• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

That's a good trade. Watson is going to cost the Browns a fortune.

What a shame
Myles Garrett earns a lot of money, he won't end his NFL career poorer, but as imo the best DE in the league he's going to miss out on any rings because of who he plays for. Won't be the first, won't be the last, but it's sad. If you look at the special teams field goal block he did on Sunday it's other worldly for a man of his size.

Myles Garrett earns a lot of money, he won't end his NFL career poorer, but as imo the best DE in the league he's going to miss out on any rings because of who he plays for. Won't be the first, won't be the last, but it's sad. If you look at the special teams field goal block he did on Sunday it's other worldly for a man of his size.
I wonder if the league are going to stop that. It's some standing jump.

I don't really feel sorry for players making those choices. If he wanted a ring he'd ask for a trade.

I wonder if the league are going to stop that. It's some standing jump.

I don't really feel sorry for players making those choices. If he wanted a ring he'd ask for a trade.
Don't think he's tradeable cap wise. Didn't have to sign the new contract though I grant you.

I don't have an issue with the play, but after it happening 2 weeks in a row it suddenly changes the dynamic of what's required of the long snapper.

Yeah Tony’s right, you hit a certain level of salary and it narrows the trade field considerably. Especially as I would imagine Cleveland wouldn’t want to pay any of his salary should he go.

Tbf to Myles he seems like he’s really connected to the area. I can respect that. Clevelanders deserve so much better, even if the organization itself doesn’t.

So, he couldn't make it as a RB, but the Jags with their UK situation are now trying to turn him into a WR. Not a hope at his age you are going to teach him how to run routes at an NFL level from zero base. Pretty cynical of them. I've no idea if he was any good at rugby union, but if he was he should go back to it ASAP. I assume circa £190k pa isn't unachievable in that sport?

Hopefully it’s something he actually wants to do. Definitely no hope if he’s just trying for the payday.

It is cynical as fuck though; probably quite a few unemployed or practice squad receivers who that money would be better spent on.

So, he couldn't make it as a RB, but the Jags with their UK situation are now trying to turn him into a WR. Not a hope at his age you are going to teach him how to run routes at an NFL level from zero base. Pretty cynical of them. I've no idea if he was any good at rugby union, but if he was he should go back to it ASAP. I assume circa £190k pa isn't unachievable in that sport?

He was always the wrong shape to be a RB. Not nearly enough bulk and the wrong running style. His gait is too long

He's an excellent rugby player, one of the best in the world and the set play training in rugby is very similar to American football now.

There are plenty of instances of college basketball players transitioning over to the NFL at tight ends and wide receiver.

Route running isn't particularly difficult it's the technique of catching under pressure that is. LRZ has excellent size, hands and speed for a slot receiver and the wheels to go deep.

For his rugby he was at his best when running from deep and reading the high ball so I think a FS or corner would actually be his best position.

And he should certainly be on any return squad.

Hopefully it’s something he actually wants to do. Definitely no hope if he’s just trying for the payday.

It is cynical as fuck though; probably quite a few unemployed or practice squad receivers who that money would be better spent on.
I don't think it's cynical at all. There's a good article on the BBC and ESPN websites on why he quit rugby to join the pathway and it is because he really wants to do it.

Cynical or not he is a world class athlete who has played at the top level of sport so he's not going to crumble under mental pressure and has shown he's got the physical characteristics to do well in a highly explosive sport.

I don't think it's cynical at all. There's a good article on the BBC and ESPN websites on why he quit rugby to join the pathway and it is because he really wants to do it.

Cynical or not he is a world class athlete who has played at the top level of sport so he's not going to crumble under mental pressure and has shown he's got the physical characteristics to do well in a highly explosive sport.
Fair enough! Will say I think “route running isn’t that difficult” would be a very contentious statement!

Wes Welker built his career on it. Well, that and Tom Brady.

Fair enough! Will say I think “route running isn’t that difficult” would be a very contentious statement!

Wes Welker built his career on it. Well, that and Tom Brady.
I may have downplayed that a bit as I know the best route runners have the best timing too and that takes practice.

I was getting at LRZ has all the physical traits already including the catching technique which under pressure has to be the most important bit.

Route running is repetition.

I mean, that last sentence is nonsense, because if it was the case every WR would be a great route runner, and they absolutely are not. In fact, really, really good route runners are few and far between. They all run routes, yeah, but a lot of them are not all that good at it.

I mean, that last sentence is nonsense, because if it was the case every WR would be a great route runner, and they absolutely are not. In fact, really, really good route runners are few and far between. They all run routes, yeah, but a lot of them are not all that good at it.
It isn't nonsense at all but you do you.

I do tend to think you may be oversimplifying. Don’t/can’t disagree with your point on LRZ himself.

Complicated old game innit

I do tend to think you may be oversimplifying. Don’t/can’t disagree with your point on LRZ himself.

Complicated old game innit
I guess the difficulty is players learning new play books and the chemistry with the QB.

Then there's the running of the route with a corner draped all over the WR and a safety ready to squash them and that's all before the ball arrives in the WR's hands which may or may not be perfect.

The route itself is probably the easiest bit to do unnaposed. But with corners...

Getting separation looks incredibly difficult at NFL level in comparison to college level.

Also got to remember LRZ is only 23 so of normal draft age. Like all receivers it'll take time to get up to speed

You’ve nailed it there, ay. I can bet you good money that most 3rd down passing plays that come up a yard short do so because the receiver gets the initial contact out of the snap and loses sense of where they are (or they haven’t learned to gauge their stride, either way). Then a route that’s supposed to break at 10 yards breaks at 9. Just as an example.

Then there are the much finer nuances. I think it was Darrell Revis who said he could figure out the route a player was going to try to run just based on their pre-snap stance. 4D chess, that is. Takes a ton of film study and good instincts though.

Back