• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The official TWF Kenny Jackett IN/OUT thread

IN or OUT

• Total voters
I think we are a very attractive proposition for two types of manager - those that need an opportunity to repair their reputation and those who are looking to make a reputation. Most of the names on here would probably wonder what they could achieve at Wolves given the chance but what they could achieve is going to based on what sort of investment might be available which in turn is likely to be determined by the new owners whenever that might be. Wolves are a big club, that isn't a hark back to days gone by that is just how it is. A 30000 plus stadium, state of the art training facilities, a significant fan base, solid finances....we are punching below our weight at the moment. The opportunities for a manager are there if they can turn potential into reality.

+1

I haven't voted yet.

I've been wavering on KJ for a while. Tactically I think there have been too many times he's been caught out, or not had a plan b. As has been mentioned, certain games in league 1 we won because of poor finishing by the opposition, not because of KJ.

He's also made questionable signings (accepting of course that he has final say). The main example would be Leon, but Holt can be included in that category. An over focus on central midfielders who don't improve the team (remember Micks time?). I'm also concerned at issues like not playing Byrne (I think when he's played he's looked good, and positive).

Up until this season, there have been more positives than negatives - like the january-june run last season. That said, would the front 3 have played had KJs arm not been twisted a bit? We'll never know.

This season though, has been an anomaly. Repeatedly signing centre mids, baffling team selections, the chopping & changing (see the goalkeeping situation). KJ has made a rod for his own back with some very poor decisions - players out of position, or out of form being preferred. Good players on the bench or not even in the 18. No manager in a good place averages 3 personnel changes per match.

We have a squad better than our current league position. We have a manager who can do better, but for some unknown reason, is really fucking everything up at the moment.

On the possibles - Rowett, I'm not such a fan. I think he's done really well at blues, but I think he had a spell similar to KJ is having now last year. He came in & took over from clarke, went on a brilliant run, but then there was a big barren patch. They have started ok this year though. I'm also doubtful he'd come. He has an attachment to blues, having played for them.
JFH - he's been a manager for 12 months. Personally, I think it could be a step too far too soon.
Cook - were he not an ex-player, I don't believe he'd be linked/considered. Achieved too little for consideration at this time.
Pearson - the only one who has achieved anything, but is a mentalist.

I genuinely don't think there is better out there, despite having significant concerns.

I guess my preferred option is sit KJ down, establish what has caused the monumental fuck up to the start of the season, slap his face a la airplane to sort it out, let him know it is last chance saloon, and get back to basics, with Thelwell etc doing everything they can to bring in 1 absolute quality wide player to complement our attack.

I haven't voted yet.

I've been wavering on KJ for a while. Tactically I think there have been too many times he's been caught out, or not had a plan b. As has been mentioned, certain games in league 1 we won because of poor finishing by the opposition, not because of KJ.

He's also made questionable signings (accepting of course that he has final say). The main example would be Leon, but Holt can be included in that category. An over focus on central midfielders who don't improve the team (remember Micks time?). I'm also concerned at issues like not playing Byrne (I think when he's played he's looked good, and positive).

Up until this season, there have been more positives than negatives - like the january-june run last season. That said, would the front 3 have played had KJs arm not been twisted a bit? We'll never know.

This season though, has been an anomaly. Repeatedly signing centre mids, baffling team selections, the chopping & changing (see the goalkeeping situation). KJ has made a rod for his own back with some very poor decisions - players out of position, or out of form being preferred. Good players on the bench or not even in the 18. No manager in a good place averages 3 personnel changes per match.

We have a squad better than our current league position. We have a manager who can do better, but for some unknown reason, is really fucking everything up at the moment.

On the possibles - Rowett, I'm not such a fan. I think he's done really well at blues, but I think he had a spell similar to KJ is having now last year. He came in & took over from clarke, went on a brilliant run, but then there was a big barren patch. They have started ok this year though. I'm also doubtful he'd come. He has an attachment to blues, having played for them.
JFH - he's been a manager for 12 months. Personally, I think it could be a step too far too soon.
Cook - were he not an ex-player, I don't believe he'd be linked/considered. Achieved too little for consideration at this time.
Pearson - the only one who has achieved anything, but is a mentalist.

I genuinely don't think there is better out there, despite having significant concerns.

I guess my preferred option is sit KJ down, establish what has caused the monumental fuck up to the start of the season, slap his face a la airplane to sort it out, let him know it is last chance saloon, and get back to basics, with Thelwell etc doing everything they can to bring in 1 absolute quality wide player to complement our attack.

good post, although I'd take Pearson tomorrow, whatever people think of him.

Has the idea that, Kenny Jackett doesn't want to be here anymore, crossed anyone's mind?

Not saying for a second this is the case (I certainly don't think it), but could it be a valid argument?

As much as it does pain me, he's gotta go, too many bewildering decisions recently, we're into November now and he still doesn't know his best team/formation. I love him for what he did when he came in and even last season but he appears to be undoing all his hard work and it's a shame. Much like Mick, I'd like to remember him for the promotion and good football we played, not the baffling decisions, we waited too long to sack Mick, can we afford to make the same mistake with KJ?

Has the idea that, Kenny Jackett doesn't want to be here anymore, crossed anyone's mind?

Not saying for a second this is the case (I certainly don't think it), but could it be a valid argument?

If KJ thinks he has done all he can or has had enough, I reckon he would walk rather than plod on.

On this and the other thread some people appear to believe that Rowett, Cook, Hasselbaink, Warburton, and so on would jump at the chance to join Wolves, with comments such as "better chance of getting to the Prem" and other such gems. It's the "wim a big club" mentality that I can't stand because right now we really aren't. Given all the problems at board, recruitment and player level I can't see how some of them will leave a place where they have a good thing going to come here and preside over what may well be a season that peters out.

As for your last point, sadly some are rushing to get rid of him. Hence the thread in the first place.

It's absolutely nothing to do with that kind of mentality. I've explained why I think we could get Rowett (my choice), it's not exactly a post teeming with arrogance and entitlement, at least I don't think so. Every manager doesn't think in binary, "Blues are above Wolves so it would be a step down", any cursory look at both clubs' off-field state would prove that to be a load of nonsense. Dougie Freedman played for Palace and left them for Bolton despite Palace being in the top six at the time, so it happens. It's hardly the wildest idea in the world that Rowett might look at Wolves as a better medium to long term prospect IF we approached him.

And to turn it around, suggesting we couldn't possibly attract Portsmouth's manager is ridiculously skewed the other way, maybe we should lower our sights to Sporting Khalsa's manager?

I voted "IN" because of the club being in its current state of flux, and the question of who hires the new manager with Morgan showing no interest

Too unstable a time to sack the manager

I think you've missed my point somewhat.
How is the vocal minority going to truly represent how fans as a whole feel?
And positive effect. Really?

As a large section were singing 'You don't know what your doing', when Doherty came on, I guess it will only get worse from here unless we go on a good run, which is doubtful.

Out of the 12 of us that went on Tuesday, of which 9 go to pretty much every away game, only 1 was of the opinion that Jacket should be kept.

As a large section were singing 'You don't know what your doing', when Doherty came on, I guess it will only get worse from here unless we go on a good run, which is doubtful.

Out of the 12 of us that went on Tuesday, of which 9 go to pretty much every away game, only 1 was of the opinion that Jacket should be kept.
I would have been with them.

i think if you lose the away fans then there's definite trouble. I wouldn't say that any group represents how the whole fanbase feels. That was my original point to LordKnows.

I would have been with them.

i think if you lose the away fans then there's definite trouble. I wouldn't say that any group represents how the whole fanbase feels. That was my original point to LordKnows.

Our following on the 21st could be very telling.

We rarely take that many to Ipswich (although we've played them in midweek quite a lot), principally because it's bloody miles away. I wouldn't say it's going to be that telling, we aren't playing very well and it's not a very desirable fixture. If we were top of the league it'd be different, but that applies to every single club in the country.

We'll be lucky to get 20000 on Saturday, so you couldn't blame people for staying away for a trip to East Anglia.

We'll be lucky to get 20000 on Saturday, so you couldn't blame people for staying away for a trip to East Anglia.

No, I certainly wouldn't blame them, but there are a lot of regular away followers that aren't going, which isn't down to distance or protest. I guess they may decided differently a bit closer to the time.

Back