• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Red Card Effect

Thank you for that. I do remember some idea about ear pieces being trialled, but I must admit I was not aware of any goal line technology back then.

These though are technology rather than allowing different associations to actually give referees different powers.

P.S. How did you find Mr Hackett?

The goal line tech was an odd one which used all sorts of things and pertained to stickers on the ball and radio frequencies. It would never had got through but I was impressed the RA and not the FA had pushed for this.

I found Mr Hackett an articulate, intelligent, driven and approachable man whose knowledge was excellent and really wanted to make a difference to the game of football. How much of that was the politician in him I don't know but he struck me as genuine at the time.

It's weird how many people are blaming the ref's for this ridiculous situation. The ref's don't take the field thinking 'how many wrong decisions can I make today'. They go out there to do the best job they can in increasingly difficult circumstances. As they say, to err is human, and I would pillory no one for making a mistake as long as their intentions were good.
Footballers nowadays need an equity card before they can take the field. They are well skilled in the dark arts of perverting the rules of our great game and I've seen many instances both live and on the tele' where I was convinced one thing had happened when the slo-mo proved the truth was the exact opposite. These despicable cheats aren't making a simple, human mistake. The kind we all make every day. No, these events are a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage and they render our game a laughing stock in the eyes of the followers of other sports.
These scumbags, and there are many of them polluting the squads of clubs throughout the leagues, need stamping on hard, and now. They're taking the piss out of, not just the referees, but opposing players and we long suffering fans, who despair of the FA, or FIFA, ever having the balls to eradicate this poison once and for all. You'll never get rid of it by blaming referees for not being perfect. Retrospective six match ban. That'll make the b*$£*%ds mend their evil ways.

Yes, decent post.
You might also address the other important person not making anything of a stand in stamping it out.

If you banned the manager from the ground for every time one of his talented millionaires cheated, the managers would never be there on any matchday and they'd soon sort it out.
Possibly on the grounds that a club gets fined or even (rarely) play the home game behind closed doors for not controlling its fans, then the manager gets banned for not controlling his players.
Disrepute, embarrassment, certainly bringing the game into disrepute.

Yes, decent post.
You might also address the other important person not making anything of a stand in stamping it out.

If you banned the manager from the ground for every time one of his talented millionaires cheated, the managers would never be there on any matchday and they'd soon sort it out.
Possibly on the grounds that a club gets fined or even (rarely) play the home game behind closed doors for not controlling its fans, then the manager gets banned for not controlling his players.
Disrepute, embarrassment, certainly bringing the game into disrepute.

Yep, I agree with all that. Although I guess you thought I would. :)

Football could learn a lot from rugby, particularly in regard to player behaviour. But again I must emphasise that the FA can only act within the rules of FIFA.

I was at a conference yesterday where Brian Moore was a speaker, and he touched on this - his biggest fear for the future of rugby is that player behaviour starts reflecting what we see in football.

I was at a conference yesterday where Brian Moore was a speaker, and he touched on this - his biggest fear for the future of rugby is that player behaviour starts reflecting what we see in football.

Do you recall 'Bloodgate'?

Yup. One instance of cheating, that was heavily punished. Against what we see going unpunished every single week in football.

Yup. One instance of cheating, that was heavily punished. Against what we see going unpunished every single week in football.

Exactly. Quite comical in a perverse sort of way though. I suppose Mr Forestieri's antics were quite comical too......in a perverse sort of way.

The thing is though, no harm came from Forestieri's histrionics. There are many cases where teams have been relegated and cups won and lost by similar diving and play-acting. Hard to see the humour in that.

Part of an e mail I received today when I queried whether the Watford player should be disciplined.

Personally, and from a moral point of view, I do. However the FA have long maintained that they won't overrule a decision (or non-decision) made by the referee, so if he's seen something and decided to act/not act then there is no retrospective punishment. To do so would undermine every refereeing decision and make decision-by-hindsight the norm in all televised games.

This is from some-one fairly high up in the FA refereeing circles. While we may not agree, it does at least explain why no action will be taken.

I think that rugby will never allow the kind of indiscipline we see from footballers. And one of the reasons is the rugby clubs would not tolerate the petulance and cheating seen on football pitches.

Part of an e mail I received today when I queried whether the Watford player should be disciplined.

Personally, and from a moral point of view, I do. However the FA have long maintained that they won't overrule a decision (or non-decision) made by the referee, so if he's seen something and decided to act/not act then there is no retrospective punishment. To do so would undermine every refereeing decision and make decision-by-hindsight the norm in all televised games.

This is from some-one fairly high up in the FA refereeing circles. While we may not agree, it does at least explain why no action will be taken.

I don't think it does explain Frank. The ref obviously didn't see, otherwise he wouldn't have acted as he did. If retrospective punishment does help stamp out this cancer, then any undermining of referees would be minor and short term, and very very worthwhile.

I don't think it does explain Frank. The ref obviously didn't see, otherwise he wouldn't have acted as he did. If retrospective punishment does help stamp out this cancer, then any undermining of referees would be minor and short term, and very very worthwhile.

But the referee told the FA that he did see the incident, even when given the chance to admit he may have been mistaken.

If the ref doesn't see such blatant cuntery then I don't see how a retrospective three match ban for the Argentinian girl would undermine him. The FA wouldn't be undermining his decision as he didn't make one where Forestieri was concerened, he didn't know the cheating fucker was blagging him. Although if he lost three stone he may have been up with the incident.

If the ref doesn't see such blatant $#@!ery then I don't see how a retrospective three match ban for the Argentinian girl would undermine him. The FA wouldn't be undermining his decision as he didn't make one where Forestieri was concerened, he didn't know the cheating $#@!er was blagging him. Although if he lost three stone he may have been up with the incident.

:worshippy:

I work with a couple of referee's, one still plying his trade at the top level in local amateur football, the other, retired now was a League official and was the fourth official when Mick and Roy Keane went head to head at Molineux.
They have both said when working as the Referees assistant they have been told not to make any decisions regarding fouls and just stick to offside and throw in's.

They have both said when working as the Referees assistant they have been told not to make any decisions regarding fouls and just stick to offside and throw in's.

Better than what they do now. Annoying how many times the Assistant waits until the ref indicates which way a throw in is before putting his flag up, despite them standing right by where the ball went out.

One was told not to make any calls regarding penalties, he told the Ref to 'fuck off!'

The thing is, Frank, the referee thought he saw something completely different. He "saw" Sako raise his hands and strike Forestieri in the face.
What ACTUALLY happened was Forestieri conned the referee so that comment does not apply (undermining the referees decision).
He should be able to admit he didn't see the cheating and then it opens the door for the FA to act

I am not evading your question, but until FIFA bring in the required changes, then no individual association has the power to take retrospective action against a player if the referee has seen and acted on the incident.

The Italian FA didn't get that memo.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/3181/adriano-banned-for-diving-to-win-a-penalty.html

http://www.espnfc.com/story/586366/gilardino-banned-for-two-games-for-handball

They're from a few years back admittedly but FIFA haven't changed anything have they?

Back