• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Red Card Effect

LJ, if the referee is being assessed, then it should be brought to his attention he should be taking action against players surrounding him. He should also mark the referee accordingly.

Kicking the ball away should be a mandatory yellow card, but it seems to be one of those things that tends to be overlooked now.

Anyway Gents if I do not get on with the jobs I told the good lady I would do, then I will be getting a red card...!
Fine, bring it to their attention. But the problem persists. They continue to not take action against the players around them.
Ergo, the refs are being advised to improve their performance, but this advice is not being acted upon.
Therefore, the RA should take this to the next step. After all, if my employer advised me to improve my performance and I failed to act upon that advice, I'd be at risk of disciplinary action, or even dismissal on grounds of competency.

I get that the FA don't want to undermine referees, but surely if they're rescinding the red card then the message is that the ref made a mistake. So why restrict the restitution to the red card. Surely the FA should say 'Had the ref seen what we've seen on the replay, Sako would not have been sent off, and the other player would have been booked'. Why can they do the first part but not the second?

I don't see why the referees decision matters. They are important during the game not afterward. Surely it is of the benefit to everyone that the correct decisions are made after the event?

I get that the FA don't want to undermine referees, but surely if they're rescinding the red card then the message is that the ref made a mistake. So why restrict the restitution to the red card. Surely the FA should say 'Had the ref seen what we've seen on the replay, Sako would not have been sent off, and the other player would have been booked'. Why can they do the first part but not the second?

Exactly this, except insert 'banned' for 'booked', otherwise there's no dis-incentive.

Do you recall 'Bloodgate'?

Yep, Tom Williams banned for four months, Dean Richards banned for three years, club physio banned for two years, club doctor hauled before the medical council and a quarter of a million fine for the club, rugby is a sport were they frown heavily on bringing the game into disrepute !

I understand the frustration but what do you want to happen? Replay the game every time there's a contentious decision?

It happens in rugby and Cricket and football already has 2 linesmen 1 ref and a fourth official. 2 reviews per game at the request of the captain any number at the request of the ref. It may add 2 minutes to each game who cares. There is too much at stake for this not to happen. Pathetic that it hasnt happened sooner. As a football fan I just want the decision to be right. Umpires call in cricket works fine so Refs call in football would too. eg=Was he offside, lets have a look ref s call and the ref said no= its easy = no debate. Ok there will be hairline decisions but this is not what most fans are worried about its the howlers and if getting rid of the howlers means we have a few delays that has to be a good thing

Part of an e mail I received today when I queried whether the Watford player should be disciplined.

Personally, and from a moral point of view, I do. However the FA have long maintained that they won't overrule a decision (or non-decision) made by the referee, so if he's seen something and decided to act/not act then there is no retrospective punishment. To do so would undermine every refereeing decision and make decision-by-hindsight the norm in all televised games.

This is from some-one fairly high up in the FA refereeing circles. While we may not agree, it does at least explain why no action will be taken.

'The FA won't overrule a decision made by the referee', but they just have by rescinding the red card.

'To do so would undermine every refereeing decision and make decision-by-hindsight the norm in all televised games.' Its not every decision at all, just a few, and there is nothing wrong with decision-by-hindsight, as the correct decision will be made, as happens in other proper sport with technology, (e.g. Cricket, Rugby etc.).

Wasn't retrospective action taken after a 'decision-by-hindsight' for the Jonny Evans/Papa Cisse spitting incident? I'm sure there are many other examples.

So if this is the policy followed the FA, they are just repeating an outdated mantra that is wrong IMO, and it's high time it changed.

'
I understand the rule but I actually believe this is the FA hiding

The FA are bring the game into disrepute by NOT addressing the cheating that goes on

Time to change the rule and take action for the good of the game

As I said

FA weak as piss

To those blaming the referees and the FA for the current problems in football, may I suggest watching the actions of the players in tonight's champions league game at Stamford Bridge. That is where the problem is in football, not the odd mistakes by match officials.

One was told not to make any calls regarding penalties, he told the Ref to 'fuck off!'

Sorry but I cannot accept that. Any official at level five or higher is expected to give decisions within his patrol path. Like wise any assistant that used abusive language to the referee would soon find himself in hot water.

The official has made the following mistakes tonight

a) sending off Ibrahimovic
b) failing to give a penalty to Chelsea
c) failing to send off Costa for two bookable offences
d) on top of that, failing to give Costa a straight red for raising his hands
e) failing to book Hazard for a blatant dive

The players have massive fault, but this referee has been unbelievably bad.

He has allowed the diving to happen. Should have grabbed control of the game early doors and didn't.

To those blaming the referees and the FA for the current problems in football, may I suggest watching the actions of the players in tonight's champions league game at Stamford Bridge. That is where the problem is in football, not the odd mistakes by match officials.

Disagree

We can watch all the mistakes.....on the replay....

FA choose NOT to take action...they should but they don't

Bringing game into disrepute in my view...bunch of old farts need sacking

I think that rugby will never allow the kind of indiscipline we see from footballers. And one of the reasons is the rugby clubs would not tolerate the petulance and cheating seen on football pitches.

That's because they would lose games if their players were so indisciplined as referee's can enforce the rules in the sure knowledge that they will be supported.

It seems that too many football clubs not only tolerate disrespect of referees and cheating, they actively encourage it.

Why wouldn't they? They are allowed to do it and they gain an advantage from doing so? Zero deterrent and zero punishment when guilty

But why would anyone want to cheat in order to win? Maybe I am being naive here, but surely the only way to win is to win fairly. The behaviour of the players tonight at Stamford Bridge was shameful. We cannot blame the match officials for that.

You do know it's 2015, don't you? It's the modern world. It's shit, but given the rules and the enforcers as good as encourage the behaviour, it ain't going away.

Back