• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

I’d hope his English is decent now; FCC had him in private classes IIRC.

Not that learning English is… easy. And tbh he mostly communicated with Miazga by screaming in frustration and gesticulating wildly.

Not that learning English is… easy. And tbh he mostly communicated with Miazga by screaming in frustration and gesticulating wildly.

There's a difference between being able to speak a language and being able to understand complex tactical instructions though. His English lessons can continue in Spain but being taught how to defend for 6 months by a coaching team that have won cups and competed at a high level for over a decade in his native language could be invaluable.

Fair point, well made.

Mostly I just wanted to take the chance to say again that Yerson was crucial in Miazga winning MLS DotY. Also, we’re still in a place culturally where we’ll give awards like that to Americans when we can.

What I’m saying is that Yerson looked a leader for them very quickly, even with the language barrier. He really was impressive.

Go easy on yourself Al, you’re doing great.

I’ve been conditioned to assume anyone who speaks in a vaguely “British” (I know that’s like saying there’s one American accent, which of course is nonsense, but work with me here) is an absolute authority on the subject of conversation and not to be ignored.

You’ve no idea how much trouble it’s saved me that I read your posts and not hear them. I’d be a puddle in a corner.

Incidentally, my Siri does not have the standard voice…

I’ve been conditioned to assume anyone who speaks in a vaguely “British” (I know that’s like saying there’s one American accent, which of course is nonsense, but work with me here) is an absolute authority on the subject of conversation and not to be ignored.

You’ve no idea how much trouble it’s saved me that I read your posts and not hear them. I’d be a puddle in a corner.

I really hope you come to a game one day, just so you can hear Booz, Dan and Lycan converse.

Darth Vader?

I really hope you come to a game one day, just so you can hear Booz, Dan and Lycan converse.
giphy.webp

Wonder if it means we’ve got a defender coming in if Yerson is being lined up for another loan?

I appreciate he hasn’t featured yet, so we’re technically losing nothing - but we’ve seen recently how losing 1 or 2 players can significantly weaken the squad.

Or are we happy to remain with just Santi as cover for the first choice back three?

For what it’s worth, I reckon we’ll let Yerson go out & we won’t replace him in the squad.

Wonder if it means we’ve got a defender coming in if Yerson is being lined up for another loan?

I appreciate he hasn’t featured yet, so we’re technically losing nothing - but we’ve seen recently how losing 1 or 2 players can significantly weaken the squad.

Or are we happy to remain with just Santi as cover for the first choice back three?

For what it’s worth, I reckon we’ll let Yerson go out & we won’t replace him in the squad.
1 cover for 3 spots doesn't sound great to me.

I too wonder if we've got someone coming in who can maybe play CB and CM but also think we probably don't!

Yep, it's what we've done for the first half of the season. If we got 2 injuries/suspensions he'll either go with a 4 or play one of Lemina, Semedo or Doherty there and put Pond on the bench. Might not have gambled if we were lower in the table.

You get about 2.2million per place in the Premier league, by comparison for winning the League Cup you get £100k in prize money.

Bolstering the squad so we are more likely to finish higher up the league not only makes sense from a general point of view, it makes financial sense too.

Unless it is someone who is actually going to improve the 1st team though I'm not too fussed, Yerson needs games to become an option for next year and there isn't any point in another Dawson type signing to come and sit on the bench.

The only signing we really need is up front

You get about 2.2million per place in the Premier league, by comparison for winning the League Cup you get £100k in prize money.

Bolstering the squad so we are more likely to finish higher up the league not only makes sense from a general point of view, it makes financial sense too.
Agreed. Plus, as silly/unrealistic as it seems, win tomorrow and we’re a point off a potential European spot!

I don’t for a second think we’ll get European football next season, but it seems really small time to just settle for mid-table and “muddle” through. But that’s where Fosun are at.

I suppose it’s that whole ‘judge them at the end of the window’ thing, isn’t it.

The target is 17th, I doubt that's changed or that in Fosun towers they've any interest beyond it

Agreed. Plus, as silly/unrealistic as it seems, win tomorrow and we’re a point off a potential European spot!

I don’t for a second think we’ll get European football next season, but it seems really small time to just settle for mid-table and “muddle” through. But that’s where Fosun are at.

I suppose it’s that whole ‘judge them at the end of the window’ thing, isn’t it.
In the unlikely event we do win tomorrow then we may be thinking just that.

I think 4 for 3 isn't too bad tbh.

Back