• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Oldies Unlimited in Wolves. Opposite Beatties on Darlington Street.

My dad's got a bunch of old vinyls that he's going to get rid of and was wondering if there's anywhere he could take them, independant music shop or something i guess, and see if he can get anything for them rather than just chuck them away. Any suggestions?

First check the condition (vinyl, sleeve (spine etc)) and then check Discogs.com for relevant catalogue numbers to see what stuff is generally up for..(or if you make an account you can see what its sold for, which is a better indicator and in what condition....same with ebay, check completed listings)
Shops wont give you what you can get by selling them youself (as with most things)
BUT (some) record buyers are misreable picky bastards (i know) and if you dont grade the item exactly they will soon let ya know...same goes for packing the records well.....Ive even put a few minutes recording of the records ive sold just so they know what they are getting...crackles and pops galore.

My dad's got a bunch of old vinyls that he's going to get rid of and was wondering if there's anywhere he could take them, independant music shop or something i guess, and see if he can get anything for them rather than just chuck them away. Any suggestions?
How many & what does he have?

He'd definitely be better off doing a bit of research first, as mentioned above.

First check the condition (vinyl, sleeve (spine etc)) and then check Discogs.com for relevant catalogue numbers to see what stuff is generally up for..(or if you make an account you can see what its sold for, which is a better indicator and in what condition....same with ebay, check completed listings)
Shops wont give you what you can get by selling them youself (as with most things)
BUT (some) record buyers are misreable picky bastards (i know) and if you dont grade the item exactly they will soon let ya know...same goes for packing the records well.....Ive even put a few minutes recording of the records ive sold just so they know what they are getting...crackles and pops galore.

All sounds a bit labour intensive, don't think he's really that fussed about getting the best possible price but anything is better than just chucking them away down the tip.

How many & what does he have?

He'd definitely be better off doing a bit of research first, as mentioned above.

No idea, can't be a massive collection as i was never even aware he had any old records knocking around until yesterday and it's really not that big of a house to hide them in, as above, don't think he's really that bothered but if he can get anything for them by putting in a bit more effort than a drive to the tip then he's all for it.

All sounds a bit labour intensive, don't think he's really that fussed about getting the best possible price but anything is better than just chucking them away down the tip.

No idea, can't be a massive collection as i was never even aware he had any old records knocking around until yesterday and it's really not that big of a house to hide them in, as above, don't think he's really that bothered but if he can get anything for them by putting in a bit more effort than a drive to the tip then he's all for it.

what's he got though? any particular type of music in there?

Loved the Foxygen lp this year.....reminded me that XTC should don their DOS alterego one more time.
Also that track Teenage Exorcists by Mogwai.....do more of that $#@! please.
Big Crux - Ponchito LP
Secret Prostitutes lp
Give - ELectric Flower Circus LP
Hank Wood - Stay Home lp
Number ones - #1's lp
Lost Tribe - Solace lp
Total Control - typical system lp

ta, i'll check these out when I get the chance. too late for my cd though!

what's he got though? any particular type of music in there?

I don't know, he just wandered in last night asking if i knew anywhere that would buy old records, think he and his brother both went to a fair few gigs in their younger days, Led Zeppelin, T Rex, that sort of stuff i think so i'd assume any records he's got left knocking around are probably of similar ilk.

Ask him to email a list of stuff you can C&P onto here (that'll save you the effort of having to type it yerself!)

He's only at home one day this week, up in lovely Skelmersdale all but Wednesday, so doubt he'll make the effort, can't see him bothering to sort through and catalogue it at any point to be honest, he'll probably just take it along to one of the afformentioned shops in a big box and see what they offer.

If he decides not to sell - always a depressing experience - he could at least take them to a charity shop rather than the tip. Might as well do some good.

I'm worryingly reading through people's albums of 2014 on various other sites and not knowing most of them.

I'm either not in touch as much as I used to be, or people are making these albums and bands up.

AC/DC gig at Wembley stadium announced for 4th July...

BTW - Rock or Bust is a pretty damn decent AC/DC album. Will never be a patch on the Bon Scott stuff or Back in Black, but certainly up there with say, the Razors Edge or Black Ice as the best stuff since.

I'll venture into getting it if no-one gets it me for christmas.

I have a friend who is a really good mate of Stevie Young. However, we don't ask for info. Haven't seen them since 1991. May look into a ticket from somewhere.

I would definitely pick it up. Not a huge fan of the Brian Johnson stuff really (bar Back in Black obviously). He sounds like Donald Duck.

For Those About to Rock is a decent album. Flick of the Switch and Fly on the Wall are pretty poor. Who Made Who has a decent title track and that's it. Blow up Your Video is dire. The Razor's Edge is cracking stuff. I like the title track and Hail Ceasar from Ballbreaker. Black Ice - pretty good. Rock or Bust is up there with their best output post- Back in Black.

Been offered a free ticket for the XFM Winter Wonderland gig at Brixton tonight... but was going to put my Christmas tree up... decisions decisions.
the lineup is:

Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls
Billy Bragg
The Horrors
Catfish & The Bottlemen
To Kill A King
Billy The Kid
Royal Blood

I'd go. Been to the one in Manchester before a few years ago.

Back