they don't have.

Our play was just laboured we weren't aggressive or even try to get behind. Build up to around 25 yards and then look for fouls or pass back to the back four. Rinse and repeat. The one or two times we got behind Rashford chose a much harder chip than just sliding it home and crossing from wide was weak.

If Slovenia had a bit more about them they'd have nicked something today, fortunately they were very poor in the final third, their left winger has the touch of a rapist and confused crossing with "just spanner it as hard as you can" despite getting into good positions.

Regarding individual performances, AOC was a passenger, totally anonymous and amazed it took to 60+ to hook him.
Rashford I thought tried to make things happen not much came off, poor decision making for the 1v1, too cute.
Hart a couple of important saves
Dier reminds me of Price on this showing. Thought he was excellent last summer but just seemed tidy and recycled the ball whilst doing nothing of note.
Kane a few sniffs but didn't take them. Kept going like all good strikers do. Not Diego Costa though.

The rest were much of a muchness.

Thanks, I think that is concise and accurate.

At least we are there and gives us all something to look forward/dread in the summer.

Argentina on the other hand.....

Argentina are in danger of missing a first World Cup since 1970 after being held to a goalless draw by Peru.

Only the top four in South American qualifying are guaranteed a place at the 2018 tournament in Russia, and Argentina are sixth with one game left.

The two-time World Cup champions must win their final qualifier in Ecuador to claim at least fifth spot which sets up a two-leg play-off against New Zealand.

The final round of games kick-off at 00:30 BST on Wednesday, 11 October.

Argentina, beaten finalists at the 2014 World Cup, are level on both points (25) and goal difference (+1) with fifth-placed Peru, who are ahead on goals scored.

So tight is the group that four points separate Uruguay in second (28) and Paraguay (24) in seventh and a win for Argentina could see them qualify automatically.

However, they have drawn their past three qualifiers and their recent record in Ecuadorian capital Quito, which is 2,900m above sea level, is poor, losing two out of their past three and drawing the other.
Peru are hosting fourth-placed Colombia and should they draw, Argentina would be eliminated if they did not win.

After mentioning it on here, I forgot the game was on last night. Remembered at the start of the 2nd half.

Fucking wanker hoddle.

Team were shite - was walker ordered to get forward then stop & pass backwards?

No movement, too little creativity, no initiative. We didn't need both Dier & Henderson last night if we have 4 at the back.

I care less about international football nowadays.

I'm struggling to think of a worse England side to watch over the last 25 years. It is slow, unimaginative and dull.

As said above, we have some good footballers - Walker, Rose (when fit) Stones, Dier, Alli, Sterling, Rashford, Kane are all good players at clubs who have started well in the Champions League this year. Looking at the squad there isn't a lot to come after that, but getting a cohesive footballing side out of those players shouldn't be too difficult.

The problem is I can't work out what we are trying to do. The biggest change in Wolves for me this season is we have a defined style of play, what we want to do and how we are going to go out and do it. With England I'm not sure what we want to do. Last night we selected Sterling, Ox and Rashford - 3 very quick players - and then played at such a slow pace in negates one of their main attributes, pace.

Genuine question here, what does Southgate do with the players when he has them? I'm not a football coach so I may be wrong, but surely when he has the players all they should be working on is tactics and patterns of play - he isn't going to get Kane, for example, to learn a new skill in the 4 days he has them prior to an international. If he is working on tactics and patterns of play, they are either intentionally dull or the message isn't getting across.

We will not be troubling anybody in Russia, last 16 at best if we get a favourable group.

I watched the first 10 minutes last night, thought 'fuck this' - went out for a curry with my folks, got dropped off at the pub afterwards. Walked in at the 92 minute mark, saw the goal so I missed the vast majority of Southgate's masterclass of entertainment. I said Southgate was a shit, uninspiring appointment at the time and I stand by that. We'll do absolutely nothing in Russia.

I'm really excited about the World Cup - I always am - but I really wish the location and the prospects of my country weren't quite so depressingly bleak.

A World Cup without Holland or Argentina will be very odd but both are struggling massively. Holland in particular have a LOT to do to overtake Sweden.

The Netherlands just have a rancid squad. There should be absolutely no excuse for Argentina. They have the best set of attacking players in the world by an absolute distance and whilst the supporting cast isn't at that level, they shouldn't be struggling to even make the World Cup.

My dad and uncle were sat behind that goal. Heard the cheers from the concourse underneath as they were leaving - idiots :icon_lol:

I was round my Dad's mates. About the only vivid England memory I have. Internationals are poo.

I was in the Royal London. Nearly broke my phone celebrating as it flew out my pocket when I jumped up.

Siemens special?? Just phonebook and messages

EDIT: Actually bet it was 3310 by then

Back