• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

What's the legal status of footballers, are they contractors or FTC or something else entirely?

Vio Ganea was miles out of favour, basically called Hoddle a cunt while he was under contract, had mere weeks to go on his deal then nutted Kev O'Connor.

Did we sack him, no, because it doesn't happen.

Just in case you think I'm making it up.

March/April 2006 and his contract ended in June 2006. Didn't play a single minute for us after 11 February 2006 (17 mins vs Crewe). Final start was on 28 December 2005 at Sheff Wed.

So why wouldn't we sack him if it were so easy for football clubs to rip up deals if they hit a colleague or slag off their direct manager in public? It's a player we knew was never going to play for us again, was leaving anyway very soon, had a value of £0 to Wolves and was obviously bang to rights. The answer is it isn't very easy so it more or less never happens.

It probably qualified for gross misconduct but I'm assuming the club thought they might wait and see if they could get a small fee for him in January.

Vio Ganea was miles out of favour, basically called Hoddle a cunt while he was under contract, had mere weeks to go on his deal then nutted Kev O'Connor.

Did we sack him, no, because it doesn't happen.
Well it does happen, Bosnich was sacked, Mutu, more recently you have Anelka at Albion, Boateng was sacked by Schalke, Osvaldo at Southampton, Evra for attacking a fan at Marseille.

Oh and going back again, Wise got sacked for lamping Callum Davidson.

It does happen.

I just think in the instance of Jonny we've either said we'll help him find a new club, but he'll never play for us again, or if we can't find him a club we'll cancel his contract, which is sacking him.

Bosnich and Mutu were drug offences which meant they literally couldn't play for anyone.

It probably qualified for gross misconduct but I'm assuming the club thought they might wait and see if they could get a small fee for him in January.
Yep, when you read Hobb's comments about Jonny it seems like it is his previous legacy and behaviour that has been considered.

Didn't Leicester sack Denis Wise for a training ground bust up and ending up having to reinstate him after losing their case at an industrial tribunal?
Not sure on the outcome of the court case, but as we know Wise was/is a cunt on Barton levels, he punched Davidson whilst he was in his bed.

Just in case you think I'm making it up.

March/April 2006 and his contract ended in June 2006. Didn't play a single minute for us after 11 February 2006 (17 mins vs Crewe). Final start was on 28 December 2005 at Sheff Wed.

So why wouldn't we sack him if it were so easy for football clubs to rip up deals if they hit a colleague or slag off their direct manager in public? It's a player we knew was never going to play for us again, was leaving anyway very soon, had a value of £0 to Wolves and was obviously bang to rights. The answer is it isn't very easy so it more or less never happens.
No idea why we didn't get shot of Ganea though, maybe we thought we could get a small fee, or maybe, more likely, they agreed with him that Hoddle was a cunt so it didn't feel right.

No idea why we didn't get shot of Ganea though, maybe we thought we could get a small fee, or maybe, more likely, they agreed with him that Hoddle was a cunt so it didn't feel right.
We couldn't get a fee mate, it was March 2006 at best, transfer windows closed everywhere and out of contract in mere weeks.

Legally it must be so hard to do. Football just doesn't work on normal rules does it, imagine hiring someone like Guedes and he performs like that in a normal job!

We couldn't get a fee mate, it was March 2006 at best, transfer windows closed everywhere and out of contract in mere weeks.

Legally it must be so hard to do. Football just doesn't work on normal rules does it, imagine hiring someone like Guedes and he performs like that in a normal job!
Yeah I know it's totally different to the normal world, but surely kicking a TV in and smashing a youth player could have seen him gone following an investigation.

The club more than likely don't want the headache of all that though.

Yeah I know it's totally different to the normal world, but surely kicking a TV in and smashing a youth player could have seen him gone following an investigation.

The club more than likely don't want the headache of all that though.
He didn't smash a youth player, the player smashed him, he swung an elbow which didn't connect. If you are doing him for assault then it's the spitting at the coaching staff

Not sure on the outcome of the court case, but as we know Wise was/is a cunt on Barton levels, he punched Davidson whilst he was in his bed.

"Dennis Wise is set to be awarded a £2 million payout after winning his appeal against wrongful dismissal by Leicester City in the summer of 2002".

Not reinstated. However...

He didn't smash a youth player, the player smashed him, he swung an elbow which didn't connect. If you are doing him for assault then it's the spitting at the coaching staff
He elbowed Chirewa, I forgot about the spitting to be honest.

Back