• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The R.I.P. Thread

Betty Boothroyd, first female Speaker of the House, aged 93

Former France forward Just Fontaine, holder of the record for most goals scored at a World Cup (13 in 6 games) aged 89

Ricou Browning aged 93, film director, stuntman, best known for playing the creature from the black lagoon, also directed the underwater sequence in the James Bond film thunderball

Gary Rossington, aged 71 years. The last surviving member of the original Lynyrd Skynryd line-up.
What a great guitar line up they had. 71 seems so young these days although he's had health issues for a long time.
Freebird isn't a bad legacy to have on your cv

Freebird is (in my humble opinion) the greatest guitar solo of all time. I adore that song.

Freebird is (in my humble opinion) the greatest guitar solo of all time. I adore that song.
It's brilliant, especially live versions, but I rarely listen to it nowadays, I've listened to it so much over the last 50 years (yes it and me are that old) that Ive taken a bit of the shine off it.

On the studio version of Free Bird (which appeared on Skynyrd’s debut album) Allen Collins played the entire solo himself on his Gibson Explorer, with Gary Rossington playing rhythm on his Les Paul ("Bernice" - named after a former girlfriend who gave him the guitar) and adding the slide fills on his SG.

I think Rossington still owned Bernice in an interview I read in a muso geek magazine (probably guitarist) that I read a few years ago. Think she was a 1960 standard so would be worth an absolute fucking fortune with that provenance.

I think Rossington still owned Bernice in an interview I read in a muso geek magazine (probably guitarist) that I read a few years ago. Think she was a 1960 standard so would be worth an absolute fucking fortune with that provenance.
Donated to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

I'm guessing thats a million quid plus guitar. Probably two as 1960 standards go at a million without being famously owned if in great condition.

They are just as valuable. 58, 59, and 60 are all worth insane sums as they were the first Gibson sunburst finishes and the pickups just sang in those years. Main difference between a 58, 59 and a 60 is the neck profile. So a players personal favourite is dependent on the size of their hands. 60 is a bit thinner, and 58 is chunky as fuck. 59 is somewhere inbetween

THAT. IS. MAGNIFICENT.

The firebird is a lovely little Gibson. Not as cool as a Les Paul, Explorer or SG but they are fun guitars to play.

Back