• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Plastic pitch in a covered dome, yuk!
Many owners argue that the turf is necessitated by how often some of these fields are used. Some franchises share their stadium with nearby colleges, others (like AT&T) will host special event games or concerts. Others are in a climate that can't really support healthy grass.

Things are moving toward natural, it seems, but it's unfortunately more complex than "grass good, turf bad".

FWIW, "turf" used to be practically tennis court material. In some old highlights you can tell quite easily that the players' cleats lack any spikes at all! Can only imagine how awful that must have been to play on.

Just not right for me, field sport at the highest level should be played on proper turf and open to the elements.
While you’re here Alan, why do fans of NFL wear chains round their necks that look like they could have been made for the Titanic?

Just not right for me, field sport at the highest level should be played on proper turf and open to the elements.
While you’re here Alan, why do fans of NFL wear chains round their necks that look like they could have been made for the Titanic?
Cuz they're big strong manly men ;)

Y'all have songs and we have, uh, props.

Many owners argue that the turf is necessitated by how often some of these fields are used. Some franchises share their stadium with nearby colleges, others (like AT&T) will host special event games or concerts. Others are in a climate that can't really support healthy grass.

Things are moving toward natural, it seems, but it's unfortunately more complex than "grass good, turf bad".

FWIW, "turf" used to be practically tennis court material. In some old highlights you can tell quite easily that the players' cleats lack any spikes at all! Can only imagine how awful that must have been to play on.
The Meadowlands turf is a disgrace, takes 7 or 8 cruciates or achilles a season. The old turf you are referring to were the same as the plastic pitches QPR, Luton and Preston used to have

Last edited:
The Meadowlands turf is a disgrace, takes 7 or 8 cruciates or achilles a season. The old turf you are referring to were the same as the plastic pitched QPR, Luton and Preston used to have
Can scarcely imagine football being played on that sort of pitch! The ball must have bounced like mad.

Unfortunately the owners tend to have full rights over the stadium over here (not sure if that's different to there tbf) and most will take any opportunity to get some extra cash by renting it for other uses. Shoot, CLTFC had that one match postponed last season because Beyonce was playing at BofA and her show takes something like 2 weeks either side to set up and tear down.

Can scarcely imagine football being played on that sort of pitch! The ball must have bounced like mad.

Unfortunately the owners tend to have full rights over the stadium over here (not sure if that's different to there tbf) and most will take any opportunity to get some extra cash by renting it for other uses. Shoot, CLTFC had that one match postponed last season because Beyonce was playing at BofA and her show takes something like 2 weeks either side to set up and tear down.
Very big for grassroots teams over here now, more and more are getting it done and getting grants for doing so because of the local community benefits. I don't have a particular view on it NFL wise other than the one in New Jersey, which claimed another ACL last week.

20 - Zip! Jerry Jones turning his back on things kinda sums it up.

That missed extra point though, inconsequential now but who knows later on.

What is happening to Dallas is hilarious.

Just hearing the two numpties on Comms trying to tell the audience Dallas may be in with a chance is very funny.

Green Bay have been fantastic.

What is happening to Dallas is hilarious.

Just hearing the two numpties on Comms trying to tell the audience Dallas may be in with a chance is very funny.

Green Bay have been fantastic.
I like Olsen on comms normally, but clearly getting direction from up top to keep viewers

If they'd shown some semblance of being able to stop Green Bay then there'd be a chance with the best offence in the league. However as they've currently yet to show that they can then it should be insurmountable.

Also annoying as there's yet to be a competitive game so far (I stayed up last night) and I've just knocked my glass of gin over meaning I'm currently dry.

And Game over! Fuck knows where the Dallas secondary was there.

If they'd shown some semblance of being able to stop Green Bay then there'd be a chance with the best offence in the league. However as they've currently yet to show that they can then it should be insurmountable.

Also annoying as there's yet to be a competitive game so far (I stayed up last night) and I've just knocked my glass of gin over meaning I'm currently dry.

And Game over! Fuck knows where the Dallas secondary was there.
I'll be going to bed, but the next game would have been my pick of the weekend

Back