• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

If you are going with the Spurs formation, including 5 Spurs players I'd go with the following to replace the six others.
Lloris - Hart
Alderweireld - Stones
Vertonghen - Gibson (need a left footer)
Dembele - Henderson
Wanyama - Drinkwater
Eriksen - Lallana

Think the 3-4-3 works against Germany but what about when we have the ball a lot as DW says. I think we need a ball playing centre back available to play in midfield, I'd go on Saturday with:

---------------------Hart------------------

--------Keane-----Stones-----Bertrand------

Walker----Drinkwater-----Lallana----Shaw

-----------Alli------------Sterling--------

------------------Vardy------------------

I'd like to have seen Carroll in the squad at least as an alternative and especially if they are weak in the air as I can't see the Lithuanian's allowing us much space in behind. Bertrand and Shaw can switch and cover and give us a left footed balance and Stones can play out from the back and essentially make that extra midfielder when Lallana goes forward.

I think the 343 could work well for England. Wasn't sure before the game tbh. I think the key last night was as DW says Vardy not coming short/getting involved in build-up. Which makes it all a bit pointless. Lots of possession but have to keep going sideways and backwards if there's no space behind the opposition to make runs into, which would give them somewhere to pass/opens up space for them (front 2, wingbacks etc). Also would deffo need 1 defensive and 1 all-rounder in the middle.

Dier would be great as central CB. Bit slow and clunky for the outside I think.

Barkley is a plodder. He'll never be anyone's saviour.

Jinky yours is just a holding-433. Alli will be pulled wide constantly.

Obvious but we just have too many players who are more suited to CAM or CDM but can't play a solid CM role where they have to do it all :(

I don't mind the formation from last night, but I worry about players like Vardy getting in behind teams like Lithuania, who will just sit back and put 11 men behind the ball. Kane is the ideal forward for that role and formation.

However, it could work and Southgate should persist with it for a few games.

The good thing about England playing 3-4-3 is Steve Holland will be fully understanding of the player requirements to make it work.

I don't mind the formation from last night, but I worry about players like Vardy getting in behind teams like Lithuania, who will just sit back and put 11 men behind the ball. Kane is the ideal forward for that role and formation.

However, it could work and Southgate should persist with it for a few games.

Welbz would do well too. Sturridge wouldn't (although I'm not sure he'll actually play for England again)

Massive game for us tonight vs Wales. I'm a lot more nervous than I was a few weeks ago, due to the fact that so many of our big names are out with injuries.

Wales are obviously very strong on paper, with Bale, Allen, Ledley, Robson-Kanu and Vokes all dangerous and able to pop up with a goal from anywhere. Also, Wales will probably go with 5 at the back, which will make it extra difficult for us to break them down, without Hoolahan.

However, we have Hendrick and McCarthy available in midfield, both players who can score from range and it may come down to that, a free-kick or a strike from outside the area to settle it. McGeady and McClean will surely start, with McClean extra emotional due to the death of former teammate Ryan McBride and also his hero, Martin McGuinness, so he can go wither way, he may have a stormer or a stinker.

A draw would be a good result but I think realistically, Wales will win.

I have a feeling Wales might just nick it tonight, Wales are almost in must win territory.
Think it'll be tight with maybe only 1 goal in it.

Bod on the bench for Iceland vs Kosovo, Sig is starting.

Edwards and Doyle on the respective benches in the Ireland vs Wales game. I was going to click the build-up on but Aiki told me just in time that Saunders is doing the punditry so it'll have to wait until kick off.

Nope, the Portugal game is on ITV4 tomorrow so you can see how badly they're lacking a bit of Helder :)

Edwards and Doyle on the respective benches in the Ireland vs Wales game. I was going to click the build-up on but Aiki told me just in time that Saunders is doing the punditry so it'll have to wait until kick off.
The boy wonder has broken the deadlock!

Absolute rubbish so far. Like a bad Championship game. There are a lot of really average (being kind) footballers out there, Ireland having Randolph behind Sloth Keogh and an ancient JOS for a start.

Turned on the TV and the Welsh fans were shouting "DEANO GIVE US WAVE" as he did his shit with Sky. I blame Paddy for this sad outcome.....

Turned on the TV and the Welsh fans were shouting "DEANO GIVE US WAVE" as he did his shit with Sky. I blame Paddy for this sad outcome.....

Fair.

Very surprised at the lack of ambition from Wales, they need to win here, Coleman defaults to this back five (and it is a back five) way too often. Robson-Kanu looks awful and I'm not sure where Bale is supposed to be playing. At least playing Vokes up top gives you a focal point.

Back