• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

It's not that unrealistic to be talking about Europe, a few less shitty VAR calls and we'd be right in the mix.

That's incredibly simplistic, any player we sign isn't worth £0 it's an asset.
You were the one who bought prize money in as an argument for financial sense, not me.

Plenty of players end up as worthless assets, which in fact makes them a burden when you factor in wages too, list of them a club right now seems to be steadily building.

It's not that unrealistic to be talking about Europe, a few less shitty VAR calls and we'd be right in the mix.
Yeah but we can't rewind the last five months and undo them.

If you think we're going to finish above all of Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea and Brighton then you may be interested in some magic beans I have for sale.

I think we could finish above Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle and Chelsea, yes. They're inconsistent, even United are catchable, especially if they keep Ten Hag

With a couple of good signings, better VAR decisions over the remainder of the season and if Neto continues his pre injury form, Cunha, Hwang, Kilman, Gomes continue their consistently good form, it's possible.

However the TWF luminaries have decided we shouldn't bother ourselves and instead have started to ridicule me for even suggesting it, so we'll leave it at that.

Alright precious.

If you were pricing it up as a bookie you might give odds of 33/1 I reckon, that with factoring in being a skinflint and not wanting to get into paying out a load when 80% of TWF snaffle the offer as we're "1 point off"*. Realistically it's probably a 50/1 shot or longer.

So possible but unlikely. Also unlikely any transfer business within our constraints would change the odds markedly.

*We aren't

We aren't if we don't bolster the squad, no, which is what I'm saying. There are reasons to do so, the prize money being one of the obvious ones.

The club appear to have the same mentality as you, awesome.

Who has said we're "1 point off" I certainly haven't, because we aren't.

I think we could finish above Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle and Chelsea, yes. They're inconsistent, even United are catchable, especially if they keep Ten Hag

With a couple of good signings, better VAR decisions over the remainder of the season and if Neto continues his pre injury form, Cunha, Hwang, Kilman, Gomes continue their consistently good form, it's possible.

However the TWF luminaries have decided we shouldn't bother ourselves and instead have started to ridicule me for even suggesting it, so we'll leave it at that.
You've forgotten one important ingredient... PGMOL have no interest in upsetting the status quo.

What are you after from the club though...

GK: We aren't changing Sa in mid-season, you rate him very highly anyway
RWB: I would like an attacking alternative to Semedo, the club feel Doherty is that player for now, wrongly
CH: We have 4 good ones (in this system) for 3 spots. Sure we could replace Mosquera but it would be fringe player for fringe player, he hasn't even made his league debut for Wolves yet
LWB: Not going to buy one, Ait-Nouri won't miss many more games
CM: Looks thin right now but less so in a couple of weeks. Four genuine first team options for two spots

Leaves a winger and a #9, which O'Neil says he wants, and we might get.

I don't think it'll make that much difference either way.

Last time I asked the question, it seems nobody knows what the extra CL place means in terms of total clubs in Europe. Is it an additional place or one less for the EL/C? Few ifs here, it being incremental, England getting that place, Liverpool winning the League Cup, one of the Top 6 winning the FA Cup, then the Conference League place would go to 8th

Can I just say I don’t think we have a hope in hell of making a European spot, before that becomes a thing.

My point earlier was mainly that, with our home form, with the togetherness in the squad & the fact the players are clearly on board with GON’s tactics - it seems a shame to just “muddle through” to the end of the season.

We should start looking upwards & forward rather than over our shoulders.

But no, I doubt we’ll make Europe. I’ll still be disappointed if Fosun don’t try & strengthen the squad, though. As we all should tbf/imhv.

Last time I asked the question, it seems nobody knows what the extra CL place means in terms of total clubs in Europe. Is it an additional place or one less for the EL/C? Few ifs here, it being incremental, England getting that place, Liverpool winning the League Cup, one of the Top 6 winning the FA Cup, then the Conference League place would go to 8th
As far as I know England could end up with 5 CL spots, 2 EL spots and 1 conference Lg spot.

That means it goes down to 8th in all likelihood or 7th if West Ham win something.

It's nice to have the conversation but realistically if we don't get another striker in then we're not remotely in the running.

Lose to Brighton on Monday and I think we don't get another striker and the owners will be happy finishing mid-table somewhere.

Did Newcastle and United's poor performances in the CL not effect England's coefficient negatively?

Did Newcastle and United's poor performances in the CL not effect England's coefficient negatively?
Won't matter if any of the remaining teams make the final and even less so if they win it.

It would be interesting to see what happens if English clubs win the lot which isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

It's not based on the traditional coefficient, it's based on points this season with a win in the Conference and EL being weighted the same as the CL so I believe. So Villa, West Ham, Liverpool, Brighton doing well offsets that.

Free transfer and we'll still pay a portion of his wages would be my guess

I might be wrong, but I don't think you can do that as such. I think you'd have to pay him off
Don't know if it's still a thing but players used to get payments if sold and they never asked to leave.
So if that happens...a small transfer fee and that is used to cover that payment

Leeds were paying Robbie Fowler for ages while he was a Man City player. Over 20 years ago now of course.

Ultimately he's never going to play for us again and has too long left on his deal to just cancel it, we've probably looked at the gross misconduct angle and decided that won't fly, he won't contribute for anyone we're in competition with as he's not even half the player he once was, so whatever percentage we can knock off the bill will have to do.

Back