• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Oh is it that tour? Sounds good to me.

I remember seeing it advertised ages ago and then forgot all about it until it was mentioned on the radio earlier. Saw them years ago in Wolverhampton when the singer was sick on stage part way through but battled on.

They're fantastic live.

They are excellent live. I saw them at Rock City and they were fabulous.

So my instinct was to go for Grr! first. Not sure why, but so it was...

Particular standouts on this disc were Wolf Alice, Thee Oh Sees, Fuzz, and especially Spectres, like a delightful blend of early beta Band with psyche Spiritualized.

Oh! was quite interesting. Again the especial faves were Tame Impala (magic opening track that!), Froth, Ultimate painting, Victories at Sea, and Speedy Ortiz.

very interesting having the 2 cds. Both were quite different. Grr! was a more consistent listen, very similar themes as well as styles throughout. A strong collection, as was easy to pop the cd on & allow it to flow for its full length. There wasn't a track I disliked tbh.

Oh was a lot more varied, almost incoherent at times, definitely more a drunken stagger than the straight march of Grr! That said, there was more contrast on this disc, & I feel a bit that the tracks I liked off this disc got more of a reaction, probably owing to this contrast.

Grr! is more steady. Oh! had the higher peaks.

thanks LJ, interesting comments. obv my hands were tied on the song split so all the noisy went one way and as a result the Oh album has a wider range.

i like all the tracks on both Cds but have my favourites which probably favour Grr! even discounting Scarlette (originally released 2000). On Oh my favourites are prob the girls names, froth, shilpa ray, speedy ortiz, royal headache and maybe the telegram and grooms math rock. the 3 tracks I picked for the year were 1. tropical trash 2. froth 3. autobahn. the ought and spectres tracks v close. i thought that spectres track would be no 1 when i first heard it - a bit of Liars in there as well - so good.

Off to see Maximo Park with my daughter at the Birmingham Institute tomorrow night.
Used to love them. Remember seeing them at the Civic when Paul Smith was that ill he kept running off stage to throw up.

Just stumbled across The Arcs, Dan from The Black Keys side project. Almost prefer them to The Black Keys!

thanks LJ, interesting comments. obv my hands were tied on the song split so all the noisy went one way and as a result the Oh album has a wider range.

i like all the tracks on both Cds but have my favourites which probably favour Grr! even discounting Scarlette (originally released 2000). On Oh my favourites are prob the girls names, froth, shilpa ray, speedy ortiz, royal headache and maybe the telegram and grooms math rock. the 3 tracks I picked for the year were 1. tropical trash 2. froth 3. autobahn. the ought and spectres tracks v close. i thought that spectres track would be no 1 when i first heard it - a bit of Liars in there as well - so good.

You're welcome mate, and thanks for sharing! :)

Looking forward to their new album, which will be out on the same day as the new Underworld album.

registered about 150 records today. found that my version of nevermind seems to be a first issue, £63 on my max value list and 3rd place so far. got a bit bored of it by the end to be honest. it's like top trumps but not as exciting. only about another 300 or so to go.

Dont forget to take into consideration the condition, especially if you decide to sell on discogs.
Over the last 5 years ive found some incredibly anal people on there.
I always knock the condition down a notch even if its mint.
Ive had folks moan about a 1cm surface crack on a fucking Jewel case once!
Oh and if you do list something rare then be prepared to be badgered for the first few days from folks
who have it on their "wants" list.

2-kinks.jpg

This is just stunning. She's not getting any younger but her sheer talent hasn't faded whatsoever.

Yep fantastic voice still. Carole King was going apeshit. No wonder really as she wrote it! It must have been great for her to hear a legend like Aretha belting it out.

I'm a big fan of Carole King stuff in general actually. She wrote some brilliant stuff over the years.

I have two tickets to Massive Attack at Brixton Academy on Thursday Feb 4th that I can no longer use. If anyone's interested you can have them for face value (I think they were around £45 but I'll need to check with my wife).
If not, I'll stick them up on one of the resale sites.

Steve Masons new album is out late February. Should be worth a listen.

Back