• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

You get about 2.2million per place in the Premier league, by comparison for winning the League Cup you get £100k in prize money.

Bolstering the squad so we are more likely to finish higher up the league not only makes sense from a general point of view, it makes financial sense too.

Surely it only makes financial sense if you're paying less than the prize money? Is a £10m signing going to gain you 5 places to earn that money back? Even cumulatively over the length of their contract it's probably unlikely and that's not factoring in wages.

Champions League money is probably the only step up in prize money that really makes the investment in players the financially prudent thing to do, but even that's got it's limits.

Unless it is someone who is actually going to improve the 1st team though I'm not too fussed, Yerson needs games to become an option for next year and there isn't any point in another Dawson type signing to come and sit on the bench.

The only signing we really need is up front
I agree as regards CB but doesn't the same apply to a forward, are we likely to sign a forward that can challenge Neto, Hwang, Cunha and Sarabia for a place or a young up and coming player? Not sure we will.

I agree as regards CB but doesn't the same apply to a forward, are we likely to sign a forward that can challenge Neto, Hwang, Cunha and Sarabia for a place or a young up and coming player? Not sure we will.
We should we only have Fraser as a 9 even when Hwang is back, (and Hwang's currently injured)

Wonder if we’ll reach an agreement to cancel his contract to just get him off the books and then he can go there.

In other news, the asking price for Broja is now apparently £35m. Was £50m last week so if we hold out til the end of the window we can get him for £5m at this rate!

Wonder if we’ll reach an agreement to cancel his contract to just get him off the books and then he can go there.

In other news, the asking price for Broja is now apparently £35m. Was £50m last week so if we hold out til the end of the window we can get him for £5m at this rate!
Even at 5m, he's not shown much since his Southampton days has he? Difficult to judge with that club I suppose, Chelsea have spent crazy amounts of cash but still look all over the place.

Even at 5m, he's not shown much since his Southampton days has he? Difficult to judge with that club I suppose, Chelsea have spent crazy amounts of cash but still look all over the place.
Yeah, I’m not a fan. My mate who’s a Chelsea fan reckons he’ll thrive at “a club like Wolves”. Make of that what you will, the condescending swine.

Surely it only makes financial sense if you're paying less than the prize money? Is a £10m signing going to gain you 5 places to earn that money back? Even cumulatively over the length of their contract it's probably unlikely and that's not factoring in wages.

Champions League money is probably the only step up in prize money that really makes the investment in players the financially prudent thing to do, but even that's got it's limit.
That's incredibly simplistic, any player we sign isn't worth £0 it's an asset.

Time to can this 'we're nearly in Europe' lark, you might need 6th for qualification depending who wins the League Cup, if West Ham win later (they should) then they are 6th and will be 9 points above us. Further ahead of us than we are ahead of Forest.

Not happening.

Time to can this 'we're nearly in Europe' lark, you might need 6th for qualification depending who wins the League Cup, if West Ham win later (they should) then they are 6th and will be 9 points above us. Further ahead of us than we are ahead of Forest.

Not happening.
I bet you tell 3 year olds that Santa doesn't exist too...

Not happening.
You're probably right, cloud cuckoo land, however its the nature of football fans to hope for the best possible outcome to a season isn't it?

Get your fucking passports out lads
All ready for the Hwang Pre-Season tour?

(Only to cancel as we used Honest Bob's Travel Trips on Facebook...again, or sold Hwang and our "brand" has crashed there)

Get your fucking passports out lads
You've reminded me my passport runs out in June, ta.
In all seriousness, that run in the EL was my favourite period of Wolves fanship. I'd love another go.

Not happening.
That's the spirit.

Not happening.
With a game in hand...

So if West Ham lose and we beat Brighton might you be a little more optimistic?

Anyway, the point is it's better to look up than just bounce around the middle, if the fans can't even have hope then how are the players expected to stay motivated?

I want us to finish as high as we can, don't be silly. But it's a number of teams we have to overhaul, and to do so we'd need to be as good as flawless at home or massively improve the away form from the last 18 months. I don't think it's very likely, we aren't "1 point off" at all.

I want us to finish as high as we can, don't be silly. But it's a number of teams we have to overhaul, and to do so we'd need to be as good as flawless at home or massively improve the away form from the last 18 months. I don't think it's very likely, we aren't "1 point off" at all.
It's foolish talk...dunno where it all started from but I can guess one wag in the media... nearly as bad as when they were on about a top 4 finish a few years back.

Back