• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The R.I.P. Thread

I continually am surprised by how old people are. I guess that's an age denial thing. Raquel Welch has always been 30 odd years older than me, but when you say she was 82, I'm shocked.

I remember her in Fantastic Voyage.

Her son married Fred Truman's daughter IIRC.

I used to deliver his newpapers when I was a kid.
Lived in Ashton on Mersey. Nice big house on an estate.
Front lawn came right down to the footpath. No fence,
That was a bit posh back then.

Reading on Twitter that John Motson has passed away.
Love him or loathe him, his voice will always be a part of the game.

I've always been a Barry Davies man. Motson went on a good 15-20 years past his sell by, but then that's on his employers for not recognising that. His commentary in the 2002 World Cup was plain bizarre, continually going on about people eating lunch and smashing plates. I think we've watched football at around midday before, John.

Definitely iconic, it was of course the era where there were few live games on and so he was there for all the big moments. Could never deny he loved the game and what he did.

Also did all the early FIFA games from around 1996 on.

Sad news. RIP Motty. On the airwaves throughout my whole life and another legendary part of the game I knew growing up, gone.

Loved Motty. Was part of growing up. Shame being kept on too long dented his legacy.

A relative of mine was Ents manager at Jesus College years ago and just after Italia 90 asked Motty to do a talk and Q and A. Motty just asked for his petrol to be paid and that was that. Just loved talking football and it was a great night.

Things might’ve changed over the years with booking agents etc but you can only call it as you see it and he seemed one of the good guys.

Blimey, Dickie Davies, Motty, we must be getting old.

RIP Motty.

Amazed he got to 77 with his lifestyle. Literally had a minder in 2010 to keep him out of South African brothels. Also very unpleasant to staff. Adios 'Motty'.

Back