• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

Italy trounced 1-1 all by Spain! Spain took the lead after a rare defensive howler from Gigi Buffon, Diego Costa withdrawn before he was sent off then Italy transformed by the introduction of Ciro Immobile and Bellotti win a penalty after a challenge by Sergio Ramos which Daniele De Rossi despatches with aplomb

Mancini linked

Roberto Mancini has reportedly been invited to watch England-Malta at Wembley by the FA, fuelling his links with the job.

According to Sky Sport Italia, the former Inter and Manchester City boss will be in the stands for today’s World Cup qualifier.

It seems he was invited directly by the Football Association, fuelling reports he is in negotiations for the England job.

Sam Allardyce parted company with the FA just weeks after taking over and Gareth Southgate is the caretaker manager.

Mancini is not the only option for England, but he is available after terminating his contract with Inter by mutual consent in August.

We've already been down this road, employing cautious managers does not work with English players. Mancini is about as average a manager I can think of at that level. Time for a change of thinking, maybe a manager with tactical nous would be a start and one with a plan that doesn't include Wayne Rooney.

Mancini's record in the Champions League is horrific, if we're after someone to help us compete at an elite level then he's nothing like the right candidate.

Hart, Cahill, Stones, Walker, Bertrand, Henderson, Rooney, Walcott, Dele, Lingard, Sturridge

Rooney starts then ffs...

Still this should be an easy 4-0 or better win.

Seeing as Southgate said he would yesterday I don't understand the surprise.

I swear Sturridge misses an absolute sitter every single time he plays for England.

Malta playing a 1 - 9 - 1 formation & England finding it hard to break them down

Not a surprise really

Great header by Sturridge was a matter of time really.

Cracking cross from Henderson and finish by Sturridge. Rooney has been terrible, he'd be lucky to play midfield for Malta at this rate, miles too slow with the ball.

Keeper dived way too early, could have walked across and chucked his cap on it.

Henderson has played really well from his deep position, created 3 great chances. Rooney has been pointless, playing way too deep and not doing anything really.

Cracking cross from Henderson and finish by Sturridge. Rooney has been terrible, he'd be lucky to play midfield for Malta at this rate, miles too slow with the ball.

Johnny, I could play in midfield for Malta...!!

Surely Rooney knows that he's finished? He needs a Gary Neville moment

Surely Rooney knows that he's finished? He needs a Gary Neville moment

I think the problem is that he's not as old as players usually are when they decline so its harder for him to admit or believe. Same goes for all the experts that still act as if the last 3/4 years haven't happened, the idea that someone in their late 20s is past it doesn't compute so it just gets put down to bad form or whatever

Back